4-106 Reggie McNeal QB Texas A&M
4-118 Eric Henderson DE Georgia Tech
5-136 Rob Ninkovich DE Purdue
6-191 Gerrick McPhearson CB Maryland
6-205 Pat Ross C Boston Col.
6-206 Tommy Jackson DT Auburn
7-229 Keith Ellison LB Oregon St.

7rd mock draft

I think with r first pick we should trade up and try to get santonio holmes. If we dont get another top receiver like branch were in trouble. Branch will be double covered all year long. What do you think? Also i like Adam Jennings from Fresno State, (WR) later in the 6th or 7th round

I don't want any WR on day unless its really, really, really late day 1...... I don't want to pay 1st round money to 3rd talent. Branch will be fine with Caldwell and Troy and the FA's we'll bring in for training camp.

OhExaulted1 said:
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/mock/2006.html

Our Picks-

1-21 DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
2-52 Kelly Jennings CB Miami (FL)
3-75 Leon Williams LB Miami (FL)
3-86 Jeff Webb WR San Diego St.
4-106 Reggie McNeal QB Texas A&M
4-118 Eric Henderson DE Georgia Tech
5-136 Rob Ninkovich DE Purdue
6-191 Gerrick McPhearson CB Maryland
6-205 Pat Ross C Boston Col.
6-206 Tommy Jackson DT Auburn
7-229 Keith Ellison LB Oregon St.

This is a very lousy draft and whomever did it should just stop doing mock drafts all together.

1) Leon Williams is only a 2 down LB. He's horrible against the pass. A HUGE reach for the top of the 3rd round.

2) Who is Jeff Webb? I had to go look him up because I didn't know his name. All I can say is NO F'in way. At least not in the 3rd round.

3) Why would the Pats draft a QB in the 4th round? Makes absolutely NO SENSE. And they aren't going to reach for a guy like McNeal in the 4th round.

4) Eric Henderson and Rob Ninkovich? Why back to back DEs? Ninkovich, imho, is too slow to be an effective OLB in the Pats system. I believe that Henderson is too short to be an effective OLB in the Pats system. If you look at their OLBs, they like them to be 6-3 and up. The only "shorty" is TBC and he's over 6'2. Horrid picks.

5) I don't care for the Deangelo Williams pick. Not good value.

6) Whomever did this draft didn't bother to familiarize themselves with the Pats roster. With 6 CBs on the roster with 5 of them being starters previously, I doubt that Jennings is going to be able to crack the lineup.

You take either Lawson or Carpenter at 21.
In the 2nd, its more likely that the Pats take Addai than Jennings imho.
In the 3rd, Daryn Colledge is a better pick with the early pick than Williams. Daryl Tapp and Jon Alston (moved to SS) are also better picks
With the Later 3rd rd pick, Mike Hass, Jason Avant or Brandon Williams.
in the 4th round, Bernard Pollard, Marcus Maxey, Fred Matua, TOny Scheffler, Tim McGarigle. All better value than than McNeal and Henderson.

Anyways. you get the gist.

DaBruinz said:
This is a very lousy draft

Amen.

To realize just how awful those picks were, here's another scenario with the same board:

1 Manny Lawson OLB
2 Joseph Addai RB
3a Daryn Colledge OL
3b Mike Hass WR
4a Marcus Maxey CB
4b Tim McGarigle ILB
5 Montavious Stanley DT
6a Bruce Gradkowski QB
6b Brandon Marshall WR
6c Jeremy Bloom KR/WR
7 Placekicker of your choice

[edit] whoops, forgot a tight end! but you get the point.

Last edited:
Using that board, my picks would be:

21 Bobby Carpenter,LB
52 Joseph Addai,RB
75 Baskett,WR
86 Manning CB
106 Kia Parnham,LB
118 Tim Day TE
136 Eslinger, C
191 Sir Henry Anderson,DT
205Whimper OT/G
206 Marshall, Wr
229 Huston K

Not the draft that I would want but still a stong one that we can live with.

Last edited:
Webb has some fairly big time character issues that would probably keep him from ever making the Pats board.
Interesting that you have left McNeal at QB when others see him as a WR.

DaBruinz said:
This is a very lousy draft and whomever did it should just stop doing mock drafts all together.

1) Leon Williams is only a 2 down LB. He's horrible against the pass. A HUGE reach for the top of the 3rd round.

2) Who is Jeff Webb? I had to go look him up because I didn't know his name. All I can say is NO F'in way. At least not in the 3rd round.

3) Why would the Pats draft a QB in the 4th round? Makes absolutely NO SENSE. And they aren't going to reach for a guy like McNeal in the 4th round.

4) Eric Henderson and Rob Ninkovich? Why back to back DEs? Ninkovich, imho, is too slow to be an effective OLB in the Pats system. I believe that Henderson is too short to be an effective OLB in the Pats system. If you look at their OLBs, they like them to be 6-3 and up. The only "shorty" is TBC and he's over 6'2. Horrid picks.

5) I don't care for the Deangelo Williams pick. Not good value.

6) Whomever did this draft didn't bother to familiarize themselves with the Pats roster. With 6 CBs on the roster with 5 of them being starters previously, I doubt that Jennings is going to be able to crack the lineup.

You take either Lawson or Carpenter at 21.
In the 2nd, its more likely that the Pats take Addai than Jennings imho.
In the 3rd, Daryn Colledge is a better pick with the early pick than Williams. Daryl Tapp and Jon Alston (moved to SS) are also better picks
With the Later 3rd rd pick, Mike Hass, Jason Avant or Brandon Williams.
in the 4th round, Bernard Pollard, Marcus Maxey, Fred Matua, TOny Scheffler, Tim McGarigle. All better value than than McNeal and Henderson.

Anyways. you get the gist.

You realize that it's near impossible to do a 7 round mock draft keeping the needs and draft profiles of all teams in mind. That's why these sites shouldn't even bother to do that and we shouldn't even waste our time reading them. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 1 or 2 round mock and then just randmoly match up the teams and players based on rankings. Or better yet have a computer program that does it.

Can someone please explain to me why Deangelo Williams is such a poor pick at 21?

There certainly are valid questions surrounding Williams, but even with a healthy Corey Dillon, it seems pretty obvious to me that Williams is easily a better pick than any of the LB's/tweeners on the board in terms of short-term impact and is probably most likely to provide the greatest long-term return. Not to mention, drafting a rb like Williams should shore up the running game, goal line and red zone packages on offense, and help keep tom brady upright.

Seems to me that that is an awful lot to give up when you can just move Vrabel back outside and pick up a run-stopping ilb either through the draft or free agency

phantom73 said:
Can someone please explain to me why Deangelo Williams is such a poor pick at 21?

There certainly are valid questions surrounding Williams, but even with a healthy Corey Dillon, it seems pretty obvious to me that Williams is easily a better pick than any of the LB's/tweeners on the board in terms of short-term impact and is probably most likely to provide the greatest long-term return. Not to mention, drafting a rb like Williams should shore up the running game, goal line and red zone packages on offense, and help keep tom brady upright.

Seems to me that that is an awful lot to give up when you can just move Vrabel back outside and pick up a run-stopping ilb either through the draft or free agency

My personal opinion on this - ask the Colts who they would rather keep, Edge or Freeney. Pass rushers are probably the most influential players on the field besides QBs. So if you have a chance to get one, you do it. The other thing about RBs is that you can only use 1 at a time. Could the Pats use more depth? Sure. Are they in dire needs at the position? Not at all. If Williams is clearly the best player on the board when the Pats pick, they should take him. But if there's a WR, LB or even DB with a similar grade, I say pass on the RB.

phantom73 said:

In part it's a reaction to last year, when the Pats did just what you suggest and picked up a run-stopping ilb through free agency. And then had to move Vrabel inside because it wasn't working. ILB is a very hard position to learn in the Pats' defense, and this draft has the best crop of LBs to come along in some time.

That being said, it's always dangerous to fight the last war -- Beisel and Claridge might be just fine inside this year. And yes, a legitimate alternative at RB would be a big plus. I just don't like the value of any offensive position at #21 this year.

phantom73 said:

Its about Value. RBs have an average football career of 3 years I believe. Yes, its less than the average of the rest of the players in football.

Also, Williams has a ton of carries on him. Plus, the level of talent he ran against, wasn't exactly top notch.

The problem is that if you draft for short term impact, you are sure to suffer in the long term.

phantom73 said:

The reason is because we still have Dillon on the roster, and we dont have TJ, McGinest, Phifer, Brown or Chatham... Beisel is the only replacement and TBC is not starting material.

This team is build on D, and the D is built around the play of the front 7. It was immediately clear what the loss of TJ and Phifer (and Bruschi) meant to the team. We are paper thin at LB.

Adding a RB to backup Dillon is a nice luxury. Dont worry: there will be RBs in the draft next year too.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Also, Williams has a ton of carries on him. Plus, the level of talent he ran against, wasn't exactly top notch.
A TON is right. Plus he's a shrimp and has a scattered past in terms of being comitted to football. I don't want him in the first round.

DaBruinz said:

Ted Johnson was taken at the top of the second round, and he turned out OK. Not defending the draft, or Williams, who isn't on my board, but if a LB is a very good 1st and 2nd down plus short yardage linebacker, he's WELL WORTH a third rounder. He's well worth a second rounder. We don't need to get what the baseball guys call "five tool players" with all our draft picks, just guys who can contribute to the success of the football team. Outside of the first half of the first round, you're going to find very few players who can do everything well.

dryheat44 said:
Ted Johnson was taken at the top of the second round, and he turned out OK. Not defending the draft, or Williams, who isn't on my board, but if a LB is a very good 1st and 2nd down plus short yardage linebacker, he's WELL WORTH a third rounder. He's well worth a second rounder. We don't need to get what the baseball guys call "five tool players" with all our draft picks, just guys who can contribute to the success of the football team. Outside of the first half of the first round, you're going to find very few players who can do everything well.
As I posted in my "Gut Feeling" thread, getting the next Ted Johnson would go a long way to fixing the LB hole as he could team with Bruschi on run downs and on pass downs move Vrabel inside and put TBC in his outside rush spot.

phantom73 said:

Getting Williams at 21 would probably end up being the steal of the draft decade! The kid is a stud football player who has proven he can do it all. He could step in right away and be a pro bowl caliber player for us if need be. I don't see any other player penciled in at 21 who anyone can say the same of.

Mine ended up radically different

PATSNUTme said:
Using that board, my picks would be:

21 Bobby Carpenter,LB
52 Joseph Addai,RB
75 Baskett,WR
86 Manning CB
106 Kia Parnham,LB
118 Tim Day TE
136 Eslinger, C
191 Sir Henry Anderson,DT
205Whimper OT/G
206 Marshall, Wr
229 Huston K

Using this board, mine is quite a bit different from every mock I've seen, including my own. Using the handy UH big board, the draft would go like this:

#21 two 1st round OLBs on board, 2 1st round WRs, two 1st round RBs, TE, Mangold, Cromartie, Simpson. There's good depth in the 2-4 rounds with RBs, CBs, OLBs, and WRs. Mangold is probably the safest pick. Simpson would be a great pick, but it's not one of particular need. Ditto Pope. Hali is the top rated guy on my board who's here. I would definitely trade down in this scenario, but a good pick would be Cromartie, since a run on CBs could well happen before we pick again. However, between Koppen's being on the last year of his contract, and coming of significant injury, I'll go the surprising route and take Nick Mangold. He'll look good in Foxboro for the next five years.

#52 Tough call. Guys I have graded here are Addai, Hass, Klopfenstein, Colledge, Lutui, Harris, Hodge, K. Jennings, Griffen, and Bing. Especially tempting are Addai, who if we pass on, we may need to trade up to get Norwood, Hass, Klopfenstein, and Hodge, who I think could be the next Vilma. All things being equal, I'd opt for Hass, but he has the best chance of falling to our next pick. I think I'll roll the dice with Abdul Hodge. OLB is less a priority now, since Vrabel will hopefully be able to go OLB on first and second downs.

#75 Mike Hass, No brainer.

#86 Jerious Norwood, slightly more of a brainer, but not much.

#106 Third rounders on the big board are QB Jacobs, WRs Avant and Jennings, TE Schefler, OT Toledo, G Matua, Cs Cook and Eslinger, DE Cofield, LB Dobbins, CBs T Jennings and Pittman, and S Harper. There are many 4th rounders too, most notably SS Iwuh. I think it comes down to if we want to draft two WRs in the first five picks, take the DE as Seymour insurance, or add to the defensive backfield. We pick again in 12 picks, so here I'll take Barry Cofield

#118 We pick again in 18, so hopefully we can get two of the guys who have fallen thus far. I'm going WR again with Greg Jennings

#136 David Pittman

#191 So what's left on our shopping list? TE (Owen Daniels)? OLB (John Chick?) A scat back (Jerome Harrison)? I still have CB Tim Jennings with a third round grade. Iwuh would be a good pick. Dobbins is still here. With two more picks in this round, I hope to get three of these guys. I'm going to go with the best value here, which is Tim Jennings

#205 Owen Daniels

#206 Brian Iwuh

#229 John Chick

To recap, we have:
C Mangold
LB Hodge
WR Hass
RB Norwood
DE Cofield
WR G Jennings
CB Pittman
CB T Jennings
TE Daniels
SS Iwuh
LB Chick

I'd be happy with that. Not flashy, but some great players. The bottom six of those guys are littered with ST demons, particularly the brothers Jennings in the return game, and Iwuh has the potential to be one of the NFL's top gunners.

Priority Undrafted Free Agents, try to sign as many of these as possible:

QB Eric Meyer, Eastern Washington
RB Jerome Harrison, Washington St.
RB De'Arrious Howard, Arkansas
RB Damien Rhodes, Syracuse
WR David Anderson, Colorado St
TE Troy Bieneman, Washington St
TE Quinn Sypniewski, Colorado
OT Mark LeVoir, Notre Dame
OT Michael Toudouze, TCU
OT Seppo Evwaraye, Nebraska
G Jeromey Clary, Kansas St.
C Chris McNeil, Mississippi St
C Marvin Philip, Cal
NT Gerald Anderson, Georgia
DE AJ Schnable, South Dakota
DE Roderkus Wright, Grossmont
OLB Ben Ishola, Indiana
OLB Collin Ashton USC
OLB Spencer Toone Utah
OLB Shawn Mayne, UCONN
ILB Garrett McIntyre, Fresno St.
CB Dion Byrum, Ohio
CB Markus King, Missouri
CB Khalid Naziruddin, Texas Tech
S Darrell Brooks, Arizona
S Willie Andrews, Baylor
S Cortland Finnegan, Samford
S Mario Stevenson, LSU
S Ray Washington, Fresno St.
And every kicker we can.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:

Ted Johnson was taken to be a starting MLB who would play every down. And he did until the bicep injuries he suffered.

Sorry, but I don't see Williams as a fit AT ALL. PERIOD. Meaning, I don't believe he's what the Patriots need at ILB. And, the knocks on Williams is that he is a liability in pass protection. You should know by now that the Patriots want versatility in their LBs. They don't want to be having to sub every other play because they don't want to telegraph what the defensive alignment is going to be.

Sorry, Dry, gbut I feel that Williams would be a utter WASTE of a pick for the Patriots at ANY point in the draft. So, no, he's not worth a 3rd rounder and he's sure as heck not worth a 2nd rounder.

DaBruinz said:
Sorry, Dry, gbut I feel that Williams would be a utter WASTE of a pick for the Patriots at ANY point in the draft. So, no, he's not worth a 3rd rounder and he's sure as heck not worth a 2nd rounder.

No need to apologize. As I said, Williams isn't on my draft board. I don't think he's worth drafting at all. I was speaking to the larger point, that a linebacker who can't cover isn't worth a day one selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back