PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 round interactive mock complete, here is what the pats got

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the interactive mock that I posted here a few weeks ago. I tried to take some of the advice that I got from all of you when I got into another draft and here is what I have drafted.
I wasn't able to get as good of trades this time around, but...
let me know what you think
Trade: Patriots trade #21 and 86 to the Panthers for #27 and #58

#27-Bobby Carpenter, OLB- A player similar to Vrable who could step in and play immediately. Seem like a Patriot player all the way. Belichick coached his dad in NY, so there is some history. He has also been working out with Vrabel throughout the offseason the past 2 years, so they should know what he is all about.

#52-Richard Marshall, CB- A tough, phsical corner who plays the run well. At one point this pick was a real possibility, but marshall is moving up fast, so this would be amazing if he fell to me here. The bears could even look at him at #26 now.

#58-Demetrius Williams, WR- A taller wide reciever that runs good routes and catches everything thrown at him. Not super fast but seems to get open. Will go over the middle. Had a down year because Oregon States starting QB was hurt most of the season. Can start right away next to Branch.

#75-Chris Cocong, DE/OLB- Super productive player in college that will have to transition to a 3-4 OLB. Awesome pass rusher with 42 sacks in the last 2 years. Will need to work on run defense, but was very impressive at the combine.

#106-Jerious Norwood, RB- After the big 3 or 4, Norwood seems to be one of the few RB's left who looks like an every down back. Productive in college, he has nice size and speed and could be ready to take over for dillon after this season.

#118-Anthony Smith, S- Although he is a little small, he plays much bigger than he is. He hits like a truck and plays with a mean streak. Very good coming up and playing against the run and is above average in pass coverage. Could be the perfect replacement for Harrison when the time comes and could end up being just like him if he copies his game after harrison.

#136-David Thomas, TE- Not one of the flashy TE's that the league has started to fall in love with, but Thomas was productive at Texas. Not spectacular at any one thing, but he does have good hands and is also a good blocker. Will be a nice #TE and could potentially be a #2.

#191-Tim Dobbins, ILB- Hi character guy who is a very good tackler and team leader. He is very good against the run. He has good size and speed for the position. Needs to work on his pass coverage skills, but has a high cieling and will help on special teams immediately.

#205-Brandon Marshall, WR- A player from a smaller school who dominated at his position. Played safety his junior year becasue of injuries, so he figures to be a team first kind of guy. Compared to Terell Owens in terms of size and speed, but without the attitude. He is raw and will need to work on running routes, but potential is out of this world.

#206-Patrick Ross, C- Another BC lineman who will bring some depth to the center position and security if Koppen does not resign next year. Plays with a mean streak and is technically sound. Reminds me a lot of Koppen.

#229-Josh Huston, K- Another kicker out of the Ohio State factory. Huston has a big leg but does lack experience. Had to handle the pressure of taking over for another successful kicker. Can do kickoffs and field goals.

I am torn with taking Donte Whitner, Safety from ohio St. at #21 becasue I think he is going to be awesome and could really kick ass in the patriots system as well.

I've got no major complaints. Then again, it's hard to complain because I don't know who was on the board when you made your selection. I'm guessing you're an Ohio St. fan?

I like the trade you started off with. I would prefer a different WR than Williams. But that's all I'd quibble with.

Funny thing is, I am not an Ohio State fan at all except when they play Iowa. Just seemed to play out that way when pics were made, my highest ranked guys where from Ohio State. I really think Williams might be the best wide reciever in this draft. He had no qb whatsoever last year, and he runs good routes and has decent speed with good hands. Bad year overall for WR which is bad for us.

I really like all the picks...kept looking down at one or two..and....all solid PATRIOT type players..I would love it IF they got all of them...

midwestpatsfan said:
Some of you may remember the interactive mock that I posted here a few weeks ago. I tried to take some of the advice that I got from all of you when I got into another draft and here is what I have drafted.
I wasn't able to get as good of trades this time around, but...
let me know what you think
Trade: Patriots trade #21 and 86 to the Panthers for #27 and #58

#27-Bobby Carpenter, OLB- A player similar to Vrable who could step in and play immediately. Seem like a Patriot player all the way. Belichick coached his dad in NY, so there is some history. He has also been working out with Vrabel throughout the offseason the past 2 years, so they should know what he is all about. Okay

#52-Richard Marshall, CB- A tough, phsical corner who plays the run well. At one point this pick was a real possibility, but marshall is moving up fast, so this would be amazing if he fell to me here. The bears could even look at him at #26 now. Okay

#58-Demetrius Williams, WR- A taller wide reciever that runs good routes and catches everything thrown at him. Not super fast but seems to get open. Will go over the middle. Had a down year because Oregon States starting QB was hurt most of the season. Can start right away next to Branch. Alligator arms in the Senior bowl took him off my board.

#75-Chris Cocong, DE/OLB- Super productive player in college that will have to transition to a 3-4 OLB. Awesome pass rusher with 42 sacks in the last 2 years. Will need to work on run defense, but was very impressive at the combine. And was very impressive in the Shrine Game. Excellent choice.

#106-Jerious Norwood, RB- After the big 3 or 4, Norwood seems to be one of the few RB's left who looks like an every down back. Productive in college, he has nice size and speed and could be ready to take over for dillon after this season. Okay, but I'd have addressed other positions and looked for Whitehead or Daniels in the 6th.

#118-Anthony Smith, S- Although he is a little small, he plays much bigger than he is. He hits like a truck and plays with a mean streak. Very good coming up and playing against the run and is above average in pass coverage. Could be the perfect replacement for Harrison when the time comes and could end up being just like him if he copies his game after harrison. I like the player, but just don't see the value to the team as presently constituted.

#136-David Thomas, TE- Not one of the flashy TE's that the league has started to fall in love with, but Thomas was productive at Texas. Not spectacular at any one thing, but he does have good hands and is also a good blocker. Will be a nice #TE and could potentially be a #2. Okay

#191-Tim Dobbins, ILB- Hi character guy who is a very good tackler and team leader. He is very good against the run. He has good size and speed for the position. Needs to work on his pass coverage skills, but has a high cieling and will help on special teams immediately. Okay

#205-Brandon Marshall, WR- A player from a smaller school who dominated at his position. Played safety his junior year becasue of injuries, so he figures to be a team first kind of guy. Compared to Terell Owens in terms of size and speed, but without the attitude. He is raw and will need to work on running routes, but potential is out of this world. I was just shown two draft sites with notes on his personality issues, that said, it's a flyer pick so a good talent to take a flyer on.

#206-Patrick Ross, C- Another BC lineman who will bring some depth to the center position and security if Koppen does not resign next year. Plays with a mean streak and is technically sound. Reminds me a lot of Koppen. Okay.

#229-Josh Huston, K- Another kicker out of the Ohio State factory. Huston has a big leg but does lack experience. Had to handle the pressure of taking over for another successful kicker. Can do kickoffs and field goals. Unless one of the kickers is head and shoulders above the top five, I'd hold off and go for a UDFA signing, but not a wasted pick so fair.

I am torn with taking Donte Whitner, Safety from ohio St. at #21 becasue I think he is going to be awesome and could really kick ass in the patriots system as well.
Out of curiosity, did you have a positional shopping list you worked off when partcipating in the mock?

midwestpatsfan said:
Funny thing is, I am not an Ohio State fan at all except when they play Iowa. Just seemed to play out that way when pics were made, my highest ranked guys where from Ohio State. I really think Williams might be the best wide reciever in this draft. He had no qb whatsoever last year, and he runs good routes and has decent speed with good hands. Bad year overall for WR which is bad for us.

Er... A little faulty information there. His QB was Clemens, who might go 4th amoung QB's in the draft. When I think of D Williams, I think bethel w/o the great speed.

Last edited:
SamBamsFan said:
Er... A little faulty information there. His QB was Clemmons, who might go 4th amoung QB's in the draft. When I think of D Williams, I think bethel w/o the great speed.

Not really erroneous, because Clemens was hurt virtually all season. At one time, he (Clemens) was my sleeper pick. I don't think he qualifies anymore.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Not really erroneous, because Clemens was hurt virtually all season. At one time, he (Clemens) was my sleeper pick. I don't think he qualifies anymore.

Well, as the draft nears, I keep hearing about more and more warts on Jacobs, Whitehurst & Croyle. It wouldn't surprise me if he was 4th. It wouldn't surprise me if he went 7th... His stock has been rising though in comparison to the other 3.

dryheat44 said:
Not really erroneous, because Clemens was hurt virtually all season.
That is correct. And the QB that replaced him, Dennis Dixon I beleive, also split time w/Clemens. Dixon is a running QB and threw the ball deep or ran with it if not handing-off.
Also, in the 1st post of this thread, it says D Williams went to OSU. For those who don't know, he went to Oregon. He is a deep threat, but not great speed.

Over-all, I'd be happy with this draft. The trade down was ok.

Here are my comments:
27) I don't care for Carpenter, but at 27 he's good value
52) Richard Marshall is good value at 52.
58) I don't care for Williams. He had the dropsies during the Senior Bowl. I'd rather take Stovall or reach for Avant at that time. Or Add Maurice Drew.
75) Chris Gocong - I like this pick, though Mark Anderson might be better value at that position.
104) Jerius Norwood - Don't like the pick. Rather have Drew earlier.
118) Anthony Smith - Love the pick though not sure the Pats, with 8 safeties on board already, will add a 9th.
136) David Thomas - Love the pick
191) Tim Dobbins - Not sure that the Pats would add 2 ILBs, though they might.
205) Brandon Marshall - NO. NO. NO. NO Terrell Owens like egos allowed ont he Patriots. I rather draft you at that point than someone with that ego.
206)Pat Ross - Great value.
229) Huston is the kicker I have liked though he had very little experience. Gostkowski or Hughes may be a better way to go.

borisman said:
That is correct. And the QB that replaced him, Dennis Dixon I beleive, also split time w/Clemens. Dixon is a running QB and threw the ball deep or ran with it if not handing-off.
Also, in the 1st post of this thread, it says D Williams went to OSU. For those who don't know, he went to Oregon. He is a deep threat, but not great speed.

OK, I'll fess up. Most of these PAC10 games finish when I'm sleeping. I knew Clemens missed the last game & the SunLife whatever bowl. He did actually miss 4.5 games (though he did attempt 289 Passes in the games he played). I still don't like D Williams. I saw him in the Bowl, the Senior Bowl, and parts of the combine & I was definitly underwhelmed.

To get this back on track. Re: your draft. The rest I like. The couple of choices I feel a little "meh" about, I feel that you got them in good value spots, and really that is the best we can hope for. Good work.

I like most of your draft. I think it is funny how different interactice mocks are on different sites. Marshall at 52 is a steal, he went 26 like you mentioned to the Bears in the mock I participated in. Also Ross went a lot lower than we could have had him. 2 great picks there and the trade down was a nice job as well. A little high on Williams, but not a bad pick. I am not a Jerious Norwood fan at all. Overall a pretty solid job though.

Oddly, my foremost hope for Saturday is that we can find a counterparty for that first-round trade-down.

I will be quite surprised if we take anywhere near your eleven players.

But mainly ...
Knowing nothing more about the young men than i read here ... this strikes me as the most promising haul of players i've seen in any mock yet!

Are you kidding? This is just about as good as we can reasonably expect. For those of you who are hoping for better this weekend, adjust your expectations.

27) Carpenter at 27: A+
52) Marshall: A+
58) Williams: C, agree that WR makes sense in this slot, but is this the guy?
75) Gocong: A-
104) Norwood: B, but dont expect this guy to "replace Dillon"... maybe "compete with Pass" is more like it
118) Smith: C, wont replace Rodney, and wont make the 53-man as a rookie
136) Thomas: B+, not my favorite TE prospect, but very respectable-- a keeper
191) Dobbins: A, I'd rather have seen McGarigle here, but I'm confident the Pats will take 2 or 3 LBs this year
205) Marshall: D, not interested
206) Ross: A+, great pick, great character fit, fits a need
229) Houston: A+, nice way to round out the class

Overall, that's a solid B+/A- on my draft card.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments everyone.
I was wondering why people are not very high on Norwood? He seems to have the build and the speed to be an every down back, whereas some of these other guys are 3rd down backs at best.
I am lost as to why so many people are high on Drew. He is 5'7! He is a Darren Sproles type player, more of a novelty act than a runningback. The patriots like them big and running up the middle. Drew is the opposite of what we look for in a runningback. He might be a nice replacement for faulk, but not something that could handle the load. We dont need any more 3rd down backs on this team.
Norwood has nice size and runs great up the middle. He does not have breakaway speed, but either does dillon.
D. Williams did have a bad senior bowl, but his body of work in college is outstanding. His hands are usually very good and he is a good route runner with some size and decent speed. Maybe i missed something on him though.

re: norwood

I've never seen him play but his stats look right, and there is value there in the 4th round from everything I've read. When it comes to the lower echelon of rb's (4th and after), I think everyone has his own favorites and it colors our views. In my own mock (which is still under progress) I've been looking @ both PJ Daniels & Wendall Mathis to take in the 5th. Oddly, all three are relatively similar in size, I'm still just trying to figure out the best fit. But that is just my take...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey