PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/25: Reiss Predicting Ridley Gets Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
And maybe the reason why is these spot on draft profiles!

Strengths
Ridley is a big back with a deceptive burst. Possesses good vision and hits the hole hard. Downhill runner that has the strength to run over defenders. Secures the ball quickly and flashes an effective stiff arm. Plays mean and is a very capable blocker in pass protection.
Weaknesses
Does not have the speed to consistently break off big runs and lacks the lateral agility to make people miss in the open field. Runs too high at times limiting his power. Lacks experience as a receiver and struggles to turn and run after the catch. Inconsistent technique as a blocker in pass protection.

Negatives: Only moderate speed, overall. Doesn't have the breakaway speed or elusiveness teams are looking for in a feature back. Has only one season of standout play -- entered 2010 with only 57 career carries for 272 yards and four TDs). Appears to have at least marginal hands, but was only used as a dump-off option in this offense and may lack the flexibility to make catches outside of his frame.
You mean the draft profiles on the guy that when we drafted him this board said we spent a 3rd rounder on a guy who will only play on 3rd and 1?
In any event, that doesn't explain everyone else who played the position in the BB era.

Why would they cut a very tradable commodity? (Not that I think they'll trade him either.)

From Reiss' mailbag today:

"I think Ridley is a good running back and has value that belongs on a 53-man roster in the NFL. At the same time, I would share my opinion that the Patriots have good depth at the position and also my sense that perhaps the public perception of Ridley is not necessarily completely aligned with the internal perception in New England. My opinion is that it's not just one thing (e.g. fumbles) that contributes to that; it's the whole mosaic that comes with every player and what teams value in players at the position. Let's see how it turns out; there are always a lot of moving parts at this time of year."

When a reporter refers to INTERNAL PERCEPTION in NE, he obviously has sources that have molded his "opinion". Reiss doesn't just casually offer out "hunches" for public consumption......that has never been Mike's modus operendi .

...Reiss doesn't just casually offer out "hunches" for public consumption......that has never been Mike's modus operendi .

????

Reiss does it all the time, often in his mailbag posts.

????

Reiss does it all the time, often in his mailbag posts.
Sure, he gives opinions.....but I personally have never read a Reiss quote discussing "internal" disillusionment......not until that player was shipped out. Reiss is always very precise with his wording....so I view his prediction as more informed than pure speculation. We'll see. I hope Ridley stays but he may be viewed as unfixable by BB and company.

I forget who it was, but one of the Boston beat writers predicted that because he wasn't getting reps in pre-season, Randy Moss was going to get cut before the 2007 season.

You know, 2007, when he caught a record 23 touchdown passes, and then another one in the Superbowl with 2:44 left on the clock.

Let's hope that Ridley has that kind of season, and whoever is playing safety knocks the ball off the guy's helmet.

If Reiss is basing the cut of Ridley based on the playing time in Carolina, wouldn't that mean that Bolden is a GONER? Since Bolder has had all of 3 touches all pre-season?

If Reiss is basing the cut of Ridley based on the playing time in Carolina, wouldn't that mean that Bolden is a GONER? Since Bolder has had all of 3 touches all pre-season?
To paraphrase Reiss....at least from today's mailbag response
<< Internal disillusionment based on the entire package (his mosaic) >>
Just Reiss' tame way of saying ..."It ain't working" .......

To paraphrase Reiss....at least from today's mailbag response
<< Internal disillusionment based on the entire package (his mosaic) >>
Just Reiss' tame way of saying ..."It ain't working" .......

Well, they have said that White has impressed with his ability to run between the tackles and catch the ball. Now, I haven't seen that on display in the games, but they do take practice into account when making personnel decisions.

"I think Ridley is a good running back and has value that belongs on a 53-man roster in the NFL. At the same time, I would share my opinion that the Patriots have good depth at the position and also my sense that perhaps the public perception of Ridley is not necessarily completely aligned with the internal perception in New England. My opinion is that it's not just one thing (e.g. fumbles) that contributes to that; it's the whole mosaic that comes with every player and what teams value in players at the position. Let's see how it turns out; there are always a lot of moving parts at this time of year."

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think Ridley's benching had as much to do with his showboating as it did with ball control. I think it's possible Belichick just doesn't like him.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think Ridley's benching had as much to do with his showboating as it did with ball control. I think it's possible Belichick just doesn't like him.

Or perhaps Ivan Fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back