Welcome to PatsFans.com

76% of American's can't be wrong...but they ARE!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 13, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

76% of Americans believe Barack Obama can fix the economy! Can you believe that crap. How much can a country get themselves in denial?

Even if 100% believe it, it will still be false. If he does it, he'll be the first in US history to do so. But, when you think about it, the economy will eventually have to get better. So if that happens in 6 years, does he get the credit even though it won't be him that does it?:rolleyes:

76% say Obama can fix economy - poll
    CNN survey shows about three-quarters believe Obama will improve economic conditions and calm markets.

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A poll released Thursday found that a majority of Americans believe that President-elect Barack Obama can fix the economy.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll, 76% of Americans said they believe it's likely that Obama will improve economic conditions.

In addition, 73% of those surveyed said they believe that Obama will bring stability to the financial markets.

The poll shows that the public is optimistic about the incoming administration in spite of the tough economic conditions, according to Martha Joynt Kumar, professor of political science at Towson University in Maryland and director of the White House Transition Project, a research group.

"I think it speaks to the goodwill that the public has for President-Elect Obama," Kumar said."

Poll shows Obama has Americans' confidence on economy - Nov. 13, 2008

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

why are you ultra negative PR?

we know things are bad, really bad, but why such the pessissism?

people also thought they could have a mrtgage and got foreclosed on, what do you expect?

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I just think people are setting Obama up for failure by setting unrealistic expectations biggles. I'm actually trying to defend Obama. Hey, it shows that even republicans must be betting on him.

If I asked you if you thought Obama was going to "fix" the economy, would you say "YES!"? I hope he can, but he doesn't have the tools to fix it. but I guess that depends on what is meant by "fix". if they mean "can he correct what has gone wrong" by implementing laws & regulations that would never again allow what went wrong to ever happen again, I'd say yes.

People who thought they could have a mortgage and got foreclosed upon only have theirselves to blame. If you don't read the fine print on the biggest investment of your life, you can't be too bright. That's why they have lawyers.

A family making $80K/yr does not deserve to own a $450K home:rolleyes:

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

They also believe he can make the blind see and he can walk on water, bow in his presence.

HE IS "THE ONE"

GOD DAMN AMERICA

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I forgot about that! Ok, I'll vote "Yes, Obama will fix the economy!":D

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I thought maybe this topic would get more discussion.

How many out there believe Obama can "Fix" the economy?

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I guess it depends on the timeframe. I expect "he" will, given that the economy will improve at some point whoever is the President. Those who voted for him expecting a magic switch, however, will be massively disappointed; and I think there's a good number of them.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You're right BF, but I think that's based upon the fact that people gravitate toward hope rather than despair. We all "want" the economy to turn around and there is great fear for Americans' financial future.

It's natural that people choose to believe Obama can "fix sh1t" rather quickly since that alternative is to believe we're in deep doo-doo. Unlike the experts on this board, most Americans don't have a clue about economics and they will believe most anything they hear or read.

9. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I would have said yes, if I was polled.

However, don't read too much into that. I am well aware that the president can't fix the economy the way an plumber can fix a leaky pipe.

The 76% like myself are saying they believe Obama will take steps that will improve the economy.

10. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

He can help, maybe, but no one person can "fix" it. Presidents unrealistically get credit and blame for things out of their hands. They are the figurehead, so they should take some responsibility I guess, but something as complicated as the economy take much more than one executive officer.

You're right PR, people are just setting themselves up to be disappointed. Because, you know, God forbid they try to do something on their own to help fix the economy by spending less, trying to reduce their debt, and acting responsibly. They'd rather think someone else can do it so they don't have to change their behavior and relegate responsibility. Then they can yell and scream if said person fails or makes things worse.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You said a mouth full of truth right there Army!

12. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You're obviously one of the 24% :rolleyes:

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

YES WE CAN!

And I mean "WE", no president Obama. If he does "fix" it, then he'll be the first president to every accomplish that feat. Probably the first world leader in history to do that.

Economies can't be manipulated by policy to set proper balance. Especially with capitalism which is inherently "corrected" by the laws of supply & demand. Hoover's and FDR's policies during the great depression are widely believed to have made it worse and last longer. However, to their credit, their policies prevented more people from suffering than would have otherwise.

14. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

These people VOTED for Obama.

15. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Interesting you mention that PR... have you read The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes? That's the main source I hear talked about when people are arguing that FDR lengthened the Depression with his policies. If I heard right, I also believe that UCLA might have released a study recently that supported this notion.