Welcome to PatsFans.com

81-Year Old Man Kills Home Invader (Must be Paranoid to own a gun)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by 2000army, Oct 13, 2009.

1. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

81-Year Old Man Kills Home Invader : NorthEscambia.com

An 81-year old Escambia County (Ala.) homeowner shot and killed an apparent home invasion suspect early Monday morning.
    The Escambia County (Ala.) Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call on Highway 31 north of Brewton about 3 a.m. Monday. The caller told dispatchers that someone had broken into his house and that he had shot the suspect.

When they arrived, they found suspect Jeremy Paul McCall, 33 of Brewton, dead inside the home. He was dressed in dark clothing and a ski mask. McCall had been released from a Nebraska jail only about 48 hours at the time of his death. He died as the result of a single gunshot wound.
    The elderly man’s wife was reportedly sitting with a shotgun in her lap when deputies arrived.

“Deputies were in the immediate vicinity of the residence and responded. Once on scene, they found a subject lying on the floor, unresponsive, inside the residence with a gunshot wound to his person,” the sheriff’s department said in a press release. “The owner of the residence and his wife stated that they were awakened by noises of someone forcing their way into the home. As they began to get up, a subject burst into their bedroom and pointed a gun at them. The owner of the residence was also armed with a handgun and fired one round at the subject. ”
    Sheriff Grover Smith and his department’s investigators, and a K-9 unit from Fountain Prison responded to the scene. McCall’s body was transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences in Mobile for an autopsy.
    Smith said the incident will be presented to a grand jury, as is require by law, but he said he does not expect charges to be filed against the homeowner.
    The incident is still under investigation by the Escambia County (Ala.) Sheriff’s Department.

Another poor victim killed. Only if the homeowners complied they would be able to sleep well at night.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

They're Fighting Back

This Dog Will Never Invade Another Home

BUY A GUN AND LOAD IT THE BAD GUYS ALL HAVE ONE
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -6

IMHO, this is more clearcut than your other post, 2000army, given that the guy was inside the house.

These anecdotes, while perhaps entertaining, are really not very meaningful. Of course, there are cases where gun ownership is a benefit, but we also know there are at least 1500 accidental gun deaths a year and I presume there are situations where they good guy is killed because he went for his gun.

Just a few days ago, some older guy shot and killed his fiance because he thought she was an intruder.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

When I was younger in my 70's I shot my lawn mower (i was drunk)
  5. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

so a person is open game to be robbed at gunpoint if not in his or her house? your argument is weak.
  6. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

642 in 2006 ... last year of statistics (CDC's Website)

Injury Mortality Reports
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -6

No, I never said that. I said that it was not an act of heroism to kill a guy who wanted your wallet. It ended tragically, but it could have ended even more tragically.

The latter case is far more complicated: A criminal breaks into someone's private space, they are elderly and vulnerable; the man wants to protect his wife; and they don't know what the criminal wants but recognize they don't have the safety that a public space provides. In my opinion, in that situation, they acted reasonably. That said, a braver person might not have had to kill the guy.
  8. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You say brave ... I say stupid.

You put your family at risk. I won't leave my life or my family's life to chance.

Petit Family Murder Suspect Called Killings "Extreme Sport," Says Book - Crimesider - CBS News
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -6

I doubt that I would be that "braver" person I referred to, but I certainly don't see much risk in aiming a gun at an unarmed intruder and saying, "Stop, or I'll shoot." No wonder their are 1500 accidental gun deaths a year. Shoot first, think later.
  10. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

The old guy shot not have shot the home invader.
    His eyes site may be failing and he could have missed.

He should have done what old people do best.

He should have waited for the Invader to leave and followed him in his
    car. He then should have run him down like a dog as he crossed the
    street.

The police report would have said......
    Just another old coot out for a Sunday drive.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  11. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I like how you double the # ..... please show me the stats that support this.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -6

This is where I found that number:

Plunderbund - Accidental gun deaths, intentional gun deaths, and gun control

but didn't source it because I have no idea what the site is.

I did just now see this number: 824

Gun-related deaths in the USA

But, that doesn't take into account the higher suicide rates among gun owners (perhaps because guns kill more easily):

High Suicide Rates Among Gun Owners Not Due to Depression
  13. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

642 was the number in 06 ....

750 is the estimate between 99 and 06.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -2

I think the elderly couple are the text book definition of brave. The loser, scumbag, corpse of a burglar is the one who's the *****. Go get a job arsewipe. That scumbag wuss got what he deserved. Is it tragic that someone died? Absolutely. It's especially tragic for the people that loved him. He made his bed though, and no one else.