PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7/27 - practus interuptus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thanks Joker. I've never consider Eastern medicine, but like you said "what the hell..."

Glad to hear that you're doing better. Maybe I'll ease into it with some supplements and green tea, etc.

Yeah, thanks Joker. I've never consider Eastern medicine, but like you said "what the hell..."

Glad to hear that you're doing better. Maybe I'll ease into it with some supplements and green tea, etc.

Tea is a great addition to the diet. Different types can either make you relaxed for the evening or energized in the morning. Great with some honey mixed in.

I try to have oats and good carbs before I go to work (I work evenings) and have fish (Tilapia, Slamon and catfish mainly) for dinner with some chicken and turkey nights thrown in. I rarely eat red meat and dislike pork.

I cook with olive oil, use sweeter seasonings like tarragon instead of things with high butter and salt mixed in them. You can switch up different types of veggies to use as sides.

I'm 5'8. Two weeks ago I was 210 pounds. I am one of the lucky ones that can have a high body fat %, but not really show it, so I lost motivation to keep in shape.

I had lost my way for a few years, eating out, ordering pizza. Chips. Beer. Buffets. And the most worthless (but yummy) concoction in the world, soda. I ate terribly and often. I got sick of not fitting into my pant wastes anymore, so I have gone back to my old diet.

I am now down to 197 pounds. 13 pounds in two weeks. That's how terribly I was treating my body. Feeling tired all the time. Back and neck always sore. Knees creaking and popping. Headaches. All that is gone.

Oh, and don't forget water. Drink that ****. So many people refuse to drink water.

Seems there's been some sort of misunderstanding about my post to PWP. My remark about "I'm on a diet" is not actually true. I've CHANGED my diet. The change is permanent. The doctor I'm seeing that is helping me is a doctor of EASTERN medicine. Eastern medicine treats CAUSES not symptoms.

MY regular doctor is whole heartedly on board with this lifestyle change. He has been treating me since I first stroked out almost 15 years ago. He told me that my circulation to my extremities would never be back to what it was and the dead skin on my toes and soles would have to be periodically trimmed. He is stunned by the transformation that corn silk tea seems to have implemented, and he's had me come in for tests three times in the past 4 weeks. My HDL is 69 and my LDL 101. He is stunned by these figures as my readings the past ten years more or less read like those of a man who is overweight with a poor dietary habits. My toes are pink skin now. Feeling that has been gone for a decade has returned. My BP is 110/65-75 depending now. Contrast that with 140/100 the past ten years and you can see why I'm taking this route.

The Chinese believe treating the CAUSE of illness is the proper method to eliminating health problems. The doctor employs the spleen/liver/kidney method to get one's body back into equilibrium. They believe the cause of most western ailments are directly attributable to a blocked spleen. Using diet change, acupressure and acupuncture, the eastern doctor works first to unblock the spleen after which the liver function increases. This enables the liver to properly filter the toxins the body builds up and this in turn is eliminated by the kidneys. The eastern doctor recommends green tea in copious amounts to aid in the total process.

I am 6'3" and a shade over 280 right now. I have been 300 since I recovered post stroke. Until that point I was 185 in HS ,210 and playing B Ball as a freshman in college and 225 when I graduated. I stayed 225 until I was 40 and then, due to typical ****headedness and the notion that I was indestructible, allowed alcohol consumption, late nights,and fast food consumption to bring me up to 240. When I needed to lose a few pounds I always just hit the court and played full court a couple of hours. The stroke changed all that.

Forced inactivity followed by decreased lung function led to weight increase but my metabolism was still fairly rapid. I vacillated between 265/275 until I hit my mid fifties and then....BAM...somebody shut metabolic treadmill off. I tried the diets. They never work for long. Weight comes back and then some. I can see how many people get frustrated and just give up. My doctor tried addressing this problem with various suggestions but, as with the skin on my toes, he basically told me I'd have to live with it. My older brother, by nine years, at this point told me repeatedly to see HIS Chinese doctor in Boston, which I put off for the last two years...but after witnessing the dramatic change in my brother's health and seeing him cut his daily meds from 20 down to 4, I said to myself "what the hell can it hurt?"

This doctor I see once every two weeks can't speak English very well. He hooks me up to electrodes on my legs and asks "you feel pain?"..when I reply yes he says "good!!". He's a torturer. Acupressure is NOT a friggin back rub BTW.Hurts like hell...but the next day you fell like 10 million bucks. It's really astounding. He also gives me paper bags filled with Chinese herbs and bark , I have no idea what all the little seeds are or the tree bark, krist it's alien...but he instructs me to eat a soup made with these ingredients once a day, using chicken or fish to make it palatable. Whatever the hell it is it's working. I lose a pound a week now after the initial drop and I feel 100% better breathing, walking and flexibility.

I asked him about eating rice,or wheat bread or whole grain pasta...he was quite firm..polite and smiling but firm..."No! you no eat any that. Now you eat what I tell you". I don't argue with him. MY doctor wants to see him now after seeing the progress I've made getting back to a healthier circulatory system. If anyone is interested in learning more about the Eastern practice of medicine, here is a very good primer....

http://www.sacredlotus.com/theory/zangfu/relationships.cfm

I went to a Pats game with Tunes last season. We walked a few miles to the stadium. I barely made it. Huffing, short of breath, fatigued. Not good. We'll be taking in a game or two this season and I'm ready to hump five miles if I have to. I owe it all to Doctor Li.

I hate to be that guy but there's nothing Eastern about your doctor. The herbs and stuff is 99% woo but everything else you described is a proper western approach to medicine. Throwing pills at patients and treating symptoms isn't Western medicine, it's just bad medicine.

Don't go too far into this eastern medicine rabbit hole - you've found a good doctor not proof 'eastern herbal alternative medicine' is anything but woo.

Last edited:
Just to add some more info, coffee is actually good for you. It's what you put in it that makes it bad. Just don't overdue it of course because too much caffeine isn't good either. Moderation guys

[QUOreallyR4, post: 3861659, member: 2110"]Losing weight is a complicated affair. What works for one person wont for another.
If you are interested in learning about why so many people struggle with weight issues
I recommend two books ( on amazon.com)

1. The Metabolic Storm (not a diet but some detailed information on metabolism)
and
2. The Insulin Resistance Diet[/QUOTE]
It's really not that complicated. Remove the shovel aimed at your face.

IMHO Wilson was drafted to be not only a SS, but a Joker SS/LB hybrid. As such his experience as a force CB, would stand him in good stead in short coverage.

It did not surprise me that he had problems covering deep as a centerfield FS is expected to do. That was NOT in his talent profile.

But back then the Pats had no Safeties to speak of, and played Left and Right Safeties while they experimented. Eventually McCourty was moved from CB to play mostly centerfield FS. By then Tavon was in the doghouse for his repeated failures at deep centerfield coverage.

When the Pats imported a pair of Man-to-man CBs, and commensurately decided to play more Cover 1, single deep S, (i.e McCourty, Ryan/Jamea), the need for a SS with little deep talent re-appeared. Hence the resurrection of both Tavon Wilson and Patrick Chung, who are relatively able close to the line, and not very good in deep coverage.

That is the genius of good coaching. You adopt the strategy to fit the talents of the players that you have. Kudos to Bill, Matt and the rest of his coaching staff.

Seriously you are saying Chung and Tavon Wilson are good at something???:rolleyes:

* Mallett complete to Boyce deep down the sideline. Great ball from Mallett. Boyce beat Browner straight down the sideline and Chung was late in giving help.

Thats the Chung we have all come to know.

I'll believe the hype on Tavon Wilson when I see him actually do it on the field in a game situation. He's looked competent in each TC but in the time he's found his way on the field, he's made one mental error after another. They may just be giving him increased reps to see if there's any piece of him that can be salvaged at this point, or they may be giving them to him because he seems as if he's finally "gotten it". But this certainly wouldn't be the first time a guy perceived to be on the bubble has gotten a lot of first team reps only to be cut right before the season starts.

I'll believe the hype on Tavon Wilson when I see him actually do it on the field in a game situation. He's looked competent in each TC but in the time he's found his way on the field, he's made one mental error after another. They may just be giving him increased reps to see if there's any piece of him that can be salvaged at this point, or they may be giving them to him because he seems as if he's finally "gotten it". But this certainly wouldn't be the first time a guy perceived to be on the bubble has gotten a lot of first team reps only to be cut right before the season starts.

This.

So very much this.

Stop eating fruit if you want to lose weight.

Eat eggs or greens and lean meats every meal, never drink beer (most other booze is OK) or eat bread, and strictly watch the carbs and sodium and it will be almost impossible to not drop some quick weight.

I hate to be that guy but there's nothing Eastern about your doctor. The herbs and stuff is 99% woo but everything else you described is a proper western approach to medicine. Throwing pills at patients and treating causes isn't Western medicine, it's just bad medicine.

Don't go too far into this eastern medicine rabbit hole - you've found a good doctor not proof 'eastern herbal alternative medicine' is anything but woo.

If you don't know what specific pills he's being given how can you make any kind of judgment?

Also, why is treating the root cause a bad idea instead of a symptom?

If you don't know what specific pills he's being given how can you make any kind of judgment?

Also, why is treating the root cause a bad idea instead of a symptom?

Whoops, I meant to say treating "symptoms". In a weight loss/high cholesterol scenario like he told us there aren't many pills one can give. Not a huge variety.

I can make a judgement because telling a patient their symptoms are due to a blocked spleen (if it's blocked you likely have a serious condition like leukemia and will be dying soon) and giving them Chinese herbs and barks is total bull.

Look, the doc is doing everything else right (excellent diet recommendations especially) but don't kid yourself into thinking it's the herbs and unblocking the spleen that is solving a problem. I just don't want him going full 'Eastern medicine' when a serious illness occurs and wasting precious time with herbs and other crazy remedies when real allopathic medicine is the only hope (See Jobs, Steve).

Last edited:
Why is this a weight loss thread? If you want to lose weight, cardio your ass off at the gym (the big 3: treadmill for at least 2 miles, bike at least 15 minutes, elliptical at least 15 minutes) and eat a lot of salad every single day without things like bacon bits, cheese, and ranch dressing. Do that and your ass will drop weight before you know it.

EDIT: Playing sports helps the most. Start playing pick up games of basketball after work and you'll see more immediate results.

[QUOreallyR4, post: 3861659, member: 2110"]Losing weight is a complicated affair. What works for one person wont for another.
If you are interested in learning about why so many people struggle with weight issues
I recommend two books ( on amazon.com)

1. The Metabolic Storm (not a diet but some detailed information on metabolism)
and
2. The Insulin Resistance Diet
It's really not that complicated. Remove the shovel aimed at your face.[/QUOTE]

Your response indicates you are a believer of the misleading media promoted concept that
to lose weight balance the equation "calories in = calories out"

The metabolic process involves many many stimulated and feed back hormone production.
A disruption inany part of this process can cause weight gain.
Such as the case of a marathon runner who had a very healthy diet and course had plenty of exercise
but still gained weight. It is a complicated process.

I can make a judgement because telling a patient their symptoms are due to a blocked spleen (if it's blocked you likely have a serious condition like leukemia and will be dying soon) and giving them Chinese herbs and barks is total bull.

Look, the doc is doing everything else right (excellent diet recommendations especially) but don't kid yourself into thinking it's the herbs and unblocking the spleen that is solving a problem. I just don't want him going full 'Eastern medicine' when a serious illness occurs and wasting precious time with herbs and other crazy remedies when real allopathic medicine is the only hope (See Jobs, Steve).

Yet again, how do you know what's going on if you haven't examined the patient? Also, how do you know what those pills do?

You're calling it BS with nothing to back it up. Also, you do know most medicines come from some type of plant or herb, so why is it radical quackery to give someone herbs instead of pharmaceuticals?

Tea is a great addition to the diet. Different types can either make you relaxed for the evening or energized in the morning. Great with some honey mixed in.

Oh, and don't forget water. Drink that ****. So many people refuse to drink water.

Not drinking enough water is my problem. Wife all over me about this. Problem is that I already spend half my day pissing. When the hospital robot gutted me like a fish to remove my prostrate (sic) the nurses removing the full bags of you-know-what said I had the most voluminous kidney functions they'd ever seen. A wicked pisser.

Yet again, how do you know what's going on if you haven't examined the patient? Also, how do you know what those pills do?

You're calling it BS with nothing to back it up. Also, you do know most medicines come from some type of plant or herb, so why is it radical quackery to give someone herbs instead of pharmaceuticals?

I'm a medical student. There is never a reason a 'blocked spleen' will cause anything like his symptoms. A 'blocked spleen' (doesn't exist, but let's say the Eastern docs English was bad and he meant enlarged spleen) indicates an infection and at worse a page maybe to the Heme/Onc doc.

If a real medicine was derived from the herb it was because the actual herb was too weak to make a difference without concentration. If the actual herb worked fine and was actually cheaper we would use that. The insurance company certainly would love to save the cash.

There is only one known natural statin (cholesterol lowering medication) but it's pretty distinctive and he did not mention it. It's certainly not found in bark though.

Last edited:
It's really not that complicated. Remove the shovel aimed at your face.

Your response indicates you are a believer of the misleading media promoted concept that
to lose weight balance the equation "calories in = calories out"

The metabolic process involves many many stimulated and feed back hormone production.
A disruption inany part of this process can cause weight gain.
Such as the case of a marathon runner who had a very healthy diet and course had plenty of exercise
but still gained weight. It is a complicated process.[/QUOTE]

It is still calories in/calories out. The point you are making though is that people have different levels of metabolism so calories out vary from person to person, and you and I could eat the same diet and do the same exercise and have different weight results.
But aren't we really just talking about people who are overweight dropping some pounds?
There is no arguing that eating healthier and eating the right foods is clearly the way to do it.
My doctor tells patients to ignore the impact of exercise on losing weight because he has seen too many people eat poorly under the excuse that they work it off at the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots