Welcome to PatsFans.com

84% Americans to Obama: We are happy with our current health insurance<---- HOT TOPIC

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Aug 5, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

washingtonpost.com

I'd like to know what is the percentage of these folks who actually voted for Obama?

:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

2. resnor

resnor Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: 84% Americans to Obama: We are happy with our current health insurance<---- HOT T

Top it off with the fact that 43 million uninsured is right around 20% of our population (and includes illegals, people who don't want insurance, and others). That means that 80% of our population DOES HAVE COVERAGE. But lets turn it all upside down for the minority.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Re: 84% Americans to Obama: We are happy with our current health insurance<---- HOT T

Obama doesn't care because he knows what is the best for you. He uses ObamaCARE as an excuse to TAX you.:singing::singing::singing::singing:

Please try to explain it to Obama supporters.:singing::singing:

4. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm just sick of people throwing around that 43 million figure, in an effort to scare people. 43 million sounds so big...I wonder why they don't say that 20% of our population doesn't have insurance...

5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Because it ignores the fact that 1) many of those insured are under-insured, and 2) far more importantly you still are covered when you're out of work.

The system is fundamentally broken from the perspective of delivering quality and affordable health care to the largest number of Americans possible. So you rebuild it. Simple, and the fear mongers are either blindly opposed to any of the president's initiatives or easily influenced by the insurance industry's hysteria. Or both.

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If you're as good at math as a third grader then you know they're more or less the same thing.

7. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's your average American that doesn't get it, Strudel. I get it just fine. Which is why I pointed it out. It's a scare tactic, plain and simple.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Agreed, but also it's nowhere close to 43M when you eliminate illegals, those who choose not to buy insurance, those who are covered through programs for the poor and those who only are uninsured temporarily. Those who are legal, want to buy insurance and are uninsured for an extended time is much lower than this.

Either way, we should be filling the holes not knocking the house down.

9. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Also, what exactly is "underinsured?" I think that you should have insurance for catastrophic illness/injury. However, you can't get that. And our current insurane options are a reason for the skyhigh costs.

10. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

If you are one of the 23 million your obviously not that good at getting a J-O-B! Because somehow the rest of us found a giant loophole in the healthcare system, work. Prioritizing one's life and work!!!!!!!!

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You're saying the average American can't divide? I'm as pessimistic as anybody about the intelligence of Americans but I think that's stretching it. 50 million is 50 million no matter how you slice it. It sounds like you're just trying to find a phrasing that helps minimize the impact of the number just because you're opposed to the reform.

12. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No. I'm saying that the average American hears this number, and is astounded at this HUGE number of uninsured. They don't bother to do the math, they just hear this big number, and think, "YEAH, we NEED to do something about this!" That's also why media will report the 43 million number, and never once mention that 80% of the population has insurance...and they won't mention that the 43 million included illegals, those that don't want insurance, etc.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It is a huge number. No matter how you slice it.

Is it because they are stupid, because they agree, or something else?

Again, you're ignoring those who are under-insured. And of those who do not have insurance, many who may not "want" ignores that they might want it if they could afford it.

How Many Are Underinsured? Trends Among U.S. Adults, 2003 and 2007 - The Commonwealth Fund

14. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, it's not a huge number, when it's looked at as it should be looked at: as a percentage of the total population.

I am not saying that they are stupid, they agree, or anything else. I'm merely saying that most don't look any further at the number. They hear the number, and that's the end of it for them.

There are many in the 18-30-ish age who simply DON'T WANT IT. They don't WANT to pay for it. Many CAN pay for it, they simply CHOOSE NOT to pay for it.

15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

The American Spectator : The Myth of the 46 Million

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

How many of you know anybody that has been refused health care.

Todays American Health Care:
    A wino can be picked up off the street after having a heart attack and he will get the same operation that they would give to Nancy "Tooth Sucker" Pelosi and he won't have to wait in line for it like he would if he lived in Canada.

OBAMA IS ACTING STUPIDLY

Politician Bastards;
    Read the bill you filthy vermin.

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Um, wow. It is also a huge percentage when you compare the US to other Western nations. It is only in comparison to 2nd and 3rd world nations does the number look acceptable.

Massive assumption. Most people I know are fairly inquisitive.

I think you mean can't afford it. Everybody I know in that age range wants affordable health coverage. You'd have to be kind of an idiot to not want it.

18. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Also, the link to the uninsured thing...

Talks about people not going when sick. Sick with what? The flu? Sore throat? I have health insurance through my state job, and I don't run to the doctor everytime I'm "sick." If I had a sore throat for a week, I might go. If I was puking for a week, I would go. People want to run to the doctor when they have a runny nose. So, again, is the insurance actually necessary in the cases of them not going when "sick?" I think in most cases, it probably wasn't. If it was necessary, they would have gone, and they would have gotten treatment, regardless of having insurance or not.

19. resnor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Compare how many people in the U.S. get actual, speedy treatment to the other Western nations. I think you'll see a huge difference, in favor of the U.S. system.

Also, the 43 million is not even remotely that large. As another poster said, it's around 8 million...which is not even 5% of the population.

No, I don't mean CAN'T AFFORD it. I mean, CHOOSE NOT TO PAY FOR IT. I personally know many in the 18-30ish age who COULD AFFORD insurance, but CHOOSE NOT TO buy it, so that they can spend their money on other things.

20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

lol @ American Spectator. It's a ridiculous number because the whole point is to cover people even in the gaps between jobs and insurance plans. 47 million is data from the Census Bureau, and is probably the best data available. There is acknowledgment that the number of insured is underreported, but it is unknown by how much. Here is the methodology.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p60-235.pdf