PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A 19 Man Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We usually keep 23-27 players on offense. However, these 19 could get the vast majority of reps. I've included the rookie offensive linemen since they will almost assuredly make the roster.

THE CORE 19
QB - Brady, Garapollo
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Amendola
TE - Gronkowski, Chandler
RB - Blount
FB - Develin
OL - Solder, Cannon, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer, Fleming, Jackson, Mason
ST - Slater, Bolden

THE REST (4-8; 6 would give us 35 players on offense)
RB (we need more than Blount, Bolden, and Develin and RB and FB)
TE (we usually keep a blocking TE, although Fleming can perform that role)
WR (we usually keep at least one more)
OL (we are likely to keep a veteran in addition to the 8 listed above; that could be Connolly or Kline or a TBA

AS AN ASIDE
It seems to me that we could add a free agent LG and a free agent RB.

Last edited:
What happened to Vollmer?

Nevrmind..I see what you did...Unless Solder has a twin, you listed him twice LOL :eek:

I like the core 19. I think they are all a lock. To add to it IMO some of THE REST could be...

RB - Gray, Gaffney, White
TE - Hoomanawanui, Wright, Davis (this is an insane about of TE's and I think BB want's to nullify Revis among others in some regard with strength and size....so he can say "FU". I also think Davis and/or Wright can play a smidgen of WR and therefor we carry less WR's then usual. Another indicator is .... how many WR's did we draft?).
WR - Gibson, Dobson
OL - Connolly

I hear Mason is supposedly VG as a run blocker.....hope he is as advertised and can break into the lineup at some point. It will take awhile to solidify the OL but not as long as last year with all the shuffling BB did there.

Then there's always the red shirt year for a couple players ..the unmistakable IR list where BB protects players that he wants to develop. OOps...Look out for a Goodell sting operation vs Pats even tho every team does it.

Last edited:
We usually keep 23-27 players on offense. However, these 19 could get the vast majority of reps. I've included the rookie offensive linemen since they will almost assuredly make the roster.

THE CORE 19
QB - Brady, Garapollo
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Amendola
TE - Gronkowski, Chandler
RB - Blount
FB - Develin
OL - Solder, Cannon, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer, Fleming, Jackson, Mason
ST - Slater, Bolden

THE REST (4-8; 6 would give us 35 players on offense)
RB (we need more than Blount, Bolden, and Develin and RB and FB)
TE (we usually keep a blocking TE, although Fleming can perform that role)
WR (we usually keep at least one more)
OL (we are likely to keep a veteran in addition to the 8 listed above; that could be Connolly or Kline or a TBA

AS AN ASIDE
It seems to me that we could add a free agent LG and a free agent RB.
I think that several players in your core 19 are competing for roster spots.

• Blount appears to be a lock but if Gray and Gaffney outperform him he may be released after week 1, (they can keep until then because of his 1 games suspension.)
  • Bolden is in competition with Cadet for the 3DRB/ST player role.
  • Develin and Hooman will be in competition for the FB/TE role
  • Chandler and Derby will be in competition for the #2 TE role.
  • Of the group of #3 WRs and Joker TEs - Amendola, Wright, Davis, Gibson, Boyce, Dobson, Tyms, and Harper, I think 3 to 4 make the team.
  • Wendell and Kline will be in competition, and I expect them to bring Connolly back in the next few weeks.
The only locks I see on this team are -

QB - Brady, Garoppolo
RB - N/A
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Slater
TE - Gronkowski
OL - Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Stork, Jackson, Mason
DL - Jones, Easley, Brown, Ninkovich, Sheard, Grissom, Flowers
LB - Collins, Hightower, Mayo
DB - McCourty, Richards
ST - Gostkowski, Allen

Others may be very likely to make the roster (Siliga, Butler, Ryan, Harmon, Amendola, Blount, etc.) but they are not locks and not players I would refer to as “core”.

I hear Mason is supposedly VG as a run blocker.....hope he is as advertised and can break into the lineup at some point. It will take awhile to solidify the OL but not as long as last year with all the shuffling BB did there.

Then there's always the red shirt year for a couple players ..the unmistakable IR list where BB protects players that he wants to develop. OOps...Look out for a Goodell sting operation vs Pats even tho every team does it.
Too bad the whole 53 can't be active on game day. I'd love to see Mason in some short-yardage packages. Josh Kline will make the team IMO. He looked ok in the playoffs after Stork got hurt.

I think Gaffney beats out Gray. Bolden makes the cut. We pick up a vet as 3rd down back.

3rd TE could be any of the guys we have. I think Dobson makes it. 5th wr will be a camp battle.

Too bad the whole 53 can't be active on game day. I'd love to see Mason in some short-yardage packages. Josh Kline will make the team IMO. He looked ok in the playoffs after Stork got hurt.

I think Gaffney beats out Gray. Bolden makes the cut. We pick up a vet as 3rd down back.

3rd TE could be any of the guys we have. I think Dobson makes it. 5th wr will be a camp battle.
Shaq Mason is going to surprise a lot of people. He is a very talented player, his lack of height was the reason for him being on the board in the 4th still. He is an upgrade over Wendell long term.

LT – Solder
LG – Jackson
OC – Stork
RG – Mason
RT – Vollmer/Cannon

Looks to be a beast...let's hope it carries over to the NFL.

I think that several players in your core 19 are competing for roster spots.

• Blount appears to be a lock but if Gray and Gaffney outperform him he may be released after week 1, (they can keep until then because of his 1 games suspension.)
  • Bolden is in competition with Cadet for the 3DRB/ST player role.
  • Develin and Hooman will be in competition for the FB/TE role
  • Chandler and Derby will be in competition for the #2 TE role.
  • Of the group of #3 WRs and Joker TEs - Amendola, Wright, Davis, Gibson, Boyce, Dobson, Tyms, and Harper, I think 3 to 4 make the team.
  • Wendell and Kline will be in competition, and I expect them to bring Connolly back in the next few weeks.
The only locks I see on this team are -

QB - Brady, Garoppolo
RB - N/A
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Slater
TE - Gronkowski
OL - Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Stork, Jackson, Mason
DL - Jones, Easley, Brown, Ninkovich, Sheard, Grissom, Flowers
LB - Collins, Hightower, Mayo
DB - McCourty, Richards
ST - Gostkowski, Allen

Others may be very likely to make the roster (Siliga, Butler, Ryan, Harmon, Amendola, Blount, etc.) but they are not locks and not players I would refer to as “core”.

I'm using the word core to mean "almost a lock" and to mean that these players are very unlikely to beaten out for a roster spot. Obviously, you continue you belief that raw rookies will kick out veterans on a top team, but that's fine. We all have our biases.

RUNNING BACK
Your post indicates that
1) Blount, Gaffney and Gray are competing for one spot.
2) Cadet and Bolden are competing for another
Well, that gives you a roster of TWO running backs, including a special teamer. I find that to be extremely unlikely.

Blount could be beaten out for the starting role. Even so, he would not be cut. We need at least two 1st and 2nd round running backs. If you think that BOTH Gray and Gaffney will beat out Blount, I think that you are being unreasonable. There are TWO roster spots here and Blount will have one of them.

With regard to our 3rd down back, I don't have a clue with regard to who makes the roster. You think that Cadet and Bolden are competing for the position. I have it as Cadet, White and perhaps someone TBA.

You think that Bolden will not make the team as a special teamer. I think that he is is a backup as a 1st down back, a backup as a 3rd down back and a key special teamer. That enough for Bolden to make the squad as the 4th RB.

FULLBACK
Belichick and Josh like to have a fullback. They have one they like in Develin. If someone that is acquired can beat him out for a roster spot, that's fine. However that player is NOT Hooman. Hooman is incapable of being a fullback. Hooman is Gronk's backup. He stays only if Belichick values him in that role.

TIGHT END
Read my lips. Chandler is not going to be cut for Derby who may or may not make the Practice Squad.
There is competition for the 3rd TE roster spot (and 4th if we have one). Derby will get a look but is unlikely to beat out Davis, Wright, AND Hooman.

WIDE RECEIVERS
I think that you have too many. Also, if we keep FIVE wide receivers, Amendola will certainly be one of them.

Shaq Mason is going to surprise a lot of people. He is a very talented player, his lack of height was the reason for him being on the board in the 4th still. He is an upgrade over Wendell long term.

LT – Solder
LG – Jackson
OC – Stork
RG – Mason
RT – Vollmer/Cannon

This could be Belichick's long team hope. Personally, I don't think that Jackson has the skills to be a LG. Mason is a wildcard who has a high upside and a low down side. I expect Mason to be inactive all year. He needs the year of development, even if he is the hope to replace Wendell long-term.

I agree with your analysis. For me, barring an acquisition or a camp surprise, Kline will be our starter at LG.

I agree with your analysis. For me, barring an acquisition or a camp surprise, Kline will be our starter at LG.

I've got Wendell at LG and Fleming at RG. With Cannon and Kline on the gameday 46. Jackson and Mason will be brought along slowly IMO.

Unless they were a fairly high round pick, the only OL I recall recently starting in his rookie year that wasn't a first round pick is Stork. I'm probably wrong, but can someone name one off the top of their head?

I've got Wendell at LG and Fleming at RG. With Cannon and Kline on the gameday 46. Jackson and Mason will be brought along slowly IMO.

If Wendell can be counted on at LG, I don't think that there is any reason to even consider a veteran addition. I suspect that Jackson is more ready than Fleming to play RG.

LT – Solder
LG – Jackson
OC – Stork
RG – Mason
RT – Vollmer

IMO this is what BB had in mind when drafting Jackson and Mason. Jackson has stated he has no preference playing at RG or LG. Some guys it's easy to switch between the two....but for others it's like rocket science. Mason would be a monster run blocker at RG. His only problem people have mentioned is his lack of pass blocking skills. Article quotes...

MASON...
"Now that Mason is a member of Belichick's team after being selected in the fourth round this weekend, he'll be expected to continue to be a sponge when it comes to learning how to pass-protect."

"The thing I’ll say about Shaq is just watching him at the Senior Bowl, I mean it was only one week, but he made a huge improvement just in those, whatever it was four or five practices, whatever it was down there," Belichick said during a press conference on Saturday night following the draft. "His stance is different. You could see each day progressively how he was taking to the coaching down there and his footwork and his hand placement and his body position."
http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/belichick-confident-mason-can-improve-pass-blocking

JACKSON...
Question: What are the big differences between playing right guard and left guard?

Jackson: I don’t really feel that there are differences. The difference in the side is all I see.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/02/what-tre-jackson-had-to-say-after-being-drafted-by-patriots/

Last edited:
I'm using the word core to mean "almost a lock" and to mean that these players are very unlikely to beaten out for a roster spot. Obviously, you continue you belief that raw rookies will kick out veterans on a top team, but that's fine. We all have our biases.

RUNNING BACK
Your post indicates that
1) Blount, Gaffney and Gray are competing for one spot.
2) Cadet and Bolden are competing for another
Well, that gives you a roster of TWO running backs, including a special teamer. I find that to be extremely unlikely.

Blount could be beaten out for the starting role. Even so, he would not be cut. We need at least two 1st and 2nd round running backs. If you think that BOTH Gray and Gaffney will beat out Blount, I think that you are being unreasonable. There are TWO roster spots here and Blount will have one of them.

With regard to our 3rd down back, I don't have a clue with regard to who makes the roster. You think that Cadet and Bolden are competing for the position. I have it as Cadet, White and perhaps someone TBA.

You think that Bolden will not make the team as a special teamer. I think that he is is a backup as a 1st down back, a backup as a 3rd down back and a key special teamer. That enough for Bolden to make the squad as the 4th RB.

FULLBACK
Belichick and Josh like to have a fullback. They have one they like in Develin. If someone that is acquired can beat him out for a roster spot, that's fine. However that player is NOT Hooman. Hooman is incapable of being a fullback. Hooman is Gronk's backup. He stays only if Belichick values him in that role.

TIGHT END
Read my lips. Chandler is not going to be cut for Derby who may or may not make the Practice Squad.
There is competition for the 3rd TE roster spot (and 4th if we have one). Derby will get a look but is unlikely to beat out Davis, Wright, AND Hooman.

WIDE RECEIVERS
I think that you have too many. Also, if we keep FIVE wide receivers, Amendola will certainly be one of them.
Hooman played FB in college and in the NFL. He is plenty capable.

I have 4 WRs plus Slater. I do not think Amendola is a certainty. I think Dobson is a player who they still have aspirations for and with Wright able to play the slot position they may choose to go with Dobson over Amendola.

You said similar things about Anderson, Kelly, and Smith last offseason as you are about Chandler and they were beat out by younger players. It happens every year young players beat out veterans that you and others view as near locks.

James White will be the 3DRB the backup role and ST is what I was referring to with Cadet and Bolden.

I think you drank to much. I think they would put Cannon there again before they had Kline.

Do not rule out Cannon at LG. Belichick may have abandoned it in season but with a full offseason to make the switch he could come back to that.

Hooman played FB in college and in the NFL. He is plenty capable.

If Hooman were capable of playing FB, we wouldn't be wasting a split with Develin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down