Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the Patriots have a 10th consecutive winning season?

• NO! We are Doomed!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
. I don't even know if I could name a handful of players on their team that I feel has promise in the NFL(excluding 2010's draft class).

Your making my point of over exageration to try and prove yours as I can off the top of my head easily name a handful of guys with promise.

Mayo, Guyton, Edelman, and Vollmer say hi, guys who have already reached a degree of promise and who have plenty of room to get better
others who have not reached it yet but have high ceilings include Chung, Butler, Brace, Tate, Pryor, and many others.

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? said:
-I don't think their roster is very good on paper.
-Welker is injured and Moss is getting older.
-There are question marks at WR
-Their line can't run block
-Koppen keeps getting worse
-They still have question marks at DE, OLB, ILB, CB and S.
- Their defense can't make critical stops.
-Tom Brady and BB are the only reason they will have a winning season. Even Brady said himself he needs to play a lot better.

-Welker is injured and Moss is getting older.
Cant argue much with the Welker comment and Yes Moss is older but he also dealt with a handful of injuries last year which he fought thru to contribute and yes maybe the age is the reason but there is reason to think a Healthy Moss should put up better numbers than last year.

-There are question marks at WR
Sure there are but it would seem to be less of a question this than last so there is improvement and there is a lot of young talent that sure has questions but also could make this one of the best WR groups Brady has had. It would be though to pass 07 but I dont see why if Edelman continues his pace and if one of Tate or Price work out that this cant be better than any of the other groups.

-Their line can't run block
This should be much much better with A Vollmer playing more B with the Crumpler and Gronkowski and C if Neal can stay healthy.
-Koppen keeps getting worse
not even sure what to say here he has certainly declined a little as the years go on but you make it out like he isnt even worthy of a back up spot.

-They still have question marks at DE, OLB, ILB, CB and S.
The way you lump all these positions together begs the question who doesn't have question marks because for example the CB and S spots there are 4 safeties who have all started for you two of wich of well more than a seasons worth of starts, one of which has made a pro bowl, another is in his second year had a good amount of reps last year and was drafted at a spot where he comes with expectations at CB you have your best player from last year a guy with 5-7 picks, and you have vet in Springs who has had a great career and 4 young players none of which was drafted lower than rd 4 and one of which is a first rd pick from this year. Are there questions at DB sure but would I consider the questions to be big no and are there back up answers too?
- Their defense can't make critical stops.
They have gone a long way intrying to improve that. First they made moves to improve the Run stopping ability by bringing in a Vet RDE with the proper bulk for run stopping and an ILB with the proper bulk for run stopping, Second they further try to improve the secondary so that 3rd and long is harder to convert. Both should make the pass rush look better by first getting more pass rush chances and second by getting coverage longer. This should mean more stops and I also think they did have that bend dont break mentality back at points last year.
-Tom Brady and BB are the only reason they will have a winning season. Even Brady said himself he needs to play a lot better
They certainly are the main reason but if Hoyer were to play like Cassel did then I could still see this team with a winning record (doubtful they compete for titles but a winning recors would not be crazy).

strange, strange rsponse set.

1) 11-5 is fine for a SB contender.

2) The poll is about a winning season and there is nothing but SB, 11-5 and we are doomed. Last I heard 10-6 and even 9-7 would be a 10th consecutive winning season.

It's a little thing called mixing humor with semi-serious banter.

I have a good deal of faith that 75% of the people here understand that one more win over 8 would be a winning season. Except if that win came in the playoffs, but then it would have to be followed by a defeat at some time or it would mean another SB Championship.

Randy Moss led the AFC in TD receptions last year, with a separated shoulder.

Just saying, folks.

I think 11-5 is pretty reasonable. I'm most interested in how much the rookies are going to produce this year.

Ill be watching every game no matter what the record is and I'll be just as die hard no matter what happens, as opposed to "fans" like "Oh No! What's Down!" who will probably have moved on to some other team that boasts a whole slew of "big names!!!!"...

There really isn't anything positive to say about this team. I don't even know if I could name a handful of players on their team that I feel has promise in the NFL (excluding 2010's draft class).

This is painfully moronic.

From 18-1 to 11-5 to 10-7: 9-7 (and no POs) looks about right to me, as of today. But the reg. season doesn't start tomorrow, so I reserve the right to change my mind if I see improvement in certain areas as the off-season & then TC progress:

OL - Vollmer will improve the RT position, but Neal must stay healthy all season, because I see nobody on the roster capable of replacing him. Koppen, unfortunately, is a lost cause, and unless Ted Larsen becomes Bill's 2nd-best 6th-round draft pick ever, then the OL will never be as good as it could be until a legitimate starting-calibre Center is found.

WR - Welker is hors de combat; Moss is a lame duck; Aiken, Jenkins, Patten, Slater & Stanback = junk.
On the bright side, Torry Holt appears a perfect fit for the offense the way it used to be during the Good Old Days; Edelman has a full year as a Receiver under his belt, so the rapport btwn him & Brady should be much better; and Taylor Price has the deep speed to keep defenses honest, and is a very good blocker to boot - one of the very best in the draft.
If one of the 3 Bs - Brandon Tate, Bryan Anderson & Buddy Farnham - emerges as a dependable pass-catcher, then I'll feel better about this group; otherwise, there's just not enough depth to keep the starters fresh.

DE - We really need another Richard Seymour here, just without the money-first attitude. Mike Wright is a nice story, and is effective in limited snaps, but is not a starting-calibre 3-4 DE on a defense with SB aspirations. Unfortunately, he is the best athlete at the position besides an increasingly-injured Ty Warren; the rest are either too short (Gordon, Grady, Lewis, Love, Pryor) or too unathletic (Deaderick, Richard, G.Warren). I'd really love to find a Jarron Gilbert-type of stud for the position, who has the height/weight/wingspan to not only hold the POA, but wreck havoc in the backfield, too.

OLB - need I say more? When TBC - bless his heart - is your best player, then you are in big, big trouble.

Less-worrisome areas which could still use improvement:

S - Sorry, but I'm still not sold on Meriweather. He's too undisciplined, he goes for the FESPN Jacked Up hit at the expense of actually making the tackle, and I don't ever see him as one of the core leaders of the defense going forward. And please don't play the Pro Bowl card; those selections have been a joke for a long, long time.
At SS, Jimmy Sanders is simply not starting-calibre; Chung really needs to take the job by the end of TC.

CB - Bodden, Butler & McCourty should be a good threesome, but I'd like to find a more reliable 4th than Springs (an injury/retirement waiting to happen) or Wheatley/Wilhite (who just plain suck).

RB - I wish that Bill would find a young, wide-bodied down-hill Runner to groom when Morris & Taylor are finally sent to pasture (the sooner the better). LaMA needs some Thunder to go with his Lightning, but I don't think the Law Firm is that guy.

If I had taken over GM after the 2004 super bowl (when the team needed to look towards the future), it would've been a f*cking cake walk. This team wouldn't be in the position they are in now.

10 points for the best Mangini impersonation ever.

It's early and things could definitely change by the time the team starts, but at least now this team has greatly improved its character, attitude, and toughness. I think the defense is better situated personnel wise compared to last year, especially on the front 7. Welker will definitely be missed but I have high hopes for Edelman in the interim and think Taylor Price can step in and take over the 3rd WR spot right out the gate. There are always the surprise players, too. A couple of guys are going to come out of nowhere to get some serious playing time.

Having said that, they have a very tough schedule and 11 wins is going to be their ceiling in terms of wins. Their ability to make the playoffs is really going to hinge on how well the AFC and NFC North teams turn out to be. If the Steelers and Bengals are below average teams, the Vikings have to start someone other than Brett Favre, and we manage a split with the Chargers and Colts we'll find our way in September. That is, of course, a tall order. The deck seems to be stacked against us while we enter what is hopefully the final phases of our retooling years.

It's early and things could definitely change by the time the team starts, but at least now this team has greatly improved its character, attitude, and toughness. I think the defense is better situated personnel wise compared to last year, especially on the front 7. Welker will definitely be missed but I have high hopes for Edelman in the interim and think Taylor Price can step in and take over the 3rd WR spot right out the gate. There are always the surprise players, too. A couple of guys are going to come out of nowhere to get some serious playing time.

Having said that, they have a very tough schedule and 11 wins is going to be their ceiling in terms of wins. Their ability to make the playoffs is really going to hinge on how well the AFC and NFC North teams turn out to be. If the Steelers and Bengals are below average teams, the Vikings have to start someone other than Brett Favre, and we manage a split with the Chargers and Colts we'll find our way in September. That is, of course, a tall order. The deck seems to be stacked against us while we enter what is hopefully the final phases of our retooling years.

Don't be so sure about Price. I have high hopes for him too but he's going against some young competition in TC, least of all is Brandon Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down