PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

98.7 The Sports Hub is better than WEEI... ALREADY

Status
Not open for further replies.
The few times I've flipped to 98.5 (it's actually not 98.7) I've heard amateur-sounding hosts, a lot of references to each other, and bad comedy pieces. So it's pretty much like 'EEI with a little less patting-themselves-on-the-back, a little less yelling, and a little less blowhardery.

I'll give them time since they're young, but on a 1-10 scale here I think we're talking a 2 (WEEI) vs. a 3 ("Sports Hub").

Bottom line: if I happen to catch either station interviewing a player or coach, it's good radio. Otherwise, I only listen for sports ticker updates and home-team games.

Funny you mentioned that about Zo and Tanguay today. Yesterday they said, "today we are talking some baseball but tomorrow will be wall to wall football". So much for that.

DA is still making contacts in Boston. I would give him time. I honestly have not listened to him. I'll check him out soon enough. However, I have no problem with national guys calling in and giving a different perspective than what I can read in the local papers.

I think the morning show will do fine. It did great numbers on BCN and with the college kids coming back soon, it will see an increase in listenership. They pride themselves on doing "guy radio". I find some of it humorous, other parts are immature and annoying but they strive to be the anti-D&C.

Also, it should be noted that the July PPM ratings show WEEI's ratings dropping BEFORE the launch of 98.5...

DA is a Giants and Yankees fan. Fresh off a couple of years in Miami. Competing not just with Mikey but with dinner and TV... Mike has a niche audience that probably barely makes it worth WEEI's while to program in that slot.

If the AM guys did great numbers with BCN it would still exist. Most of their listener base are transients often sleeping in or attending class when they're on. D&C's demographic lives here and has a lot more disposable income...as well as issues...of which sports are only the tip of the iceberg.

If you don't appeal to one or another of the fellowship of the miserable demographic's in this region you won't be around long because they are what fuels sports talk radio ratings.

The few times I've flipped to 98.5 (it's actually not 98.7) I've heard amateur-sounding hosts, a lot of references to each other, and bad comedy pieces. So it's pretty much like 'EEI with a little less patting-themselves-on-the-back, a little less yelling, and a little less blowhardery.

I'll give them time since they're young, but on a 1-10 scale here I think we're talking a 2 (WEEI) vs. a 3 ("Sports Hub").

Bottom line: if I happen to catch either station interviewing a player or coach, it's good radio. Otherwise, I only listen for sports ticker updates and home-team games.

WEEI has most of the choice interview talent locked up between Patriots Monday and Friday. Those deal are generally exclusives. I know 98.5 was touting a BB call in last Friday but it apparently never materialized. Their leg up access wise seems to be limited to the pre game show, which on Sunday's won't get much play because of the TV network pre game shows it competes against, not to mention because it subjects listeners to Gresh...

WEEI has most of the choice interview talent locked up between Patriots Monday and Friday. Those deal are generally exclusives. I know 98.5 was touting a BB call in last Friday but it apparently never materialized. Their leg up access wise seems to be limited to the pre game show, which on Sunday's won't get much play because of the TV network pre game shows it competes against, not to mention because it subjects listeners to Gresh...

The real problem is that EEI refuses to talk football, so any football talk attracts listeners from this board. I can't stand baseball talk, it is almost as boring as watching the game on TV.

The real competition will start when football season opens, then the stations will be going head to head. Maz and Felger do nothing for me. Zo is a good football guy, but he is kind of odd. The morning show on both stations are only white noise. By this time in the season, everybody is sick of talking about the Sox, the only time people want to talk about them is when they lose, then we get the get a lifers spouting about subjects they don't have a clue about.

In a month we willfind out how good the "Sports Hub" really is. If they can compete with EEI during football season, something nobody else has been able to do so far, there will be cause for hope.

DA is a Giants and Yankees fan. Fresh off a couple of years in Miami. Competing not just with Mikey but with dinner and TV... Mike has a niche audience that probably barely makes it worth WEEI's while to program in that slot.

If the AM guys did great numbers with BCN it would still exist. Most of their listener base are transients often sleeping in or attending class when they're on. D&C's demographic lives here and has a lot more disposable income...as well as issues...of which sports are only the tip of the iceberg.

If you don't appeal to one or another of the fellowship of the miserable demographic's in this region you won't be around long because they are what fuels sports talk radio ratings.

I agree the night time slot is not a big maker for any radio station, but if DA proves himself and someone leaves by their own or other accord, he could get the spot. DA may be a Giants and Yankees fan, but you would never know it listening to him. He seems very knowledgable about both the Pats and Sox and plays it pretty unbiased. It isn't unusual for a fan of other teams to come to a market as a radio or TV host and become a fan of the teams he/she is covering at least for the air.

As for Toucher and Rich, in Spring book 2007 they were #1 in the Demo for the 18-44 men and #3 overall for all 18-34 year olds for afternoon drive (those are the only hard numbers I could find). They were big in afternoon drive. They were only on morning drive since December 2, 2008. So their morning numbers are hard to gage. WBCN died because Howard Stern left, David Lee Roth and then Opie and Anthony couldn't get a sliver of his ratings, and the modern rock format is dying all over the country because there is no good modern rock. Toucher and Rich were the only bright spot in the WBCN line up, but by the time they moved them to mornings the station was already a goner and the format couldn't substain an audience on any other day part. Toucher and Rich came with the new station when they moved because they have a following.

As for fellowship of the miserable radio, it fuels the callers to WEEI. I don't know if it actually fuels the listenership of WEEI. Only time will tell, but callers usually only represent less than 3% of most radio stations audiences and doesn't always represent the general listeners' interests or beliefs. That is why you hear the same callers calling into WEEI (and any other radio station) week after week and becoming "celebrities" in their own right.

Again, I don't care if 98.5 beats WEEI. I just want them there as an alternative to WEEI. I have been satisfied with the programming so far. It could be better at times, but it has been a good alternative to WEEI. The general reaction of people who have actually listened to the station and not just written it off because of names like Felger, Masoratti, and Gresh have had a similiar reaction.

Last edited:
You make not like him, but Felger does bring in good ratings. I don't like Mas a lot, wouldn't mind seeing him replaced. Zo and Tanguay is pretty good too.

I've listened to The Sports Hub-can't say I'm too impressed as of yet. I realize they need some time to get going, but I'm not overly optimistic given the talent they've amassed.

98.5 has the games. They will get guests. Only about a 6-8 players are tied up to appearances on Patriots Mondays and Fridays. They won't get Brady. But they will get Belichick at times since Belichick did appear on ESPN 890 at times prior to the creation of Patriots Sunday. Guys like Mayo, Welker, Meriweather, Fred Taylor, AD, Burgess, etc. do not have any affiliation with either station. Also, WEEI lost Harrison and may lose Bruschi if Dale Arnold's prediction comes true from today that Bruschi may not make it on the final 53 man roster.

Personally, other than Brady and Belichick, I find player/coaches interviews to be kinda boring. Most of the Pats players are taught to say nothing anyway. Only Brady and Belichick give any real insight on a regular basis. I don't care if there are players on either channel to be perfectly honest with you.

I like to bounce around the dial. I spend 90% on sports radio trying to avoid
steroid talk. When I hear the Steriod talk, All I hear is Charlie Browns teachers
voice. (Bwaaa Blaah... Bwaaa Blaah). I cannot believe people stay on hold
for 45 minutes to talk steroids.

I am no fan of D&C, but I also am no fan of the 98.5 early Show "Turner & Hooch - or whatever there name is".

WBCN is history - Stick a fork in Turner & Hooch.

Tangway/Zolack & Felger/Mazerotti are worth listening to.

That's just bs... Lobel is virtually unlistenable, that's why WBZ finally cut the cord. And the sidekicks are just that. I surf when I'm in the car so while the comment was from the other day it's based on a larger sample size.

I'll agree Lobel's next cogent thought will be his first one in a while, but he hardly chimes in at all. Winter & Valley carry the show, and they are much more into football than the folks on EEI. They know a lot more about sports and the playing of those sports than the folks on EEI, aside from those specifically brought on to talk football. Talk about unlistenable, there are times when EEI sounds like 4 Lobels yelling at each other at the same time.

Last edited:
The Mid day show has been pretty solid today (on 98.5). I usually enjoy Holley, but Dale is just unlistenable to me.

Color me a bit surprised that so many don't like Toucher and Rich. Yes, they're still trying to fit into their new roles with more focus on sports than on music (they used to have musicians call in from time to time to promote shows etc.) so it, at times, seems forced. However, their comedy bits and personal stories can be highly entertaining. You wouldn't believe some of the hilarious characters they've brought to the air just by being out on the streets at the right time in the right place with a tape recorder.

However, I can now only listen for short periods of time in the morning though, so perhaps the bits that I loved in the PM have faded away with the move to AM and now the transition to a completely different station.

Let me ask a stupid question: What's the point of 100% sports talk all day for people who listen beyond just their commutes? What, beyond player/coach interviews, the occasional bit of important breaking news and boxscore type updates does one exactly glean from listening to pure sports talk in the first place?

Color me a bit surprised that so many don't like Toucher and Rich. Yes, they're still trying to fit into their new roles with more focus on sports than on music (they used to have musicians call in from time to time to promote shows etc.) so it, at times, seems forced. However, their comedy bits and personal stories can be highly entertaining. You wouldn't believe some of the hilarious characters they've brought to the air just by being out on the streets at the right time in the right place with a tape recorder.

