Welcome to PatsFans.com

$900,000,000,000

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

As the Squeaker of the House seems to think we're getting a bargain with the healthcare bill coming in at a mere $900 Billion, I though I should remind everyone that's $3,000 per person (not per taxpayer, per person) over 10 years. A family of 4 ? That's $12K.

Have a good night.
  2. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

What does the average family of four pay a month in health care premiums?
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I know you probably feel as smug as Palin or Bush do after they think they've said something smart... BUT... this price tag is not more expensive than the 1.5Trillion spent on health care annually, mostly through private insurance.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The $900B doesn't replace the private insurance. It's in addition to it.
  5. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

See when you say that it makes my ears perk up.... If we spend collectively 900 bil. on private insurance, why would I think that the government can get us the same level of care for almost half as much. It just doesn't pass the intuition test. I know what your gonna say, they'll clean it up and find saving and so on. How the hell are they going to insure more people at close to half the cost. Doesn't pass the intuition test, well for non lemmings anyway.....
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I pay $355 a month and my employer pays about $700. About $1K a month total. But, again, the $900B is in addition and will make the premiums higher due to the additional taxes on insurance companies and the mandate on insurance accepting anyone with pre existing conditions.
  7. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That number would go down due to subsequent switch from private plans. So there is offset.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The $900 Billion just moves the percentage of insured from 84% to 93%. It doesn't pay for the coverage of the currently insured.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

No there isn't. This number is to pay for a little over half of the currently uninsured. It's not "free healthcare for all". You would still be paying your insurance, almost certainly MORE.
  10. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think when you boil it all down they haven't adressed any of the issues that could start to rectify the flaws in our current sysstem. They still are just selling themselves out to special interest groups.
  11. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Those whom are privately insured would switch to a public option. In the backus bill employers aren't required to cover employees so you would think people would be more reliant on public plans?
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Correct. They've paid off the AMA by promises higher increases in the Medicare gap and they've agreed to lay off the pharmaceuticals by having them kick some money in.

Where it didn't work is insurance companies. They wanted their buy in by mandating everyone has to get insurance (equals more customers). But insurance is on the losing end due to the mandate on pre existing conditions and the very low "fine" for not getting insurance. Insurance companies realized their costs would go up and the "fine" would be low enough to not get the new customers they were looking for.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's two different issues.

What you're saying, I agree that employers WOULD push employees onto a public plan. Yes. However . . . that's not part of the $900B. The $900B is just for the currently uninsured, it doesn't take into account the unknown of people leaving private insurance. So I agree with what you're saying but it's not paid for in the $900B.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, we get it, flat earthers:

$3 trillion for unnecessary war = good
    $1 trillion for health care reform = bad
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Separate issues, man.

Didn't you say you were leaving months ago ?
  16. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You know we have an insurance industry that is an important and vital part to our economy. They should be finding ways to make them more competitive with one another. Even if that means coming up with a plan that is a fail safe for families and individuals. Let them compete over this predetermined plan based on price. People would have the impetus to work for their coverage and yet they would be guaranteed a plan that is affordable and encompassing. Everything else that's wrong with the system such as billing and tort reform can be addressed separately. They are trying to kill an industry when they have the power to make them more efficient and force their hand.
  17. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Powering down as it were? I'll be your strawman!
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

19. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Actually most of the plan doesn't kick in for 5 years so the first five years are a wash. Most of those costs are over the second five years when it figures to be $3000 a person over 5 years, over $600 a year.
    Put another way, it will cost $900B on a $1.5T system, over 60% cost on top of the existing health care system....
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You are correct that they had the CBO "score" it with the tax increases over 10 years but the new costs over about 6 years. Aside from that it is a massive tax increase on ALL of us, not just the rich. And it's even bigger when factoring in your point.