Welcome to PatsFans.com

8 more US troops died to save George Bush's Legacy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here we go again......using military deaths to make a political point. Don't care what side of the alley you are on...this is plain wrong.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

politics? try right vs. wrong... or do you not like to be reminded of specific deaths in this quagmire?...

would you prefer to ignore it like a homeless man in the street? just brush them under the rug, or cast them aside as a "necessary deaths for 'freedom?' "

american's best fighting men die in an unecessary occupation, and people will be reminded about it... sorry...

4. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well seeing that I one of America's best fighting men I do not respect how Mikey brings this up everytime we have a kia. In the last thread he posted about this it got to the point of blaming troops for volunteering to serve Bush....and "shoud be in college" ...etc etc. There are plenty of other political points to harp on ...but Mikey likes to post these each and every time.

5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

IMO you have to admit that sneaking coffins back into the US at night is a pretty disturbing Bush regime policy.

The military casualties should get as much play as Anna Nicole, but alas here we are on the verge of having Iraq news relegated to third page footnotes.

But how does Mikeys post, as a mere newslink devoid of commentary, translate into a political statement. Its mere news...apparently you have trouble with the news?

Seriously, Would it serve the military better to bury the stats altogether?? I mean I know it would serve Bush/Rove and Cheney...but the armed forces??

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Quit making sense will you.

7. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Using military deaths as a political platform for whatever side your on is not honorable in my opinion. Few quotes from one of the last threads that got started on this.....

"A 19-year-old boy should be in college and not getting blown up in Iraq."

"He volunteered to serve this president" ...from you...

"Its always very sad to see a soldier die....especially when theyre forced to join the military"

Quoting Real World here "Instead of respecting the man's sacrafices, and honoring his service, he uses it as a political tool to ridicule in the name of his agenda. Criticize GW all you want, just don't drag this fallen soldier's memory in the mud while doing so."

Personally I hope we get to bring everyone home soon......but seeing how people on this board use this "news" really get me sometimes.

8. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I completely respect that POV. But could you answer the question more directly?

Would it serve the military (i.e.to boost morale) to bury the stats? If so, then how? Because considering the current state of the army and guard, Im all for this debate if it could serve the military to ignore these sacrifices by putting them on the back pages. Is that the gist of it?

9. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Depends on what your are looking at ..... the military is in a war state....these casualty rates are actually very low. Now the moblization of troops, repeated deployments, equip wear and tear, retraining, refitting is what needs to be disucssed.....

not the individual deaths everyday to make your points about the administration.

10. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The administration at this point is irrelevant and Im aware that the rates are what they are: like 8:1 wounded to KIA. But. We are stuck there whether we like it or not, D or R. My question should have been clearer: does ignoring or covering up casualties benefit the armed forces and if so how?? Please, Im not trying to be nuanced about this specific thing.

Yes or no, is really all. And if yes, how??

We should hear more about the nuts and bolts too...I agree BTW

11. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"does ignoring or covering up casualties benefit the armed forces and if so how"

I do not see anyone in the media covering up the casualty count....and of course it should be reported. The use of that information is what I have a problem with as my previous posts point out. There is no attempt to honor the sacrafice by Mkey or others...just using it as their platform to attack. Again there are many other avenues to take when talking about this war......preying on the emotional and wow factor every day/week is weak.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

Army, if someone opposes the war because they believe our troops are dying needlessly, how do think they should go about expressing that? I oppose the war for a number of reasons, and every time a soldier or civilian dies it helps reaffirm my opposition to the war. While I can apply abstract thinking to the subject, the bottom line is, in my view, that troops and civilians are dying in a repeat of western "enlightenment" that has been going on for centuries and doing far more harm than good. Every death reminds me of that.