Welcome to PatsFans.com

80 Percent of Americans Think US is on the Wrong Track

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Apr 4, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Given the way they are constantly battered mentally by the media I'm not surprised. I'm as optimistic as any and, yet, I still struggle to wade the the negative crap at times.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Here is the situation :
    we ve been told from 2000 to 2006 , everything is beautiful , we doing great . The subprime problem exploded at summer 2007 , since then , we realized things are not that beautiful as told .There was a mismanagement for years , things were not allright for a while.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Things were alright. The subprime "explosion" was nothing more than irresponsible people (and, yes, stupid lenders) getting what was coming to them. Rule #1 - if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Didn't we learn that in Junior High with our allowances ?

:confused:
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Are all you people in denial? The government just bailed out Bear Sterns. Many think had they not there would have been catastrophic events. Today, the third airline company just went belly-up, I know, mismanagement again. In some cities, every other house for sale is a foreclosure, those damn flip-flopper's. A great % of our high schools, the drop out rate is 50%, some as high as one in four. Gee, they sure don't value their education. After all, No Child Left Behind has given these kids some great education. At least we should have some moral victory comin soon in Iraq.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

OK, bud, show me a CITY where half the houses are in foreclosure. Good God, man. Dropout rate ? Is someone MAKING them drop out ?
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Watching the news the other day, and they were talking about Bernanke and his confidential reports.. apparently the news is even more dire than we know, but of course the MSM is blowing all this out of proportion as the dollar slides and the trade deficit increases... most economists are calling this a recession..
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Regarding the "confidential reports" that's a constant contrarian argument - that the fed/government is doing things for reasons we don't know. It could be true, probably isn't. But you hear that all the time.

On the "recession" most economists are saying is feels like a recession but the numbers just don't support that yet. Maybe the will, as numbers showing a recession are lagging numbers. On the upside the stock market is a leading indicator (because what we understand about the economy is kindergarten to their grad school) and although it's still down it's rallied nicely off the bottom - if that holds then the "recession" will either not happen or be mild and brief.
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't forget where we've heard that number before: 80% of Americans ALSO say the Congress -- Democrat controlled Congress -- is no damn good. The Congress had a 19% approval rating only a couple of months ago. So, of course 80% of Americans are dissatisfied with the direction of America. Aren't we all!!!

:yeahthat:

//
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

What I said was, in some cities half the houses for sale are foreclosures, not a city where half the houses are in foreclosure.
    Half of California's houses sold were foreclosures. I did see an article where half the houses which were listed for sale, were foreclosures (I'm searching), never the less, its a very bad situation and and can't see why people disagree.
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02/13/news/state/13_00_802_12_08.txt

You don't think the drop-out rate has anything to do with No Child Left Behind? That the dropout rate just skyrocketed during the Bush Administration was a coincidence.

More good news today, Job losses escalate, worst drop in five years.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Huh?

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

You're right, you did. There's not much to that point, though, houses were priced too high, in a bubble now they're getting priced appropriately. No big deal there.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sigh. Of course people would sell for what they could get. But the system was in a bubble and that capitalistic system is bringing houses down to what they should have been. Capitalism isn't always pretty.
  15. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Are you kidding me ? Are you kidding me ?

Do me a favor , you need some serious reading !

Link1: how it happened?
    http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?docid=ddp4zq7n_0cdjsr4fn&skipauth=true&pli=1

Page 1 of 4
    PATHOLOGY OF DEBT
    PART 5: Off-balance-sheet debt
    By Henry C K Liu

(PART 1: Banks as vulture investors
    PART 2: Commercial paper and pesky SIVs
    PART 3: The credit guns of August
    PART 4: Lessons unlearned)
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/IL01Dj02.html

Wake up my friend! No big deal , he said : HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to the dollars value ? I know what you did there,Ben !
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Here is the situation. From 1994 to 2000 we were told that everything was great. We're doing beautifull. The dot bubble exploded, the Author Anderson, Tyco, World Com, Enron bubble exploded. Since then, we realized things are not as beautiful as told. There was mismanagement for years, things were not allright for a while.

Here is the situation. From 1984 to 1988 we were told that everything was great. Then the Savings & Loans collapse exploded, the stock market crumbled, and the housing bubble burst. Since then, we realized things are not as beautiful as told. There was mismanagement for years, things were not allright for a while.

Lather, rinse, repeat....
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

We won't know if a recession is/has happened until July when the 2nd quarter economic data is released. I'd expect that the 1st quarter gdp will retract. Things seem to point in that direction. The 2nd quarter will be important. If the June employment figures, construction spending, and gdp are all negative, and trending negative, then that won't be good. If they're negative, but trending positive, then it'll be bad, but indicitive of a 3rd & 4th quarter rebound. I expect GDP to be negative though, for the 1st quarter. The employment data wasn't good, which is what I always like to look at.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

If people are working, which at 5.1% unemployment, they are (for now), then the housing bubble isn't as big a negative as people would like to believe. The bubble affects existing owners, like me, in no way. Infact, it acts as a positive as the lower rates put forth because of the bubble, allow me to refi and save money. The bubble is a correction of an overpriced market. My sister, after 2-3 years of searching, just reached an agreement on a 2 bedroom home. She saved six figures, and bought in a town that she never could have afforded 3-4 years ago. Low rates, shattered prices, and her patience, litterally paid off. Now, my friends who got married in the last 2-3 years and bought homes? I told you all so.

If anything NCLB Act forces teachers to teach all the students. Sadly, we're learning that in a government owned, union run monoply, that's not possible. It's too bad that private schools, the mom & pop store of the education system, were run out of town by the US Education-Mart & Indoctrination Depot. We need vouchers ASAP.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

All this talk about the economy makes my head hurt. I have no idea what you whipper-snappers are talking about! I need a blow-job and a nap. Call me when we find WMD's in Iraq....

Sincerely,
    John McCain
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

You may have just come to the conclusion, but I think most of us always realized that economies by their very nature are volatile. You can go back as far as you want and find evidence of that. Even in campaigns of the 1800s, there were accusations of economic mismanagement by the government.

But, that said, most people do not regret the boom years because, even with the losses that followed, they did quite well. The problem is that there are lessons learned that Bush did not apply. Had he been more concerned with the deficit and the dollar, had he worked harder to foster trade new trade relations, had he been honest with Americans, we might still have some economic difficulty, but we would probably be in a better position to cushion it.