Welcome to PatsFans.com

9/1 - Afghanistan - Iraq = Excuses To Be Near Central Asia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, May 26, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +805 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Before I post this I'd like to say that we have known since at least the 70's of our need to be energy independant. So, we spend money and waste lives while we could have been hard at work achieving energy independance. Sometimes I believe there are just too many religious fanatics to achieve anything except WWIII...hence this post.

To all new posters here in the last 6 months or so...check out my Central Asia post...I get to try again on this topic.

I also go back to my Central Asia posts...this is why we are still in Iraq and why we will remain in Iraq. I knew when we went into Afghanistan that what we really wanted was to be close to Central Asia. The largest underutilized energy source in the world. Al-Queda could have strangled the entire world with success in that region.

Afghanistan served the Taliban and Al-Queda well as it was needed to lay supply lines of energy to and through Pakistan to the East. Iraq is much closer to the untapped treasures of the Caspian Sea. So Afghanistan to the south and Iraq to the west gives America a great presence in the region.

Not even the most brilliant of Generals could get America involved in keeping a lid on Al-Queda in that region. We would have had to ally ourselves with Russia and China who are allies now.

I posted this before and nobody cared...I posted it at least 3 times. Anyone who takes the time to thouroughly research Central Asia, Al-Queda, Energy and Peak-Oil, Russia/China aliance (newer than the others)...will totally understand all the events that have unfolded since 9/11.

We have new PF posters here...so I will post it again...because an in depth, non-partisan discussion of this topic explains most of what we see now. I don't say it's right or wrong or otherwise. It somehow all seems like fate to me and it's where WWIII will intensify and peak sometime in the near future.

Does Iran really want nukes to destroy Israel? Or, do they want nukes to keep WWIII out of their backyard? Imagine they ALLY with America imploring all Muslims to destroy Russia and China? Or, they could ALLY WITH RUSSIA AND CHINA AND DESTROY AMERICA...a more dangerous scenario for them really. We are a much safer enemy to ALLY with than Russia and China...don't believe for a minute Iran really likes being allied with Russia...no way anyone could possibly believe that is truthfull.

China needs energy...they are driving up most of the world's prices. The Caspian Sea lies to their west. Russia to it's north and now America to it's south. If that doesn't make sense to any world political followers then you've been totally brainwashed by the media into believing all the nit-pick stuff that is reported all the time now.

[​IMG]
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

Interesting political geographic comment, never thought about it this way. Encouraging news is today it is being reported that the US & Iran are considering some type of negotiations, thank god not rattling sabers. I am amazed everytime I look at similar maps and all of the changes in this area, never realized that Armenia is now a separate country..probably should have, but there is so much stuff going on there. The other issue I do not understand is how much oil is under or around the Caspian Sea??

From your thread it seems that the US has used the Taliban and Al Quaeda to further its cause only to have it kick them in the butt later on. It reminds me of a couple of things, first the missing 200,000 AK 47's there were lost on the way from Bosnia to Iraq and secondly, the arming of the warlords in Somalia. Individually they are probably not connected, but stepping back have to believe everything has a purpose and there are connections going on right now that may kick us in the ass in the future.

If the intent of the US is to have a pipeline to the Caspian Sea, in this extremely volatile and unstable political region then I wonder if we can protect it from all the factions?? If this is the case we are in this region with boots on the ground for a very long period of time. All the $$ we are spending here could be used to develop the mass oil/shale deposits in the west and Canada, which are estimated to equal more than all the oil in the mideast...the issue is safe extraction of this energy source. There could also be a push to develop alternatives to our dependence on fossil fuel.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

FBN,
    You're absolutely correct about the futility of discussing the geopolitics of Central Asia. I have tried to steer many threads towards the big picture, but it never gets anywhere. I think the thought of WWIII is too much to handle for a lot of people, myself included. But thanks for bringing it up so clearly.

Central Asia is the most important place on the planet only because renewable energy programs have been stifled by the controlling interest of big oil corporations. My major in college years ago was Geology with a geography minor, so the second troops landed in Afghanistan, I drew the line right through there, through Turkmenistan, to The Caspian oil reserves I had been reading about since the conflict in Azerbaijan and Armenia. The buzz in the geophysical community about the reserves in the Caspian region has been going on for decades. The Afghan route is so difficult because of the topography, I couldn’t believe that it could possibly be considered. At the time, I hadn’t considered the possibility if invasion of Iraq.

It looks like the chimp or his keepers have decided to put the squeeze on Iran to exert some control of future decisions regarding the supply from the Caspian. Iran certainly knows they have all the cards, and I expect them to be a very tough negotiator when it comes to the Big Four (I include India). Israel is being used as a straw man. All Iran wants is to be a big player and maintain sovereignty, but if they don’t deal, expect The Asians to assert themselves more strongly. I see a US-India alliance the most natural scenario. China and Russia could go it alone. It could get very ugly
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

FBN,
    Next time you want to get this subject going, maybe you should use words like "Terror", "outrage", "liberal", "conservative", or my favorite "anti-American". That seems to be the key. :(
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

Either that or swear at someone from the opposite side, it is sad that this has been buried amongst many intelligent threads on this board.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

7. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting, I would like to read more of this topic. This is the reason I visit and participate in a political message board, to expand my understanding of war and poltics. (Golf clap) to the start of this thread.....
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

From this article, find this to be very interesting....

Country Oil Reserves
    (billions of barrels)
    Saudi Arabia 261.5
    Iraq 112.5
    United Arab Emirates 97.8
    Kuwait 96.5
    Iran 89.7
    Venezuela 72.6
    Russia 48.6
    Mexico 47.8
    Libya 29.5
    China 24.0
    Nigeria 22.5
    United States 21.0
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Just a quick extrapolation on that list:
    That add to about 920 billion barrels. Average consumption rate of 100 million per day to the year 2025. That's about 730 billion barrels, leaving the major reserves past 2025 at 190 billion barrels. The rate of consumption beyond 2025 is expected to be about 120 million barrels per day (conservatively). That leaves about another 4.25 years of available oil beyond 2025. By 2030, it will likely be gone We’ll be fighting over crumbs and scraps by then.

This does not include the minor sources not listed, but the consumption rates could also be affected by larger than expected consumption rates.

There’s a great analysis of oil consumption, production, and markets here:
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/oil.html
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Imagine the unlikely event that the Azeri's, Armenians and Georgians could put aside their differences to make a load of money with a pipeline to the Black Sea? That would be funny.
  11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +805 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Thanks for the Grography post...it's nice when people who have advanced knowledge step forward. Central Asia is a great topic if Democrats and Republicans are kept out of it. I think it's fine when posters give their viewpoint based on their core beliefs (left to right). But, when parties are brought in it gets messy.
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +805 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Great short article and an excellant primer like you said.
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +805 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Just what the Petty countries, our included deserve.