PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8 players who might surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten years ago, maybe. Less than a year these days.

Ronnie Brown tore his ACL in late October 2007, had surgery in Nov 2007, and played all 16 games in 2008. Ten months

And that is a power running back.

The reason Tate is on ACTIVE PUP is because there is an excellent chance he will start the season on the 53.

He may not; if I were the Pats I would have him sit for a year, but if they want, I'll bet he's available.

On a side note, where are all these new posters coming from? They all seem to be saying "Absolutely no way this .." or "Absolutely that ..." as though they knew more than everyone else in the football world. Consider that you have OPINIONS not facts, and consider words like 'probably and not likely," and at least leave space for a discussion to take place.

Unless you are a old geezer, or course. Then it is your constitutional right to be cantankerous.

Almost a week into TC and still no Tate, me thinks my asertation he does not make a significant impact this season is right.

And fine people can jump on me saying I dont know for certain in life...well yeah the only thing certain in life is death...yes rather morbid but that is the ONLY certainty in life. So anyone saying anything really is a matter of opinion for the most part if we really want to get philosophical about things.

Yet everyone jumped on me saying he can comeback in this time span and that. I had Jerry rice thrown out as an example who btw broke his knee cap first game back....and Ronnie Brown who had his lowest carries aside from his rookie year his year back. Yet everyone dismissed the fact I NEVER said he would NOT comeback....I said he would not make a Significant impact this year.

So whats worse me using an absolute, which can not be proven till the season plays out or everyone missing the true statement of what I said about him making a significant impact only to jump all over me saying he can come back in x time frame from an ACL and just piling on for the sake of piling on?

TO had a rod and screws placed into his leg to create stability, Schilling had a tendon sutured in placed for stability. All high risk moves for one game. There is no way to brace an ACL thats been torn or not fully healed, its impossible. The ACL was also repaired in mid October which makes it 9 months out which is not nearly enough time for a skill postion player to be able to fully cut on it.

Have you ever had an ACL injury? I have. And I can say with some certainty that you aren't correct. And while you can't directly "brace" the ACL, you can brace the joint so that it won't give improperly and damage the ACL.

And, as I said before, everyone is different. Athletes have been known to come back in under 9 months from ACL injuries. It all depens on the severity of the injury and whether or not there were any complications before, during or after the surgery. Also, Bobby Shaw, a former WR, played for several years in the league without an ACL in either knee.

Oh and dont start with the Brady comparison with his ACl we are talking about a WR vs a pocket QB.

But here's shoe one for you, we can wait for shoe two pretty soon.

Crable, Warren on PUP - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

No one is going to start comparing Brady's recovery to Tate's because we all know that they are playing different positions. However, their injuries are very similar in that they were both tears to the ACL and MCL. The difference is that Brady did his a month before Tate, but Tate didn't have the complications that Brady did from the infection. They would have both gone through similar re-habs as well.

If you go back and look at some of my posts on Brady's injury back in Januray, you'll find I know a lot when it comes to ACLs and rehabbing from them... You'll also find that I wasn't one of the ninnies who was running around like a chicken its head cut off when the supposed news reports were coming out about Brady having more set backs.

Almost a week into TC and still no Tate, me thinks my asertation he does not make a significant impact this season is right.

Again, the only way you can claim that your assertion is "right" is if you are clairvoyant and can see the future.

And fine people can jump on me saying I dont know for certain in life...well yeah the only thing certain in life is death...yes rather morbid but that is the ONLY certainty in life. So anyone saying anything really is a matter of opinion for the most part if we really want to get philosophical about things.

Actually, death isn't the only certainty in life. Taxes are another.

And no, the information I gave you wasn't opinion.

Yet everyone jumped on me saying he can comeback in this time span and that. I had Jerry rice thrown out as an example who btw broke his knee cap first game back....and Ronnie Brown who had his lowest carries aside from his rookie year his year back. Yet everyone dismissed the fact I NEVER said he would NOT comeback....I said he would not make a Significant impact this year.

A few things. Jerry Rice blew his kneecap out after his 1st surgery. Not his 2nd ACL. As for Ronnie Brown. When he returned in 2008 from his ACL surgery, he was splitting carries with Rickey Williams. You saying that it was "his lowest carries aside from his rookie year" is laughable since he's only got 4 years (3 full) to draw from.

Now, please show us where people claimed you said that Tate would never come back. In fact you can't. So you clearly have an issue. Either you insist on exaggerating what people said, you're down right lying, or you are ****oo.

People know you claimed that Tate wouldn't have a significant impact this year. And that is what people are taking issue with. That you seem to have this certainty about something you can't be certain about.

So whats worse me using an absolute, which can not be proven till the season plays out or everyone missing the true statement of what I said about him making a significant impact only to jump all over me saying he can come back in x time frame from an ACL and just piling on for the sake of piling on?

No one missed the statement you said about him not making a significant impact. And that is what people took issue with. You seem to be reading more into what people said and blowing it out of proportion instead of just taking it at face value.

Last edited:
I don't see the pats rushing tate.........his COD skills depend on that knee being 100% or very close to it............

I would not expect much from him this year

On a side note, where are all these new posters coming from? They all seem to be saying "Absolutely no way this .." or "Absolutely that ..." as though they knew more than everyone else in the football world. Consider that you have OPINIONS not facts, and consider words like 'probably and not likely," and at least leave space for a discussion to take place.

Unless you are a old geezer, or course. Then it is your constitutional right to be cantankerous.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the absolute part, but you make it sound like post count has a direct correlation to football knowledge ...

I'm not disagreeing with you on the absolute part, but you make it sound like post count has a direct correlation to football knowledge ...

No. What he does is make it sound like is that the newer people to the board seem to think they know more in general and are making rookie mistakes in terms of how they are making their statements..

While their post count has nothing to do with anything, what they say and how they say it will have more of a bearing as to how well they enjoy their stay on this board.

ILB LENON (he could even start)

Lenon was a productive player for the Packers and Lions. I'm rooting for him to take over LILB from Tedy.

OLB BANTA-CAIN (he could get more reps than most think)

If TBC gets more PT than Woods, that's not exactly an endorsement of Woods.

ST CIURCIU (it seems that the special team coach brought him in to lead the special team units)

Yep. Anything can happen with STs.

BTW, I don't count on rookie to make major contributions except on special teams. I EXPECT CHUNG to be a major contributer on special teams.

Chung will start. :cool:

Last edited:
I disagree with the list. I don't disagree with all the players (e.g. Tate), but for guys like Tate I just don't think it will be this season where he breaks out.

IMO, the list is:

Ray Ventrone - could be very important with Izzo going going gone.
Seabass - If injuries plague the OL like last season, then the big German could really help out.
Guyton - I expect the usual rotational reps + a few more, but this guy did impress me at times last season and I think he breaks out.
Wheatley - If he works on awareness and other things, I have really high hopes for this guy... I rewatched last seasons games, and though his awareness cost him some big plays, a lot of the time he was lookin like a ballhawk.

Those are my main 4, though I could reserve some space for Chung and Alex Smith...

Blader.

Actually Johnson did surprise me. I figured he wouldn't be cut until one of the cutdown days. He didn't even last that long.

I disagree with the list. I don't disagree with all the players (e.g. Tate), but for guys like Tate I just don't think it will be this season where he breaks out.

IMO, the list is:

Ray Ventrone - could be very important with Izzo going going gone.
Seabass - If injuries plague the OL like last season, then the big German could really help out.
Guyton - I expect the usual rotational reps + a few more, but this guy did impress me at times last season and I think he breaks out.
Wheatley - If he works on awareness and other things, I have really high hopes for this guy... I rewatched last seasons games, and though his awareness cost him some big plays, a lot of the time he was lookin like a ballhawk.

Those are my main 4, though I could reserve some space for Chung and Alex Smith...

Blader.

I'll be surprised if Ventrone is even on the roster. Too much talent this year for the little Try Hard to slip through. (Barring in***ies of course)

I agree with Wheatley & Guyton though. I'm hoping this year they morph into The Future. :)

Al Johnson is released, while the less-than-useful Billy Yates remains.

Does Yates have incriminating photos, too, like Alexander does?

So much for those expecting Tate to defy medical odds and making a huge impact this year. Maybe next time people wont expect the Jerry Rice comeback each and every time. After screwing up his knee yet again hopefully he comes back again ok. This is what happens when you rush players back.

NO way Tate makes much of an impact if anything at all this year. October will mark exactly one year from ACL surgery, ie hes going on the PUP to start the year and may even get IR'd.

It takes players a good 18 to 24 months to fully recover from a torn ACL when they are a skill position player.

fully recovered by month 10

Wow, the only player on this list who even made a modicum of an impact was TBC.

I am high on Lenon, but then again I was high on Victor Hobson last year going into training camp. So I don't know if that is a good thing.

I look at Shawn Springs and I wouldn't be surprised if he had 8-9 INTs or became Deltha O'Neal 2.0. I think if age and injuries haven't caught up to him, he can be a top flight CB. If not, he will be slow and broken down like O'Neal was last year.

I think Tate has an injury that is almost impossible to rebound this quick at the position he plays and will most likely have this year as a redshirt year.

TBC has been here and we know what we are getting. He will be no better than the 2006 version the Pats had. Which wasn't horrible, but not ideal as a starter. But pretty good if he is a back up. That is my concern about the position in general is they got a bunch of solid back ups lining up across from AD, but no clear cut starter.

I don't see Johnson starting unless he moves to guard because Neal is out of commission. I doubt he will replace Koppen.

I think Alex Smith could replace Watson as the starter if Watson has another disapointing start. Lewis should be a good back up and special teamer, but with Welker, Moss, and Galloway on the receiving corp, he won't have a lot of opportunities to be be all that surprising.

Well, I have learned my lesson. No matter who the Pats pick up at ILB this offseason (I hope it is Karlos Dansby, but I will settle for Larry Foote), I am not hyping. It is like the kiss of death. The second I do, the guy has no shot at making the final 53 man roster.

Well, I have learned my lesson. No matter who the Pats pick up at ILB this offseason (I hope it is Karlos Dansby, but I will settle for Larry Foote), I am not hyping. It is like the kiss of death. The second I do, the guy has no shot at making the final 53 man roster.

hey.......putting predictions out there are cool no matter how they turn out.....they all sounded reasonable around the beginning of august, so why not?

I don't even remember the ones I made, but I am sure they turned out wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots