PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 out of the Top 15 Right Now are DE's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killer weekend for checking out some of these guys against top competition:

9:00 (tonite) ESPN UCLA at #2 Oregon (Akeem Ayers)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - #15 Iowa vs #13 Wisconsin (Adrian Clayborn/Christian Ballard/JJ Watt)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - #4 Auburn vs #6 LSU (Nick Fairley)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - Clemson vs Georgia Tech (Da'Quan Bowers)
3:30 ABC #16 Nebraska at #14 Oklahoma State (Jared Crick)
7:00 ESPN - #8 Alabama at Tennessee (Marcel Dareus)
7:30 ESPN2 - Miami vs UNC (Allen Bailey)
8:00 ABC #1 Oklahoma at #11 Missouri (Jeremy Beal/Aldon Smith)
10:15 ESPN Washington at #18 Arizona (Brooks Reed)

Obviously you will only get 2 of the 3:30 games (being in NC I'm assuming I get the AUB/LSU and CLEM/GT games) but that is a solid lineup on national TV to see these guys perform. Of those 12 guys, it is a pretty solid bet that at least one of them will be a Patriot next year.

Akeem Ayers needs to show me more.I really like Daquan Bowers.

Killer weekend for checking out some of these guys against top competition:

9:00 (tonite) ESPN UCLA at #2 Oregon (Akeem Ayers)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - #15 Iowa vs #13 Wisconsin (Adrian Clayborn/Christian Ballard/JJ Watt)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - #4 Auburn vs #6 LSU (Nick Fairley)
3:30 ABC/ESPN - Clemson vs Georgia Tech (Da'Quan Bowers)
3:30 ABC #16 Nebraska at #14 Oklahoma State (Jared Crick)
7:00 ESPN - #8 Alabama at Tennessee (Marcel Dareus)
7:30 ESPN2 - Miami vs UNC (Allen Bailey)
8:00 ABC #1 Oklahoma at #11 Missouri (Jeremy Beal/Aldon Smith)
10:15 ESPN Washington at #18 Arizona (Brooks Reed)

Obviously you will only get 2 of the 3:30 games (being in NC I'm assuming I get the AUB/LSU and CLEM/GT games) but that is a solid lineup on national TV to see these guys perform. Of those 12 guys, it is a pretty solid bet that at least one of them will be a Patriot next year.

Don't forget about P. Peterson - LSU and P. Amakamura. If we pick 3-5, I wouldn't be shocked if take one of them.

By the end of the year I think we'll have bigger needs at OL than DE or OLB. I actually think OLB will be solidified in 2010, like Box O Rocks pointed out. I'd like to see us take the best OL availabe with our first pick. DL would be a close 2nd.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure DL will be much of a need either, since we're getting Ty back. I still think it would be prudent to draft his "replacement" in 2011 in case he doesn't return the same caliber of player next year.

For OL, remember you still have Ojinnaka, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Maneri lurking on the roster to go with Vollmer and Connolly. I don't think Belichick drafts an OL with a high 1st unless it is a LT and there is a clear opening. I don't see any of the top OT in this draft being better than Vollmer for LT or being worthy of a top 15 pick. Seems like a better draft for RT candidates, which you want to get later in the draft. So I see the 2nd round as being the place for stocking the OL.

Assuming the top juniors declare, this draft is stuffed at the top with DE, OLB and WR options. With Welker, Tate, Branch, Edelman and Price on board already for 2011, I doubt Belichick would go WR unless he sees talent that he just can't pass up. I'm betting against that.

So unless Belichick throws a curveball and drafts a RB (Ingram) or CB (Peterson/Amukamara), I'm thinking the Pats go DE/OLB with the first 2 picks.

In thinking about this, Belichick would actually have to try hard to not come up with a killing from 3 picks in the top 35.

Last edited:
Don't forget about P. Peterson - LSU and P. Amakamura. If we pick 3-5, I wouldn't be shocked if take one of them.

Unlikely. That's a lot of cash and draft picks to be expended on a single position.

If its top 5 then it wouldnt matter.Those are impact players.I doubt they would trade up if those guys are there.I would prefer Quinn ahead of those two guys but they are good to pass up.

We have a legit shot at picking up both an impact defensive tackle/defensive end and an impact defensive end/outside linebacker.

Fairley

I don't know if he'll come out but I've been watching the Auburn/LSU game and this kid has been very impressive. At 6'5 298 (listed as at least) he looks like he could put on 12 pounds and be the prototype.

I don't know if he'll come out but I've been watching the Auburn/LSU game and this kid has been very impressive. At 6'5 298 (listed as at least) he looks like he could put on 12 pounds and be the prototype.

Yeah, he took a while to warm up, but once he gets going, he simply has too much speed and power to block one on one very long. This is the second week in a row he's knocked a quarterback out of the game. He does a pretty good job against the run, too, although this is definitely not his best game.

I'm absolutely positive he's over 310. Guy is massive.

None of the other tackles or ends I'm watching this weekend are impressing me very much, though. I remain firmly on the Fairley bandwagon.

Dont forget Dareus from bama as well.I like him as well.

Adrian Clayborn of Iowa DE (6'4 285) was having a monster game against Wisconsin until he got chop blocked and had to leave the game. While he was engaged with blocker the Wisconsin fullback hit him from the back below the knee. Hopefully he's not too badly hurt...
He had one tackle where he took both the blocker and the running back down ala Adalius against Brett Favre...

Update; Clayborn is back in and the FB went for his knees again and hit him when his back was turned...What a low class and potentially dangerous move.

Adrian Clayborn of Iowa DE (6'4 285) was having a monster game against Wisconsin until he got chop blocked and had to leave the game. While he was engaged with blocker the Wisconsin fullback hit him from the back below the knee. Hopefully he's not too badly hurt...
He had one tackle where he took both the blocker and the running back down ala Adalius against Brett Favre...

Update; Clayborn is back in and the FB went for his knees again and hit him when his back was turned...What a low class and potentially dangerous move.

I hate Bieliema with a passion. He's a doucebag. When the NCAA put that rule in a couple of years ago that started clock when kicker kicked ball. There were about 10 seconds left against PSU in the first half. He had his gunners run about 10 yards ahead of the kicker. The clock started when the ball was kicked. Cleaned our guys clock as they're trying to catch the ball. Did it 2 times. If I was coaching against him. I'd have had our toughest player run up to their kicker and just punch him in the mouth. Very dangerous. NCAA went back to old rule. I still can't stand him.

I am watching Clemson vs GA tech and Bowers finally got a sack.He's been putting pressure though on the QB.Bowers and Quinn are Julius Peppers type of DEs.Wouldnt mind having one of those.:D

Dont forget Dareus from bama as well.I like him as well.

I think Dareus goes before the Patriots pick. He's ridiculously athletic for a man that big. He had his ankle taped up last week because of a sprain, but he was still dropping back into coverage on occasion. Remember, this is a #310 defensive tackle, not a DE/OLB hybrid. Really incredible fluidity. He's such a good pass-rusher, and holds up against the run, too. The downside, though, for a two-gap 34 end is his height; he's only 6'3, and I'm not sure that's what we'd look for that early in the draft. Great player, but I think his best position at the next level is 3-tech. Should be a perennial pro bowler.

One guy i am not a fan of is Cameron Heyward.I hope we stay away from him.He plays too soft.

I am watching Clemson vs GA tech and Bowers finally got a sack.He's been putting pressure though on the QB.Bowers and Quinn are Julius Peppers type of DEs.Wouldnt mind having one of those.:D

I've watched some of the game too. This is a good game to evaluate his discipline and assignment task. Against an option team you're not going to get too many chances to pressure the qb. Ga Tech doing everything they can to run away from him. He looks very athletic for his size.

What an awesome day from Patriots draft binkies. Fairley and Bowers play well, and then Aldon Smith comes back from a broken leg to force an incomplete 3rd down pass, and then intercept a pass in the red zone and run it back to the opposite 30 yardline. Awesome stuff. This is our draft to shore up the front seven. I'm excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back