Welcome to PatsFans.com

72% of Israelis Support Pre-Emptive Nukes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Oct 1, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This aggressive mentality has permeated into American neocon and AIPAC philosophy:

"Approximately 72 percent of Israelis support the use of nuclear weapons in certain circumstances, according to a Canadian survey released recently.

The survey - conducted jointly at the end of July by the Simons Foundation and Angus Reid Strategies - was answered by adults in six countries and showed that 37% of Israelis believed the use of nuclear weapons to prevent a war would be justified, while 35% believed the weapons could be justifiably used during a war.

In addition, the survey found that Israel had the lowest public support for destroying nuclear weapons out of all the countries questioned.

Israel also had the highest percentage in favor of the country using its "power and influence in a way that serves its own interests" - approximately 55% - as opposed to "coordinating with other countries to do what's best for the world as a whole."

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1189411522274&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Israel:
    They're scared, they know that the minute the Muslims get a nuke they will use Israel to test it on, Israel also knows the only way to win a street fight is "hit first".

American Jews have all gone "Hollywood Left" and abandoned their own people, a prominent Jew in Israel said recently "Brabara Striesand had better never visit this country again"

Who knows where all this sh!t will end, it isn't a very popular thing to say among the Bush Hater Liberals but the Nation Of Islam is now becoming a threat to the whole Non Islamic World and they will kill you at the drop of a hat, a christian hat.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Iran remains home to Jewish enclave

http://www.jewsnotzionists.org/iranianjews.html

Did you all know that Iran has a seat in their parliament for a Jew, and has the largest jewish polualtion of any arab nation?

I didn't.

TEHRAN - The Jewish women in the back rows of the synagogue wear long garments in the traditional Iranian style, but instead of chadors, their heads are covered with cheerful, flowered scarves. The boys in their skullcaps, with Hebrew prayer books tucked under their arms, scamper down the aisles to grab the best spots near the lush, turquoise Persian carpet of the altar. This is Friday night, Shabbat - Iranian style, and the synagogue in an affluent neighborhood of North Tehran is filled to capacity with more than 400 worshipers.

It is one of the many paradoxes of the Islamic Republic of Iran that this most virulent anti-Israeli country supports by far the largest Jewish population of any Muslim country. While Jewish communities in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Egypt, Morocco and Algeria have all but vanished, Iran is home to 25,000 - some here say 35,000 - Jews. The Jewish population is less than half the number that lived here before the Islamic revolution of 1979. But the Jews have tried to compensate for their diminishing numbers by adopting a new religious fervor. ''The funny thing is that before the Islamic revolution, you would see maybe 20 old men in the synagogue,'' whispers Nahit Eliyason, 48, as she climbs over four other women to find one of the few vacant seats. ''Now the place is full. You can barely find a seat.'' Parvis Yashaya, a film producer who heads Tehran's Jewish community, adds: ''we are smaller, but we are stronger in some ways.''
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

No, I never knew that, do they have anything to say about this Iran vs Israel thing :confused:
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, I know that Pakistan is an Islamic Republic; you do NOT change your religion if you are born Muslim in Pakistan. Of course, if you are born any other religion, you are cheerfully welcomed to become Muslim!!

And Pakistan has had nukes for about ten years now, never even hinted at using them on Israel.

//
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

Surprise, surprise your headline is both inaccurate, and flat out wrong. You should either read the article again, or learn to read. Where does it say 72% support the use of pre-emptive nukes? Besides that, the article itself is very misleading with respect to how it represents the actual results.

Hmmm...I'm curious, if you asked 1,000 Americans this question, what percentage would say yes?

Do you support the use of nuclear weapons under certain circumstances?

Hmmm...um, YES! Now, list the circumstances if you want a more specific understanding of when I would, or wouldn't use them.
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

RW, you need to brush up on your reading comprehension. 37% of Israelis believed the first use of nuclear weapons to prevent a war would be justified, while another 35% said you could use nukes first during a war. That means 72% specifically said they are for pre-emptive nukes before anyone else uses them. It's not as vague as you'd like to make it sound like.
  8. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A minor point to begin, but most of the Iranians would take offense to being labeled an Arab nation. Also, I wonder if the numbers and the Jewish population in Muslim nations ranking is still true today given Israel-Turkey relations.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

This is your headline:

72% of Israelis Support Pre-Emptive Nukes

No where in the article does it say this. Of course, the first line of the article says this:

Approximately 72 percent of Israelis support the use of nuclear weapons in certain circumstances, according to a Canadian survey released recently.

So let's examine what it does say:

....was answered by adults in six countries and showed that 37% of Israelis believed the use of nuclear weapons to prevent a war would be justified, while 35% believed the weapons could be justifiably used during a war.

I think once a war has started, dropping a bomb is no longer pre-emptive now is it?
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

corrected...PERSIAN nation.

still

its would be like the US Senate keeping a seat for a "terrorist"
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Launching nukes, when not in retaliation of the enemy launching nukes, is pre-emptive.

You can do math, can't you? 72% advocate the pre-emptive use of nukes.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

BUSTED, Maverick!....OUCH!:eek:
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

OK, it seems you can't do math:

Of 100% of people interviewed,
    37% of Israelis believe in the use of pre-emptive nukes to prevent a war
    35% of Israelis believe in the first use of nukes during a war.
    ======
    Total = 72% of Israelis believe in the first, pre-emptive use of nukes.
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hey, mav: if there's a war going on, using nukes first, before the other side uses nukes but after hostilities have already started, is not "pre-emptive" any more. "Escalation", yes; but not "pre-emptive". At least not by my definition of pre-emptive.

//
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No.
    Those are separate questions.
    Who's to say most of the respondents think the questions are the same? You can't add them up!
  16. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yes, you're right and I've known many Middle Easterners from my college days from Egyptians, Saudis, Pakistanis and Iranians. For the most part, the Pakis were the most militant and the Iranians the most moderate. And none of this had to do with their socio-economic status for they were all similarly elites who could afford the high tuition.
  17. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maverick sure has a hard-on for Israel doesnt he?
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

'35% say use is justified during war' seems a bit weird.

I'd guess that if you asked Israelis if they should shoot back if Iran or any other nation used nukes on them during a war, 100% or near to it would say yes, not 35%

IMO if Israel was losing a conventional war and being over-run I'd say first use of nukes would still be preemptive, just not wrong or immoral. No matter what you must not let your nation be conquered and almost anything goes if that's likely to happen. If they were winning this imaginary war and used them, I'd call it preemptive and morally wrong.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

Reading is fundamental! [​IMG]
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

If a train left NY at 300 miles per hour, and accelerated speed at 15 miles per hour, and traveled a distance, of 683 miles. Tell me sir, at what time would that train reach Chicago?

Dat's a farghing treek queston!

[​IMG]

Roman Moronie: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel. You lousy cork-suckers. You have violated my fargin' rights. This suminonbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens, like me, could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin' ice holes, like yourselves.