Welcome to PatsFans.com

72K & 1800 per month from SSDI.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jan 11, 2011.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 13 / -9

If you need SSDI called Bender and Bender.....

A girl I use to work with just stopped bye to visit her girlfriend at work.
    She showed us her paperwork.

After getting shot down by SSDI twice Bender and Bender got her a
    settlement of 72K (4 Years back pay) and $1800 per month.

What is wrong with her..... Nothing..... She is bi-polar.

What a joke......

She said that they base her payment on how much she was making
    at her job.

She lost her job (layed off) 4 years ago and she collected unemployment
    for 99 weeks.

If she did not get layed off, she would still be working here.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

That's not nothing, but you're right that it isn't disability, either (unless you want it to be) -- at least in the cases I personally know of.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

If that settlement is for real, I would guess it's coming from the employer's insurance company, not the Social Security administration, since a settlement like that would open the floodgates ... or there's something more to the woman's diagnosis than bipolar.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

SSI has always been an issue, remember an 18 year old girl who was very happy because she got on SSI because she essentially could not read..

Time and time again there are drug addicts who live off of SSI.. not sure the answer, but in the past "protective payments" have usually led to theft by the person receiving the payment..

Bi Polar is not a completely disabling issue, it can be controlled with meds and treatment, it would make more sense that SSI in this case be conditional dependent on her cooperation with tx and some type of retraining.

OTOH always need to be wary of hearsay information.. or what someone told you someone said.
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

Actually, drug addicts do not get SSI. That said, many drug addicts have other problems as well, such as psychosis, schizophrenia, PTSD, or serious physical injury. I'm sure every now and then someone manages to sneak through, since there are addicts who apply and reapply.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

Am acutely aware of dual diagnosis.. the issue is what comes first the addictions or the mental illness???.. either way to just give someone a blank check with no conditions for life is wrong..
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

Think about what you typed. While addicts won't get it for being an adict, they will get it because they'll be diagnosed as having a mental disorder of some kind because, well, they are an addict.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

What difference would it make once they are both in place? A person wouldn't be any less sick because one preceeded the other, would they?
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

My personal favorite, are the 20 and 30 somethings that walk into my office looking for an apartment, who list their SSDI disability check as income. The saddest part is that the majority of them can barely speak english. Only in America!
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

So "disabled" means "not able to walk?"
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

I agree with you Darryl. and being a recovering addict myself, I can say that no addict should get any gov't money unless they're sober/straight. And I also believe they should have to prove their sobriety periodically.

Giving $$ to an active addict is like throwing gasoline on a fire.
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Do you check to make sure they're legal citizens?
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

You have it backwards. While there are some party animals who become addics, most don't fall into that category:
    - The soldier who becomes addicted as a resulted of a war injury when he was prescribed opiates.
    - The young man who grew up in a household where his parents introduced him to drugs at the age of 12.
    - The young woman who was raped by her father, and has haunting memories from which she cannot escape.
    - The woman whose husband knocked all her teeth and would ply her with alcohol to shut her up.
    - The man who turned to drugs, after being the one who survived a car accident that killed those he loved.
    - The man who hears voices constantly telling him bs, who wants nothing more than to find a way to quiet those voices.

Most drug addicts have frightening pasts and become addicted because of that. Like many people, they tried drugs, including alcohol, at a young age, but it's the horrific physical or mental trauma that turned them into addicts. Many of them have tried more than a dozen times (and I'm not exaggerating) to break free from addiction through various programs. Of the 100 or so people I've worked with so far, only a few fit your description, and frankly they are not the ones who get disability.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Although a good percentage of addiction results from the causes you listed, it's certainly not the majority. Alcoholism mostly results from a condition(s) one is born with that make life more difficult to deal with than a "normal" person does. As a result, the addict begins to medicate themselves with drugs or alcohol and actually believes it is what is holding them together.

But the reality is that it actually makes whatever condition they are born with worse over time.

Most do not have "life-changing trama" that causes their addiction. As with most things in life, most addicts are "run of the mill"

Things like ADD & deep insecurity lead to addiction as often as a horrendous childhood & adult experiences.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

You frighten me sometimes with you anecdotal knee jerk responses, after you have worked with about 5,000 people than you might have some credibility. Not every addict has suffered trauma, not every person with a mental health issue uses drugs/alcohol.. sometimes as a professional you need to enable people to take control, not just government cash.

The reality is that this is an overused program, with few controls.. don't forget they also get the accompanying free medical with no conditions once determined eligible.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

You're wrong, PR. The evidence that alcoholism is genetic is unclear, with most experts thinking that genetics plays a contributing role for some addicts, but environment plays the leading role. Children of alcoholics are often raised in violent and abusive households. That's the cycle that creates the alcoholism. If a child of alcoholics manages to escape that cycle, the children of that child have only a slightly greater chances of becoming alcoholics than the rest of us. Most addicts have had life changing trauma, which may have to do with the alcoholism in the home they grew up with. Low self esteem and ADD may contribute to addiction, but certainly low self esteem comes from a problematic family system or community. ADD is another issue altogether, and I don't really believe in ADD (though there are exceptions).
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Again, as a recovering addict, most of us look for & want "the easier, softer way". I'm very, very grateful I did not go to some gov't service to get that. I've have to re-learn how to live life with the help of other alcoholics/addicts.

Have I "dealt with" psychological issues by seeking professional help? Yes, I have. I spent almost 10 years on medication and then decided I did not want to live my life medicated. It's been almost 10 years since I last took any prescriptions to treat myself and I actually feel better and I know my self-esteem has benefitted greatly from knowing that fact.

It's been 21 years since my last drink/drug and it's a process I wouldn't trade for anything. I also know that some of us must stay on medications just to maintain their sanity and I have deep respect for that as well.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Some people don't believe in alcoholism either Patters. You should have written, "in my OPINION, you're wrong PR"

Just know for a fact that AA has and will always help more addicts than professionals and doctors can.

We need people like yourself Patters and I'm glad you're doing what you do.

If what you believe were true, then why do some children of abusive families become alcoholics while others do not? In my family, I am the only child (out of 4) who became an addict?

I'd like your explanation?

In my opinion (which is all there is right now), you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree.

P.S. Either you believe in something or don't regarding ADD. Just as an FYI, I have ADD. I have very little capacity to recall names on short notice (as in conversation) and I am overwhelmed by many things normal people take in stride. The reality is Patters, you're not qualified to say you don't believe in it.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

I base my knowledge my experience, on research, as well as the knowledge of those who have been in the field for decades. I don't know if you have been in the position of a therapist who learns from documents and clients their secrets, but if you haven't I'm not sure on what basis you're making your claim. Why would people confide in you? Who do you work for that they trust you're on their side?

I rarely help people get disability unless I think they truly need it. My job is to do as you say, help people take control and build a better life, but they face enormous challenges; they often have CORIs or lack social skills or have other obstacles to landing even minimum wage jobs.

The reality is we have an underclass in this nation who were not protected as children, received poor education and social services, and are lost souls. So far, the only people I've tried to help get disability are schizophrenics and those suffering from serious physical conditions. I don't deny there are some who play the system, but they're certainly not the majority, and I don't enable them.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -6

AA/NA is a normal part of any addiction treatment plan, and believe me, just about every single week I ask my clients if they've gone to meetings. For some, AA is enough. For others, they need additional services as well. Also, some, such as those with medical conditions, PTSD, or schizophrenia are unable to go to AA meetings.

Obviously, PR, I can only speculate about your situation, but each child experiences things differently, and it's awfully hard to say what your experiences were like for you. You may well have had an experience that was traumatizing to you that no one, including you, can recall. For instance, maybe a bat flew into your room and terrified you when you were a young child (or another trauma that no one paid much heed to), maybe you suffered an illness that frightened your parents so much that you became aware of your own vulnerability, maybe there was a tragedy when you were at a key developmental age that your siblings were not at, maybe you were bullied in school and your siblings were not, maybe your siblings had an adult in their life (e.g., a teacher) who gave them encouragement and you did not experience that, maybe you were simply one of those party animals who ended in the wrong crowd and stayed too long, maybe you became addicted as a result of prescriptions, maybe your parents had expectations for you that made you feel like a failure when you were young, maybe you were abused at time that you can't recall or abused worse than your siblings (often abusive parents single out one child)--there are countless possibilities. If you were my client I'd want to explore first where you got the strength to go into recovery and stick with AA (if that's what you're doing). I'd wonder if your siblings had become addicts, would they have had the strength to recover. In other words, maybe in some ways you were a victim of your own strength, and believed 'I could never become an addict,' at the time you were using.

As far as my saying, "you're wrong." It's not my opinion, but it was based on what I've read about genetics and substance abuse. The evidence is in fact unclear as to the role of genetics. I don't think that's an opinion.