However, I can now only listen for short periods of time in the morning though, so perhaps the bits that I loved in the PM have faded away with the move to AM and now the transition to a completely different station.

Let me ask a stupid question: What's the point of 100% sports talk all day for people who listen beyond just their commutes? What, beyond player/coach interviews, the occasional bit of important breaking news and boxscore type updates does one exactly glean from listening to pure sports talk in the first place?

Agree with all of this. i love it that they mix it up and don't talk strickly sports.

Andy Gresh annoys me! Ultimate loudmouth frat boy.

Well ... I have news for them. Many young guys in their 20's are up rather late at night. I could be wrong but most of their demographic is sleeping when they are on.

As far as me liking them ... well I just turned 50 so I guess I'm missing it. :idontgetit::confused2::confused3:

Those of us in our 20s don't have jobs now?

If the AM guys did great numbers with BCN it would still exist. Most of their listener base are transients often sleeping in or attending class when they're on.

No, the problem with BCN is the same problem WAAF has. Their demographic turns in to listen to music, and they don't play any of it in the morning. Yes, traditionally music based programs have done poorly in the AM, but I don't think that would have been the case with BCN's demographic.

Andy Gresh annoys me! Ultimate loudmouth frat boy.

Agree with you wholeheartedly, why in the world the Patriots allow someone as crappy as that in their pre-game show is beyond me. I was just listening then that fat piece of donkey dodo came on and I turned it of immediately.

I hadn't caught Gary and Zo yet so I just tuned in and it's apparently Redsox hour... Varitek's neck and the 4th starter on a team 6+ games out. Until their feed cut out and it went to commercial to fill the air...

The morning show won't fly given it's limited demographic appeal. Felger and Maz present their own set of problems and given the committments WEEI has locked up via Patriots Monday and Friday...

The new PM guy has no access or basis so listening to him is like listening to an impersonal and unconnected observer from ESPN or FOX talk Boston sports. His call in guests are mediots. That's paint drying.

I'm gonna turn off the sox talk now...

I've listened to Zolak and Tanguay a few times now and did the switch comparison to 'EEI and they definitely talk more Pats; at least, in the times I've check. The other day they were taking calls from people who wanted to talk Patriots IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY IN AUGUST! When was the last time we heard that on 'EEI? I've maintained all along that 'EEI pushes incessant Sox talk because of commercial ties to the team, not out of listener demand. This new station is helping prove that.

The 98.5 PM guy I'm not that familiar with, but the way I see it ANYONE is a welcome alternative to Adams, who stopped developing socially at age 14.

I will say that Felger needs to rein in the gonzo approach a tad. He sent me back to 'EEI temporarily yesterday with his idiotic rant comparing Burress to Vick and concluding the Burress case was "infinitely worse" because "come on people, with Vick it was only dogs."

The only other thing is I wish they'd get rid of Andy Gresh. He knows football, but he's a freakin' Steelers fan and can't shut up about it. Who needs that on Patriots broadcasts?

That point alone is why I am now listening to the new station all the time.

The "celebrity" moron callers are just that; 99% of them (the toothless loser from Gloucester, Steve from Fall River, Dakota from Braintree, John from Medford, etc, etc) are all one trick ponies. I am sick and tired of the same rants over and over and over from them; the only good callers to EEI were the random guys.

Anyone who calls constantly to talk radio is not wrapped too tight..............

This is a great Rob/Felger/98.5 PR staff talking point. Unfortunately, if you've been listening to WEEI lately, its become a half truth that Felger is using to try and drum up support for his show. Listening lately, there seems to be a concerted effort on EEI to tone down these twits. I haven't heard John from Medford or Steve in Fall River in a month. Frank gets blown up within seconds.

And even if Felger claims its true, it unfortunately is not, as I've heard all three of those guys on 98.5's weekend shows. It's also great to have a classy guy like Felger on the air, who yesterday categorized a counter argument to his point as "******ed, ******ed, ******ED !" Take that you special needs children.

I know this is a football board, but if you're a Sox fan it didn't get much better than yesterday's Big Show with Schilling and Merloni. I'll take my Varitek opinions from two guys that played with him, and not two angry writers who couldn't get quotes from him.

There also has been as much baseball talk on 98.5 as on EEI, with the exception of the night guy who has done a ton of football. I'm just waiting for him to offer up an opinion on something... don't like the way he plays it down the middle on every single topic.

Plus Chris Price is cohosting today on EEI... they get points for that too.

The only other thing is I wish they'd get rid of Andy Gresh. He knows football, but he's a freakin' Steelers fan and can't shut up about it. Who needs that on Patriots broadcasts?

Eggs-actly, Batman.

The fact that this grotesque Gresh is being paid to talk football in our market is an insult to us all. Why Kraft would want to insult us like this is a complete mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes