Welcome to PatsFans.com

700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 23, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing - Yahoo! News

It's all good.:singing::singing: I'd love to get paid for doing nothing. Who wouldn't?
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

It seems to me they should be given work. I can see not firing them until they are guilty. It would create a huge mess for the city if some of those employees were fired without pay, and then found to be guilty of nothing. But, why they can't be given some kind of work is beyond me? Even if they were accused of molesting a child, they should still be able to teach adults, and surely the city offers some adult education programs. As is, it's just a terrible waste for everyone. Innocent until proven guilty does not mean getting paid to do nothing.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

My fiance talks about this with me. They have a teacher at school who shows up with booze on her breathe, and all the teachers want her gone. Good luck.
  5. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Union is the one to be blamed.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

Why would you blame a union for protecting the innocent until proven guilty? If nothing else, a union should do that. The blame falls on the city for not making these people work. I'm sure out of those 700 they could set up some adult education and other programs that would serve the city's interest.
  7. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

How can these people be fired when the union makes it hard to do so?

don't you see any guilt in a child molestor teacher?
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

If a teacher is accused of molesting a child, the teacher is not automatically guilty and, I would bet more often than not, is innocent. But, I agree the teacher should be taken away from children while the investigation is taking place. That teacher, in my opinion, should be assigned another useful task -- perhaps adult ed or some sort of office work.

Now, as far as tenure goes, I agree it is too generous, and that it should be easier to fire teachers. Teachers should be subject to peer reviews, independent reviews, and student reviews, and a method should be developed to get rid of the incompetent, ignorant, and lazy teachers regardless of tenure. But, just because a teacher is accused of something does not mean that they should be fired without pay.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Idle hands are the devil's play things.

Such malfeasance only lowers the morale of everyone.

No damn good.

//
  10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the city can't make them do anything other than what the union contract makes them do.......

they should not be awarded any rights that aren't available in the private sector..........

fact is that this is the way the contract works, so can't blame the current situation on anyone other than those who agreed to it.......

I believe they should all be fired........

if we lived in Patter's world, murderers would all walk the street until they are found guilty with no bail
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +279 / 10 / -26

If they are accused, they have not been found guilty or innocent.. due process is a constitutional guarantee.... some folks do not like how the constitution is applied to everyone.. hysteria and hyperbole is preferred to logic and reason.

Are everyone of these 700 teachers guilty??? If so they do a terrible job of screening potential employees..

Contracts are mutually negotiated agreements, so it is erroneous to blame one side and not the other..
  12. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

in this instance, it is not.....it is whatever is stipulated in the contract.......there are no constitutional guarantees for employment......I can fire any subordinate and there's nothing the constitution can do about it
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +279 / 10 / -26

Talking out of your rightie ass again, you do not have a clue what you are talking about, due process and the belief that you are innocent until proven guilty are constitutioinally guaranteed, part of the boilerplate of any union contract are due process rights.. you cannot fire anyone you want in this setting, unless they have been convicted of wrongdoing. That is why unions are so great and have made this country so strong.

The world does not work the way you want it to or work the way you think it does..
  14. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

heh..........unions are destroying this country...........the stipulations in any contract do not have anything to do with the constitution unless the stipulations are unconstitutional.........if the contract says you can be fired for any reason, then you can be fired for any reason.........

you and the unions are whats wrong with this country....and it is obvious I know how it works a hell of alot better than you do.......

decide to break the mod rules yourself, fukwad?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's very, very simple, boys and girls: if we allow the unions (and their behind-the-scenes mentors, Organized Crime) to have their way, China and Russia and Venezuela will end up with everything. Don't believe it?? Those people have *perfected* organized crime and made it into a way of life.

Either we have open transparency or we work for "bosses". Our choice.

//
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +279 / 10 / -26

Nice talk, try to deal with you intelligently.. but my preconception is once again pearls to swine...

How can you fire someone based on an accusation?? You cannot go to jail based on an accusation, you cannot loose your license if you are thought to be driving drunk...

You obviously know nothing about the Constitution and its application regarding union contracts.. every contract has "boilerplate" that affords the rank file and protections in accordance with the constitution.. thus if you are alleged to have committed an offense you are entitled to due process and are innocent until proven guilty.

There are ways around all of this, however most folks prefer rhetoric rather than fact.. "unions are ruining this country" is just another right wing talking point.. there is nothing to prove this, just another fantasy.

If and when you know what you are talking about please respond.. if not move on.
  17. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you give yourself way too much credit
    privately employed people can be terminated for any reason.......it is written in most offers for employment......

as for driving, it is not a right, it is a privilege ........ you can lose your license for refusing a breathalyzer, so you do lose your license when you are thought to be drunk

I know plenty about the constitution.....you just down know anything about labor laws.........

I do know.....you're the moron with no clue
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +279 / 10 / -26

Thanks for the name calling, adds value to the conversation..
  19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

great enough to destroy the auto industry as well as every other product unions are associated with.........your opinion is self-serving

good backpedal......driving is not a right....case closed

I own my own company.......I know exactly what cause I need to remove someone from my payroll........exactly.........you just simply choose not to use that huge knowledge of yours

you're welcome.....I know it does
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +279 / 10 / -26

You may have hired and fired people, personally been involved with big time labor relations on many levels... have been on both sides of hiring, training, discipline, negotiations, terminations and the whole gamut of what running large public organizations entails..

You cannot mix what you experience with the reality of unions... the world does not work that way, btw what is the name of your company, maybe I can arrange for some union operatives to pay you a visit to assist the rank and file in making good decisions and to insure you are treating them well.