Welcome to PatsFans.com

9/11 Remembered - politicize if you must

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Sep 10, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

PatsFanInPhilly posted again his remembrance and reflections on 9/11 in another thread, and I was moved to start this one, as a lightning rod for specific political statements.

I think for Americans, our whole world changed with 9/11. Our politics, our fabric as a nation, everything. I won't go into all the "hows," but there's a hallowed part of it that we shouldn't screw up with political specifics.

I started this thread so that anybody who wants to can dive into the political implications, sequelae, etc., of our responses from 2001-2012.

Let's keep the other remembrance thread "pure" and use this one for the fights.

PFnV

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

PFnV with all due respect I'm not joining this one ...

That entire day had way to many unanswered questions ... I'll leave it at that.

May they all rest in peace.

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +429 / 8 / -4

I think you just did. :)

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I did it in a nice way ... I respect PFnV so i did not want to think I was blowing off his thread. ;)

5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

:D with all due respect, Icy, if nobody joins this thread it won't break my heart -- just so long as we don't make the other thread this thread.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

An interesting Op Ed in the NYT... as much as I do not want to poliiticize that day, the answers were just too easy and with the knowledge that we spent more money and time on Clinton's sexual indiscretion than on what happened that day, I have always been a skeptic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opinion/the-bush-white-house-was-deaf-to-9-11-warnings.html?_r=1

7. 1960Pats

1960Pats 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +418 / 33 / -33

#75 Jersey

I couldn't agree more about keeping the two threads separate, but talking less about the politics involved is more harmful than helpful. The sad truth is that politics definitely played a part in that attack.

To me, the single biggest influence was the anti-gun crowd that successfully pressured the airlines to disarm our commercial pilots. Without those scare tactics 9/11 never happens. Of course, we'll never hear the mediots talk about that. It doesn't fit their liberal agenda.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

What was the specific legislation that prohibited pilots from carrying guns in the ****pit??

9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,485 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The thing is that the Bojinka Plot and the airliner that crashed under suspicious circumstances in Egypt put this kind of attack on the radar. Ramzi Youssef gave a lot of credence to the idea that the WTC would remain a target.

Then again, we've talked about how there are not enough analysts to review the intelligence we have. However, without getting into specifics, the number of analysts we have now is in the thousands of percent higher than what we had on 9/10. There were less than half a dozen dedicated to reviewing threats from the Al Qaeda tree, and they were operating outside the beltway.

10. 1960Pats

1960Pats 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +418 / 33 / -33

#75 Jersey

Event!?!?! My God. Call it what it was, a cowardly attack on innocent civilians by Muslim terrorists.

The true folly is the rationale and scare tactics that were used to disarm our commercial pilots. The results of that backwards thinking is what led to the death of thousands of Americans on 9/11.

Do me a favor and show me an example of a commercial jet being taken down by someone stealing a gun away from a pilot and firing shots in the cabin. Good luck.

Also, if it is such a threat why are our military pilots required to have a firearm? The answer is pretty obvious. If they didn't have a firearm the plane could be taken over with something as simple as, say, a box-cutter.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

No need for hysteria, "event" is a relatively benign word that means a lot of different things in different context.. it usually means anything that takes place or happens, especially something important..

I deleted the post, in your rabid haste to retort you apparently missed it..

The question posed is what is the specific legislation you refer to about pilots not being allowed to carry guns in the ****pit???

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 22 / -19

I suppose guns represent a last line of defense against terrorism, though as we have seen since 2001, we have good airline security in place and to my knowledge no attacks have been prevented by armed commercial pilots. 9/11 might have been prevented by armed pilots or the terrorists might have engaged a different strategy. Duh! At any rate, the best way to keep our skies safe is through good intelligence and security procedures.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

If there was ever a country that these Vermin Terrorists would like to pull off a mass slaughter similar to the 9/11 attack it is Israel, why hasn't it been done?

My thoughts are, Israel throws all of that Politically Correct Civil Liberty Sh1t out the window when it comes to protecting their country and it's people.

If the Bush Government had "profiled" "armed commercial pilots" "used armed marshalls" the Slobbering Politically Correct Do-Gooder Bleeding Heart FOOLS would have wanted to Impeach Him.

14. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Why don't you like civil liberties?

If you gave me the option of living in a country where a terrorist attack could happen, but by and large you are free to think, feel, speak and do whatever it is in your pursuit of happiness or a country where you kinda get some of those things, but the state watches you in an attempt to keep terrorist attacks from happening.....well that choice is easy.

Now, OT, I will admit that I find our levels of PC to be absurd sometimes. Common sense and our sense of humor have gone out the window in many cases.

But I love civil liberties.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

For those who selectively and routinely refer to the Founders and their intent, it's hard to ignore this guy:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin, 1759

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I always thought the single biggest influence (sic) was the philosophy of a nutjob from Saudi Arabia and his mostly-Saudi goons who actually drove the planes into the buildings.

Yeah...that's it. That's pretty much the single biggest influence.

But if you really want to blame America for 9-11, take it out on the flight schools who taught these killers how to use their weapons.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  17. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

It's a great quote Wista. Mr. Franklin nailed it on that one.

18. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

way too simplistic.........if you really want to blame someone, blame charlie wilson.......or the soviets

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  19. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

9/11 anniversary: Series of 2001 briefings warned of attack by Bin Laden | Mail Online

Revealed: How George W. Bush was given repeated direct warnings about threat from Bin Laden in months before 9/11

Former President George Bush was given a series of direct warnings throughout 2001 about the possibility of a terrorist attack by Al Qaeda - but failed to take them seriously, it was revealed today.

But the president continually failed to take any significant action and questioned the thoroughness of the briefings - leading to huge frustrations within the CIA.

These repeated warnings came before the famous top secret briefing - which has previously been reported - given to Bush on August 6 with the heading 'Bin Laden Determined to Strike in the U.S'.
    Details of the other briefings given to Mr Bush and his administration - which have never been made public - have now been revealed by The New York Times.

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Now you're going deep. I like that. Very true. The enemy of my enemy...