Welcome to PatsFans.com

75 Hours To the Dustin Keller Signing?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shmessy, May 28, 2014.

1. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

A correction

1.) Amendola's 2014 cap hit currently is $4.575m.If traded tomorrow, his dead money hit would be $4.8m, an increase of 225,000. If traded after tomorrow, his 2014 dead money hit would be $1.2m and his 2015 cap hit would be $3.6 million.
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed - I think the problem with the TEs behind Gronk is strictly one of talent. There isn't anyone good after him.
  3. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

The question is why has not a team that has signed more UFAs than they have lost this offseason has not already signed Keller. They have nothing to gain by waiting until June 1 to sign him.
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. Patsgofor4

Patsgofor4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Perhaps Keller realizes that the Pats (on a one year deal) are the ideal situation to prove that he is healthy and is worthy of a multi year contract next offseason. It seems potentially significant to me that he hasn't visited any other teams since his workout and physical in Foxboro....?handshake agreement, like Clowney shutting down his visits, likely after the Texans committed to him at #1. Rappaport indicated that Keller's visit was very positive in all aspects.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

Dustin Keller has played well in spots during his career. From my viewpoint, and probably only because he's always been in the AFC East, I've watched him from afar and he seemingly disappears for stretches of the season. I have no idea if that is an indictment of him or some of the terrible offenses he's played in, but it is something I've noticed.

With that said, I do believe he'd be an upgrade if added to the roster. I actually would like to see it. I'd take him over Finley if given the choice. At the least, he does give Brady a legitimate receiving threat, unlike Hooman and Mullins (no longer with team).

On a somewhat lighter note, NE does seem to be stockpiling on guys with bad knees lately.lol
  6. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +727 / 77 / -119

#12 Jersey

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You do realize that Mark Sanchez was his QB?
    You do realize his QB was Mark Sanchez?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

Your presumption seems to be that the player has no say in a transaction. Perhaps Keller is waiting until after June 1st in order to have better choices among teams that might want his services.

Considering that Keller had no great contract before May 1, it does not hurt him to wait until all the teams are in the running. And just maybe he prefers the patriots.

9. Big-T

Big-T On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 11 / -4

#51 Jersey

One thing Keller has shown through his career is that he can get on the same page as the QB whoever it is, he was already showing signs of very good chemistry with Tannehill before he got injured last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JMC00

JMC00 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +303 / 5 / -7

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +349 / 13 / -8

#91 Jersey

Since its our inalienable right as fans to draw all kinds of inferences from various unsubstantiated sources, the fact that Keller hasn't been signed yet can be attributed to one of 2 things.

1. BB likes what he's seen from the myriad of UDFA's he signed thus far in OTA's

2. (and most likely) Keller isn't physically ready yet....but is on track to be ready for TC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

Interesting. One possibility I'll weave out of thin air: Keller can't fully work out yet, and thus knows that the only contract he can hope for at this point is pure vet minimum. But his rehab is coming along well enough that he thinks he might be in a better bargaining position relatively soon.

Alternately, totally not that. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

I think a post injury Keller, young unknown or whatever other flotsam and jetsom is out there, might not be a lot better deal than some camp cut.

I mean, it's not as if the rest of the league is beating down the doors for him or Finley. when BB wants a unique talent he knows to pull that trigger right away. When it's a matter of a bunch of flawed or unknown quantities, he waits.
    I think there's also the fact that teams have 90 players on their roster. That's lots of players to cut and I'm sure he has a book on every one. Teams that drafted or acquired TEs will have to cut one.

Let's face it, there's no close Gronk substitute and there might be Hernandez size players that are not as talented as him. He probably has a book of role players who might become available and he'll give a bunch a look.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

75 hours to Mark Harrison re-signing? :oops:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +273 / 4 / -1

#95 Jersey

I really miss the 2 TE sets we ran with AH and Gronk....man did that put the fear of god in Ds
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 26 / -18

No Jersey Selected

The opposing defense didn't know if we were running or passing; that's the beauty of the 2-TE offense.
    For that reason I'm surprised that Bill hasn't made a better effort to re-stock the position after another
    Gronk injury and the Prisoner's arrest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

Of the options available this offseason, what would you have done? (Not attacking, honestly curious.) The Gronk/Prisoner offense was unstoppable not because there were 2 TEs, but because those players were so darned good. IMO, nobody even close was available this year.

The position was a disaster in the draft. Pre-draft fans were saying "I'd much rather spend a 4 or 5 on Fiedorowicz than a 2 on Amaro." As it turned out, it would have had to be a 2 on Fiedorowicz! Pretty much the only FA of significance who went cheap was Owen Daniels, and I get the impression that his services were ignored by the league for a reason -- he's no longer athletic enough to create any mismatches.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. livinginthe past

livinginthe past Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yes, the options just aren't there for the 2-TE offense this year - on the plus side, we have alot of young WR's with potential on the roster.

I have no doubt we'll see alot of 3 wide this year - the make up of the likely roster almost guaratees this.
  19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

We can run from 3 wide or even from shotgun. The fact is that Amendola blocks better than the unmentionable one, Lafell too I think.
  20. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

Exactly. you can't manufacture players. BB spent two #1s on TEs and brought in a truckload over the last decade, yet never really had that two TE offense that scared anyone until he got lucky with an injury question mark and what turned out to be a murderer.

People are not product units. the next best player is not always anywhere close to the better one and BB isn't going to fill the roster with injury or talent question marks when he'll have plenty of opportunity to look over camp cuts in addition to what he's pondering now. Maybe he'd rather try a project, like the NH guy.