PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#85 Chad Ochocinco still wants to play for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Chad palying for the Pats but that was when he was still good.

IMO Belichick would have to be totally ******ed to sign an overblown and well overated WR like Chad Johnson

We already dealt away a worthless Prima Donna like Moss who once had supreme skill and now you want another type like him?? :confused:,not to mention Chad is a Twitterholic and media lover and that is against the rules of being a Patriot.

The man is done and never was a factor with Cincinnati when it came to coming up big in games against his division rivals...The Jets D would eat him up alive.

If Belichick signs this clown,I will officially know that he has lost it as an evaluator of talent in the FA pool.

Chad would be better off as a standup comedian on Comedy Central or on Dancing with The Stars than he would be as a starting WR in NE.

He also wants Rex to "call him"

He's just getting desperate.

Randy Moss says hello.

Ummm, no.

Moss is a 1st ballot HOF shoe-in, and the Pats had a junior college level set of wideouts at the time. He instantly forced defenses to plan around his deep-threat ability. He had work ethic questions when playing on a bad team. He was available on the cheap. Taking a chance made sense in that situation.

OC has been a shameless self-promoter from day 1, even when the Bungles were a contender. He's not a top tier receiver any longer, and hasn't been for several years. He's an expensive POSSESSION receiver, and you want to add him to a lineup with a bunch of guys who already do that better, cost less, and rarely step out of line in the press.

I don't think the 2 situations are nearly as similar as you're making them out to be.

I'd rather the Pats take a look at a guy like Leonard Hankerson out of Miami later on in the draft. I like Chad. As a matter of fact, I think he's hilarious. And while I do think that he would tone down his act to play with Belichick, his skills are clearly on the decline. I'd rather go young at the position, myself. I think guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones (who I love) will be gone and there are too many other pressing needs on the defense and the O-Line to go WR that early in the draft. Hankerson is a tall, athletic burner whose stock in the draft has been hurt due to the fact that he's had to put up with the likes of Jacory Harris as his quarterback. Hankerson is a good route runner, has soft hands, and is a tall presence who can outrun the opposing CB (4.39 speed) and can also challenge for jump balls. With Brady throwing him the rock, he should be dangerous in the Pats offense.

With our slew of picks in the first and second rounds, I'd like the Pats to address DE, OLB, and RG first.

Last edited:
Even if he plays here, the number 85 is already taken by Hernandez, then he will need to change his name again to another number in Spanish.

Personally, I would say no thanks to Chad Johnson or Steve Smith (Carolina). No more aging veterans who are past their prime, please.

I would rather take a chance on young draftees like Titus Young, Randall Cobb or Jacquizz Rodgers (RB) as potential threats as receivers you can develop.

If you want to sign a free agent wide receiver, attempt to sign James Jones if he doesn't re-sign with Green Bay and his asking price isn't unreasonable.

Even if he plays here, the number 85 is already taken by Hernandez, then he will need to change his name again to another number in Spanish.

Last I heard, he was switching back to Johnson

Ummm, no.

Moss is a 1st ballot HOF shoe-in, and the Pats had a junior college level set of wideouts at the time. He instantly forced defenses to plan around his deep-threat ability. He had work ethic questions when playing on a bad team. He was available on the cheap. Taking a chance made sense in that situation.

OC has been a shameless self-promoter from day 1, even when the Bungles were a contender. He's not a top tier receiver any longer, and hasn't been for several years. He's an expensive POSSESSION receiver, and you want to add him to a lineup with a bunch of guys who already do that better, cost less, and rarely step out of line in the press.

I don't think the 2 situations are nearly as similar as you're making them out to be.

Ummmmm......maybe you really dont see how close the two are to one another. Are you trying to say teams didnt have to plan around Ocho? His work ethic has never been questioned. He is an absolute workaholic and is a weight and film room junkie.

Dont confuse his playful banter with ****iness. Ocho has never had problems with the law like Moss did. Ocho's only problems were with league fines for celebrations. Celebrations because teams "didnt plan for him" i guess.

Last I heard, he was switching back to Johnson

This is true. If he plays for another team he will switch back to Johnson if staying in Cinci then he will keep Ocho

Ocho's only problems were with league fines for celebrations.

He's had a lot more problems than just league fines for celebrations. For starters, he attacked his position coach at half time of a playoff game.

In his defense, while the Bengals were winning at the half and the offense had been extremely productive to that point, Chad hadn't caught enough balls or gotten to do the dance he had practiced in front of the mirror all week so who could blame him?

He's had a lot more problems than just league fines for celebrations. For starters, he attacked his position coach at half time of a playoff game.

In his defense, while the Bengals were winning at the half and the offense had been extremely productive to that point, Chad hadn't caught enough balls or gotten to do the dance he had practiced in front of the mirror all week so who could blame him?

That was over exaggerated and the coach admitted they had an altercation but no assault.

Look im not saying we should do anything possible to get this guy. But i am in the belief that he would be a major contributor here. Johnson knows how Belichick runs his house and Chad has stated many MANY times that he'd love to be a part of that.

As for the possibility of Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco ending up with the Patriots, King said: “As a matter of fact, Chad tweeted me recently, a week or so ago, and says, ‘OK, where am I going to end up?’ And I said, ‘New England.’ ”

“Look, I don’t know where he’s going to end up. But all I know is this: The Bengals are tired of his act. Bill Belichick likes him. He’s charmed by him.”

King said Ochocinco is not the malcontent many people think he is. “Chad is a very hard worker,” King said. “He’s a good example — I’m talking physically to other players; I don’t think he’s the best example in the locker room and necessarily off the field, wanting to be involved in 100 things that aren’t football-related. But I do think that especially on a club-friendly contract, which I believe that Ocho would definitely be willing to do, why wouldn’t it be a possibility?

“The Patriots need receivers. He’d walk to New England. Are you kidding me? He’d kiss Bill Belichick’s shoes if Belichick called him if he was free and asked him to come play in New England.”

Ocho to pats still an option

Peter King, that should just about put a nail in the coffin of Mr. Chad's New England Adventure dreams.

Twitter pals. Maybe they can share a double decaf venti Lah-Dee-Dah Latte when he's finally a Pat.

noooo1.gif

Michael Scott says it best.

A couple of years ago I would have said most definitely. Now I'm not interested in seeing Chad on the Patriots.

A couple of years ago I would have said most definitely. Now I'm not interested in seeing Chad on the Patriots.

A couple of years ago we had hard-ons for Randy Moss and some even drooled over the possibility of Derrick Mason.

Now I wouldn't let Moss,Johnson,Mason or Owens carry the teams bags to the airport,let alone join this team as a player now :bricks:

With that being said,rumors of Panthers Steve Smith coming to NE after the CBA is new is rising again amongst the media..

Last edited:
A couple of years ago we had hard-ons for Randy Moss and some even drooled over the possibility of Derrick Mason.

Now I wouldn't let Moss,Johnson,Mason or Owens carry the teams bags to the airport,let alone join this team as a player now :bricks:

With that being said,rumors of Panthers Steve Smith coming to NE after the CBA is new is rising again amongst the media..

I wouldn't mind Smith tbh...out of top wide receivers in the past decade this is a guy that has probably had the ****tiest QB's to work with and has put up big numbers. If BB feels Ocho could be an asset for us then i'm for it. He might be a clown but you can't deny his desire to win and his work ethic. BB could keep him quiet easily and with Tom Brady throwing the ball he could still be pretty effective. I'll trust Bill to make the right decision regarding our WR's.

Well the way I see it is the Patriots have a huge hole for a burner or a vertical receiver (Sidney Rice). Personally, I'd prefer the burner type of receiver ala Mike Wallace to open up the field for Gronkandez & Welker.

I'm not sure there's any out there at the moment other than in the draft. I'm certainly not sold on Ohcho or Smith to play those roles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back