Welcome to PatsFans.com

9/11 Attack Replay on MSNBC

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Real-time replay of 9/11 broadcast on MSNBC right now. Very disturbing images and accounts as they happened.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

10:00...first tower falls. I have goosebumps watching this.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 7 / -13

At work, did they filter the images of people leaping from the towers?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

Disgusting, dirty stinking savage bastards.
  5. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

turning to MSNBC right now!

i wish they did this for pearl harbor...
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Goosebumps is an understatement. I was in college when it happened, and I remember driving to school rivted to the radio - though I don't have much use for Howard Stern, he covered it well that day. Everyone was walking around in a daze, and the only thing I remember about my classes (they cancelled them after the full scope of everything was known) was wondering what was happening there.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Interesting how whatever you were doing on that day sticks in your memory, isn't it?

I was sitting in the O'Hare airport waiting to see a friend off to Australia. All of a sudden there was an overhead announcement requesting "the orderly evacuation of the area." At first we thought it was just the waiting area we were in but soon realized it was the entire area. They were ordering everyone to not only leave the airport itself but to "get into your vehicles and leave the area immediately." Surprisingly, there was virtually no panic or pandamonium. Everyone was just concerned about getting the hell out. We thought there was a plane about to accidently crash land or something. It wasn't until we were in the Jeep and out of the immediate area that we turned on the car radio and heard the news. Even though we were in Chicago, both of us immediately and instinctively began calling our family members. My oldest son, who works for the City of Chicago was already on high alert and ready for whatever might happen. There was thought that it could be something which might also be planned for other large cities. By this time my radio was frantically demanding that I gather my squad together and report to the fire station and both my friend's pager and mine were buzzing to beat the band.

Half-way home we heard that The Pentagon had also been attacked. I immediately tried to call Mr.P (although I was not, at this point, Mrs.P) because he worked very close to there. There was no cell service available and remained unavailable for over 12 hours. I did not find out he was safe until late that evening.

When we got back into town we stopped at each of our houses to hug our children and make sure they stayed put in one place until we could return from the fire station and then proceeded to report to our fire chief. We stayed on stand-by for several days and most of us volunteered to join the fire fighters in NY as soon as they gave word that additional personnel might be needed.

My kids went and donated blood and my youngest haunted recruiting stations for weeks afterwards trying to get them to overlook a pre-existing health condition.

We stayed glued to the television at the station for days - even after we had been released from active stand-by duty. No one wanted to eat, play pool, watch movies or do any of the other things that we would normally do with a full crew. No one wanted to go home, either, other than quick trips to check on our families or to take care of immediate things which demanded our attention. All I really remember was the feeling of helplessness which none of us were accustomed to having. Fire department people are generally people of action - they want to DO something, anything. Most of us just wanted to charter a plane and fly to New York and help. The fact that we were unable to do so was something we were having trouble dealing with.

It probably sounds sentimental and stupid to people - but there is a feeling of brotherhood on a fire or police department which I do not think is duplicated anywhere else. If a firefighter dies in a fire within a 200 mile radius, we will send an engine and a crew and participate in the funeral. Not on company time, either, on our own. There is always the knowledge that next time it could be you or your partner. Our coworkers are not just our coworkers, they are our family - closer than our family in many cases because there's no one else who's seen the things you've seen or done the things you've done. Plus, there's the knowledge that someday he or she may just save your life - or the even graver knowledge that he or she already has. The feeling extends outside of your own department. Most of us mutual aid several surrounding towns or cities - I would trust the Chicago firefighter I never met just as blindly as I trust the guy who's been my partner for 10 years - and they, us. To have that many firefighters die on a single day in a single event was mind-shattering. I don't think any of us ever really got our heads around it.

Anyhow, that's my story.

MrP has some good up close and personal observations due to his proximity to The Pentagon. Perhaps I can talk him into posting some of them.

It would be good to hear others, too. Especially from those who lived in New York or DC or Pa. or who were otherwise actively involved.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

When i saw the title i was thinking the same thing 'where was i when i heard' I was in a rite aid drug store trying to find a BD card for my father, it was a little after 9. As i was standing there i overheard a couple of people talking about a plan hitting a building and a thousand of people dying. I left and went to my parents house nearby, my mother and aunt were watching CNN. I saw the second plane hit, and thought that it would collapse because of where it was hit, (it took the corner of the building out, taking away a lot of support the same if you were cutting down a tree) Then it went down and i turned to my aunt and said "This is the end of the World as we know it" Spent the rest of the day watching tv, went to work that night and we continued watching it. Frankly i thought the casualties were going to be 20K+ dead. I was surprised so many were able to get out.
    For the next 6-8 months when ever i saw two objects close together, like stacks of paper, i would see the towers collapsing, and fell anxiety and dread. That still happens to me, two half gallons of milk next to each other in the fridge, there are two candles on a table in my house, they go together, they are maybe 3"by 8" and when i see them i see the twin towers and remember watching them fall. I won't sepperate then though, they were a gift from my son and his wife. OBL may have f***** my head up forever by if i gave in to this and moved they he will have won. Same thing goes for hate, he wanted/wants to foster hate, i won't hate. I think more of coldly dispatching him and the rest.

I won't watch much of this on tv, since i saw it in real time it takes me back to vividly
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +936 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I was sitting at my desk to tie my shoes and take the kids to school. turned on local channel 10 to catch some news and weather and there it was ... wow.

Hurt my back doing the shoes the worst ever ... I could not move. The kids never made it to school. I sat at the desk for 3 hours with 1 shoe on unable to move. for the next 3 days i watched it all around the clock.

Ended up with a relapse of my major depression days ... when i did not know how to control it. Kind of odd but i was more haunted by the people who dies rushing into the building than the people who dies in the planes or in the buildings already. Still that haunts me to this day how those people ran to their graves.

I hope it never happens again ... but realistically i realize someday it may be worse. mrs. PF is right ... all the pain, all the smells ... every body sensation of that time comes back when watching it.

very eerie ... I hope they are all resting in peace if that's what's next.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I was in my dental office treating the first patient of the day with the radio on in the background.The patient noticed the first news reports and asked us to make it louder and my first thought was that there's an air traffic controller in deep trouble.When the second plane hit, I blurted out "it's terrorism". I didn't remember it but the patient I was treating at the time mentioned it the next time she was in the office.
    When it all hit the fan, WTC to the north of us, Pentagon to the south, Flight 93 to the west, I called my wife and asked if we should get the kids from school. We checked and all the neighbors were keeping them in school but staying close. The kids knew something was wrong when all the dads were there when they got off the bus. They never happened before, or since.
    Our closest friend worked in a building next to the WTC and when the second plane hit, he made a beeline with others for the ferry just to get out of Manhattan . The ferry attempted to collect fares and they pushed the conductor/employee aside and got people on board . He called his wife to let her know that he was safe. He saw the Towers fall but won't talk about it to this day and decided not to go back to work in NYC. His wife called us at 10 am to let us know he was safe. He didn't get home until 9 that night because of all the roads shut down .

My associate called to tell me that he wouldn't work that day as he was trying to get into NY to check on his best friend. The friend had a dental practice on the second floor of the WTC and while he and his staff survived, they had to avoid the bodies of jumpers landing on the pavement as they escaped the Towers.

By 9:30 a.m. we weren't treating patients but rather watching TV and trying to comprehend the reality of the situation. I had gotten an email asking if I was available to go help do dental identification of the victims. I agreed and spent the next 12 hours packing and waiting to see where they would send me. I ended up in Shanksville, PA the very next day, where Flight 93 crashed and spent 8 days with DMORT the federal disaster response team helping to ID those on Flight 93.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

I was gutting out a house I just bought. I was working on the floor, screwing down the wonderboard for the tiles I was going to put down. My brother called me with a "can you believe this" type attitude, and I was like "believe what?". When he told me, I just ran two houses over to my aunts, and I was completely jaw dropped. My mom was watching the news feed when the second plane hit out of nowhere, and she told me she just started crying. Never forget people. Never forget.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 7 / -13

I was getting ready to leave for a 10am meeting turned on the TV for a sec and saw the North Tower burning heard a plane crashed into it, speculation was that it was a private plane, called to my wife, wondered how someone could hit the WTC not hard to see, my company was hosting a seminar at Windows on the World a Restaurant in the 103rd Fl of the S Tower with spectacular 360 views, as my wife came into the room we saw the second plane turn and fly into the South Tower. We knew it was a terror attack, talked to my customer and we cancelled out meeting, watch the Towers collapse, went to the office. We wondered whether any of our people were in the S Tower (the seminar was at lunch time for Wall St IT types). We heard that 2 admins were at the WTC doing set up for the seminar.

They were never heard from again, bodies never recovered.