PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

9-3 feels great...but something is still missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats have been missing some of their best players on defense the last month or so. Chung, Spikes, and Fletcher haven't played in a while. Those three will significantly upgrade this team.

BTW, have you watched the rest of the league? You can still say there is something not right with most of the playoff teams. The Steelers almost lost to the Chiefs last week. The Packers' defense got torched by the Giants yesterday. Baltimore has gotten beaten by several bad teams and if they have to rely on Flacco they struggle. Whoever wins the Super Bowl this year will not be a remotely complete team because there are no complete teams in the NFL.

Agreed. I also believe that no HC gets more out of a team in the Regular Season than BB.

The SB is won by the team that has positioned itself for the Post-season and can get hot and play consistently from the middle of December until the SB. All we have to do is look at the Pack last year and the Giants in...well, um, you know...in "that year."

What I do worry about is the Pats' getting the monkey off their backs and winning that first playoff game in Foxboro. By the time they take the field in January it will have been nearly four years since they won a playoff game and the two they've lost have been in the "friendly confines of Foxboro."

Last edited:
Patriots fans have whined during every season about our weaknesses. For many here, the glass is always 1/4 full or less. Every team in the nfl is flawed. We often criticize the media. After all, they think that Belichick has done exceedingly well this year and that we have a fine team, leading the AFC. They believe that we should be proud of being one of the best 3 teams in the AFC and one of the best 6 in the nfl. No one know who will be playing the best when we start the playoff, and who will win.

This very flawed team wins the division almost every year. We always have a winning team. I understand that for many, all that matters is whether we win the Super Bowl. And that joy last about one minute. They then start whining about weakness in the next year's team.

This team's missing both a defense and an outside receiver who can beat press man coverage.

That's why they record isn't inspiring more chest beating among Patriots fans. The fans are smart enough to know a flawed team when they see one, and they see major flaws with this team.

The good news is that a bye would mean only 2 playoff games to get to the Super Bowl, with only 1 of those even possibly being on the road.

This team's missing both a defense and an outside receiver who can beat press man coverage.

That's why they record isn't inspiring more chest beating among Patriots fans. The fans are smart enough to know a flawed team when they see one, and they see major flaws with this team.

The good news is that a bye would mean only 2 playoff games to get to the Super Bowl, with only 1 of those even possibly being on the road.

And, I'm not even sure that going on the road for the AFCCG is all that bad a thing. We have some sort of post season hex over the Steelers at Heinz field.

the fact that so many of these guys are frail prevents anyone from acting with the future in mind. looks more like the patching of a sinking ship than some measure of a future design

You really ought to find another team to root for. Seriously.

And, I'm not even sure that going on the road for the AFCCG is all that bad a thing. We have some sort of post season hex over the Steelers at Heinz field.

How'd the "we own the Steelers" thing work out earlier this season?

I think the Patriots have the offense (read: Brady) to beat any team in the NFL under the right circumstances, but the Steelers and Ravens are both better teams than the Patriots once you take the QB out of the mix, imo.

Can't believe people on this board view Baltimore and Pittsburgh as equals.

Joe Flacco might be in the bottom five quarterbacks in the league. That is the only reason why going to Baltimore for an AFFCG road game does not scare me. Don't care about our past dealings with Pittsburgh; you really think Big Ben won't show up for that game?

Patriots fans have whined during every season about our weaknesses. For many here, the glass is always 1/4 full or less. Every team in the nfl is flawed. We often criticize the media. After all, they think that Belichick has done exceedingly well this year and that we have a fine team, leading the AFC. They believe that we should be proud of being one of the best 3 teams in the AFC and one of the best 6 in the nfl. No one know who will be playing the best when we start the playoff, and who will win.

This very flawed team wins the division almost every year. We always have a winning team. I understand that for many, all that matters is whether we win the Super Bowl. And that joy last about one minute. They then start whining about weakness in the next year's team.

Lousy teams are about getting to .500

Mediocre teams are about getting to the playoffs

Good/great teams are about winning the championship

If you think the Patriots have been just mediocre since 2005, that would certainly explain your current attitude, but your current attitude is remarkably different from the attitude you held firmly to your heart as recently as just a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
no indication this team is as good as the 9-3 Steelers and Ravens

I think the Ravens are lucky to be at 9-3! They are inconsistent on offence!

Teams the Pats lost to combined record: 20-16

Teams the Ravens lost to combined record: 15-20

When the Ravens have a bad game, they suck! Badly! When the Patriots suck, Brady can keep them in it!

I think this team needs a game on the road in the playoffs......the home thing has proven to be no great shakes the last few years....

when your fans are booing you in a 3 to 3 game in the first QT home field means noting

The Pats can beat both the Steelers and Ravens.

Pitt had a great gameplan a few weeks ago. Hats off to them for that, but does anyone think that its going to work twice in row? I dont. Its on film and once that happens that bell has been rung. Theres no doubt in my mind that BB has an answer for both sides of the ball if Pitt uses the same plan again.

The Ravens have a Sanchez clone in Flacco. He struggles to complete 55% of his passes. The Pats run defense is solid and I dont fear Ray Rice at all. No Sir.

The Pats can beat both the Steelers and Ravens.

Pitt had a great gameplan a few weeks ago. Hats off to them for that, but does anyone think that its going to work twice in row? I dont. Its on film and once that happens that bell has been rung. Theres no doubt in my mind that BB has an answer for both sides of the ball if Pitt uses the same plan again.

The Ravens have a Sanchez clone in Flacco. He struggles to complete 55% of his passes. The Pats run defense is solid and I dont fear Ray Rice at all. No Sir.

Flacco's a career 60% passer.

Another glass not quite half-full opinion on the original topic:

Pats Propaganda, Patriots domination of Colts still feels like a loss
Never before has a Patriots dominant victory felt more like a loss than Sunday’s debacle against the Dan Orlovsky-led Colts. Usually it’s more due to injuries than actual performance that you might still be feeling gross after a Pats win, but this time it was all about what happened (or didn’t happen) on the field.

The offense was unstoppable for just long enough, and not a moment longer. The defense made just enough key stops and take-aways. Then it was as if the precise moment the game was in hand the Patriots left the building.

Some of it can be chalked up the potpourri of players on defense, but not much of it. I was glad to hear that the mood in the locker room felt like they lost. Perhaps it’s just what they needed.

Last edited:
what's missing is the Pats putting together a full 60 minute game
Depends on yuour definition. When you are ahead 4 TDs and play a style that makes the other team take more time that what is left to get those 4, that isn't really not playing 60 minutes, its playing 15 of them based on the situation.

Depends on yuour definition. When you are ahead 4 TDs and play a style that makes the other team take more time that what is left to get those 4, that isn't really not playing 60 minutes, its playing 15 of them based on the situation.
Thats not to say they played well in those 15 minutes, but you must recognize they played it with one arm tied behind their back.

Yes, his percentage is sub par this year. That doesn't mean he struggles to hit 55%. That means that he's generally a 60%+ passer who's having an off season to date

Big difference.

Jason Taylor's sack numbers are down this year. But that doesn't mean he struggles getting to the passer. That means that he's generally a 10+ sack guy who's having an off season to date, right?

The consensus in Baltimore is that Flacco has regressed compared to previous season. If he's a 56% passer THIS YEAR, that means he's a 56% passer THIS year and you can expect to see that 56% passer to show up in a game.

How'd the "we own the Steelers" thing work out earlier this season?

I think the Patriots have the offense (read: Brady) to beat any team in the NFL under the right circumstances, but the Steelers and Ravens are both better teams than the Patriots once you take the QB out of the mix, imo.

"So Mrs Lincoln, outside of that, how was the play?"

Think about it, this is what it's degenrating into.

Jason Taylor's sack numbers are down this year. But that doesn't mean he struggles getting to the passer. That means that he's generally a 10+ sack guy who's having an off season to date, right?

You're now trying to equate a 37 year old pass rusher with a 26 year old QB in terms of down years?

Seriously?

The consensus in Baltimore is that Flacco has regressed compared to previous season. If he's a 56% passer THIS YEAR, that means he's a 56% passer THIS year and you can expect to see that 56% passer to show up in a game.

It also means that it's quite possible that he'll be better than 56% in any given game. After all, he's had 3 games where he's been under 50%, including a game where he threw for just 32.3%, and games like that clearly skew numbers downward. Half of his games have seen him complete better than 58% of his passes (Not great, but not struggling to get to 56%), and he's been at 55% or better in 9 of his 13 games.

He's had a down year, but it's not as if he can't complete a pass. That's why his career percentage matters. We know he's capable of hitting at 60% plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes