PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

90s Bills with 0 SB titles will outnumber 3x Patriots in Canton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, I can think of a few games just this year where he did that.

What games do you think he has truly dominated his opponent this year? - And were those teams decent?

What games do you think he has truly dominated his opponent this year? - And were those teams decent?

The Denver game, for starters. That was probably his most dominant; I wouldn't even think that that one, at least, would be in question.

ESPN - '90s Bills will outnumber champion Pats in Canton - AFC East

Interesting look at this but as we all know in here its a team game with no one as a really special standout on this team other than Brady - Tom may be the only player of a 3x champion team to get to Canton while Buffalo may send multiple players on a team that was beaten in the SB 4X in a row

It is what it is
The thing being, most of the players who have been part of the Patriot dynasty are not yet eligible for the HOF. Just wait another 15 years.

Weird, I can think of a few games just this year where he did that.

Seymour played in 14 games this year with only 34 tackles and 18 assists - Not exactly impressive numbers when you average it out to just 2.5 tackles and 1.2 assists per game - he rarily possesses any type of pass rushing presence anymore as well

You are a diehard homer and its the only reason you think he will make the HOF - unless he becomes suddenly good again, face the facts

Seymour has been an above average but nothing spectacular defensive lineman for the past 4 years and has been injured 2 or more games each year since 2004

Last edited:
Seymour played in 14 games this year with only 34 tackles and 18 assists - Not exactly impressive numbers when you average it out to just 2.5 tackles and 1.2 assists

You are a diehard homer and its the only reason you think he will make the HOF - unless he becomes suddenly good again, face the facts

Seymour has been an above average but nothing spectacular defensive lineman for the past 4 years and has been injured 2 or more games each year since 2004

Do you have any idea how the Pats' 3-4 works? defensive linemen in this scheme will never put up numbers comparable to 4-3 defensive linemen. If you think that you can judge Seymour solely on tackles, then it's no surprise that you have no idea what you're talking about.

btw, he also dominated the Rams game and came up big in the second Jets game.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea how the Pats' 3-4 works? defensive linemen in this scheme will never put up numbers comparable to 4-3 defensive linemen. If you think that you can judge Seymour solely on tackles, then it's no surprise that you have no idea what you're talking about.

btw, he also dominated the Rams game and came up big in the second Jets game.

When he once again dominates a few games against a GOOD team then you can spew out more details - The Rams,Jets and Broncos all suck

He did nothing when we needed him to against the Steelers,Colts,Chargers and Dolphins who all are teams who made the playoffs

Just stop with all these excuses you are spewing - The truth is you have to finally submit to the facts that Seymour will likely never be the same he once was and will probably be let to go elsewhere in the offseason

Face it,He is no longer a huge threat to coaches of teams planning against the 3-4 of the Patriots and the next time you see Richard he probably will be wearing a uniform of another team.

Last edited:
When he once again dominates a few games against a GOOD team then you can spew out more details - The Rams,Jets and Broncos all suck

He did nothing when we needed him to against the Steelers,Colts,Chargers and Dolphins who all are teams who made the playoffs

Just stop with all these excuses you are spewing - The truth is you have to finally submit to the facts that Seymour will likely never be the same he once was and will probably be let to go elsewhere in the offseason

Face it,He is no longer a huge threat to coaches of teams planning against the 3-4 of the Patriots and the next time you see Richard he probably will be wearing a uniform of another team.

The Rams were playing very well when we played them, and, without Seymour's performance, chances are that the Pats would have lost the game. He also played very well in the Steelers and Chargers games (I got belligerently drunk and angry during the Colts game, so I can't really speak to how well he played in that one). If you're looking for reasons why the Pats lost the games that they lost, Seymour isn't it.

How do you know that he isn't a major threat that gets gameplanned around? As I recall, teams went pretty far out of their way not to run at Seymour this year- he had a huge role in the Pats getting teams into a lot of third-and-longs.

As for your certainty that Seymour will be cut this season, care to place some kind of a friendly wager on that? Because I'm pretty certain that he won't be- Belichick, unlike you, understands that Seymour-caliber players don't grow on teams, and that he's the kind of guy whose presence makes an entire defense significantly better. Even with his salary, I doubt that Seymour's going anywhere.

Last edited:
The Rams were playing very well when we played them, and, without Seymour's performance, chances are that the Pats would have lost the game. He also played very well in the Steelers and Chargers games (I got belligerently drunk and angry during the Colts game, so I can't really speak to how well he played in that one). If you're looking for reasons why the Pats lost the games that they lost, Seymour isn't it.

How do you know that he isn't a major threat that gets gameplanned around? As I recall, teams went pretty far out of their way not to run at Seymour this year- he had a huge role in the Pats getting teams into a lot of third-and-longs.

As for your certainty that Seymour will be cut this season, care to place some kind of a friendly wager on that? Because I'm pretty certain that he won't be- Belichick, unlike you, understands that Seymour-caliber players don't grow on teams, and that he's the kind of guy whose presence makes an entire defense significantly better. Even with his salary, I doubt that Seymour's going anywhere.

If there is a DL in FA that BB determines to be cheaper and not such a downgrade from Seymour then he probably will not overpay Richard and sign a FA - IMO Richard's future with this team only continues if there is no good DL that BB sees could become his replacement.

I will probably be posting a thread soon that pertains to this for available veteran NFL DE/DL in this years crop and who members here would like to see signed up.

Tom Brady: Sure thing first ballot hall of famer

Bill Belichick: See Tom Brady

Bob Kraft: See Tom Brady, Bill Belichick

Here's where things get tricky. The NFL Hall of Fame is a joke. This is a frequent topic of Coldhardfootballfacts.com and I agree with them whole heartidly. Offensive players are overhyped and overvalued while defenders and special teams players are cast aside as after thoughts when it comes to HOF voting.

Troy Brown: Absolutely deserves to make it but won't.

Ty Law: Was the best corner in the game while the Pat's won their Superbowls. Deserves to make it and probably will.

Rodney Harrison: Best safety in the game for a good portion of his career. Major part of the Pat's two straight Superbowl victories. Will probably get in someday.

Richard Seymour: Started off strong and promising but has faded big time over the last couple seasons. Doesn't have the stats to get in. Barring major resurgence doesn't make the HOF.

Wilfork: Potential to make it but doesn't have the resume yet. If Fred Smerles, the man who invented the NT position and played it as well as anyone ever has isn't in the hall how does Vince make it? The third strike he has is his single Superbowl ring. He doesn't stand out enough.

Tedy Bruschi: Absolutely deserves to make it. He was a dominating, turnover producing player for the majority of his career. I will never forget him taking the ball away from Dominick Rhodes (it was Rhodes right?) in the 2004 season playoff game against the Colts. He was a key cog of a truly dominant defense for three Superbowl seasons. Is it a coincidence that their defense hasn't been the same since he suffered a stroke after the 2004 season?

Vrabel: Great player but doesn't have the stats or career longevity to make or deserve the Hall.

Adam Vinateria: If he doesn't make the Hall then the voters are basically telling the public that the kicking position means absolutely nothing. I'd vote him in first ballot, it won't happen but he deserves it and will definately make it in one day.

Ted Johnson: The Patriots always had dominating run defenses and he was a major reason why. I think he deserves to make it because of his three Superbowl wins but there's no way in hell he's voted in.

Willie McGinest: Another player who led historically good defenses but won't make the HOF. I think he deserves to get in but like Ted Johnson and Tedy Bruschi the voters will pass over McGinest to vote in an offensive player who most likely never played in a Superbowl let alone won one. Someone like Shaun Alexander or Tomlinson comes to mind.

The Hall of Fame is a joke and should be treated as such until they start voting in more defensive players and special teamers. The End.

ESPN - '90s Bills will outnumber champion Pats in Canton - AFC East

Interesting look at this but as we all know in here its a team game with no one as a really special standout on this team other than Brady - Tom may be the only player of a 3x champion team to get to Canton while Buffalo may send multiple players on a team that was beaten in the SB 4X in a row

It is what it is

"It is" ESPN stirring the anti-Pats pot.

Nonetheless, the facts can't be disputed, though I would be one of those who argue that Number 4 will be in Canton (as will certainly BB, but we're just talking players here). Still this is essentially an apples to oranges comparison as those Bills teams were pre-cap.

In the final analysis, football is a team sport and there is only one ticket to the NFL's "HOF" for teams: Lombardi trophies. It is a much more exclusive "HOF" than Canton; and, a billion people worldwide watch the Super Bowl every year.

The modern era of the NFL is usually viewed as starting in 1946 with the beginning of Bert Bell's reign as Commisioner. Since that time, the NFL has crowned 62 champions, 42 of them in the SB era.

Putting that in further perspective, I don't think that most people realize that only 17 Franchises have actually won a Super Bowl (only 26 have even gone to one).

Of those 17; three franchises have won five (Cowboys, '49ers, Steelers); five franchises have won three (Giants, Packers, Patriots, Raiders, Redskins); three franchises have won two (Broncos, Colts, Dolphins); six franchises have won one (Bears, Bucs, Chiefs, Jets, Rams, Ravens).

So, yeah, the 1980's Bills may have more guys in Canton, but the 2000's Pats belong to a much more exclusive club.

Canton recognizes individual effort; there are currently 247 players, coaches and contributers in the HOF (roughly 200 from the modern era). Going there is an inconceivable honor for most players and in no way can it be downplayed. Nonetheless, the induction ceremonies are basically "insider" affairs, attended mostly by the media along with fans of the players who are being honored in a particular year and watched by a modest TV audience in August.

Please note that I am a student of the history of the NFL and I know what it means for an individual to join the immortals in Canton, but I am just arguing that winning an SB is a lot more significant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back