Welcome to PatsFans.com

68% of American Voters Do not Want Roe V. Wade overturned..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 20, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

This is a followup to the previous thread, maybe folks cannot associate Roe V. Wade with the pro-choice.. abortion thing.. very strange..

This follows a thread by RW about this poll from Gallup..

Pollster.com: US: National Survey (CNN-5/14-15)

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

They should do a poll about how many favor no restrictions on abortion, oh wait that doesn't fit the script. As you can see from the poll you cite the majority doesn't want a total ban, however the polls show that restrictions after the first trimester are favored.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Yet there were no restrictions on the initial poll... now you want it on this one.. the results are confusing and conflictual.. the most recent are big numbers.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Actually, I read it to mean that had it not been a black/white question, it may not have had such a lopsided result. Abortion for most people (particularly in the middle), is not a black/white issue.

I'm actually a perfect example. I believe in the sanctity of life and personally oppose abortion as a wholesale solution to unwanted pregnancy, but I do understand that, in some circumstances it is appropriate and preferable then carrying a baby to term. I AM STRONGLY opposed to very late term and partial birth abortions and consider those that perform them on par with murderers.

I would describe myself to anyone that asked as "pro-life", and would generally not offer the caveat of my pragmatic stances on some abortions. In the poll above, I'd say NO, I don't favor an overturning of Rv.W for those reasons.

So looking at the wording of the question.

The bolded text makes it an absolute, which it is anything but an absolute topic. Many people like me, who would love to see some restrictions on the abortion, would be opposed to an outright ban on them.

I don't think the result of this poll is strange at all.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'd be willing to bet that around 68% also oppose gay marriage legislation
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I'd bet the same thing, but I'd also bet there would be a similar effect as the one I describe above. Again, for me it's in the middle.

I believe marriage is a fundamentally religious and traditional institution and do not think that government should mandate it against the will of the people. At the same time, I am very much in favor of extending the same legal rights and civil privileges to same-sex couple that are afforded to traditional male/female partnerships.

So, it would not surprise me in the least if a poll that said "Do you think marriage should be defined as a union between a man/woman" to reach levels in the mid-60's of higher. It also would not surprise me to see similar numbers for a poll that read to the effect "Do you think that same-sex partnerships should be afforded that same benefits and legal privileges as traditional opposite sex couples"

You just can apply a black/white question to a very complex and "gray" subject and expect consistent results.
  7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

my point was a little more simple.........why do libbies get to decide when the 'majority rules' approach is applicable??? to them, it is applicable for roe v wade, but not applicable for gay marriage.........it is either a valid means to dictate issues or it isn't.......not just when it works for you
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

That's true too. You make a good point. I just explained the possible reasoning to the poll and how the same apparent disparity would be seen in those 2 topics. One of my objections to the marriage debate is stated in my reply. In many states, the overwhelming majority indicates that they do not want the "sanctity of marriage" effected by the same-sex equality debate.

put it to the vote of the people (like California did) and if the people vote yay, then change it, however, if they vote no, then stop crying and calling everyone homophobes and prejudice, and just find another way to address the inequality inherent in same-sex/traditional sex unions, which I bet would meet with a more understanding and willing populous.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

I'm not at all surprised by this, since I said in my post that this type of question would fair differently. Still, I think the numbers would vary, if different types of questions were asked. Personally, I'd like to see the state's decide on abortion. If South Dakota's citizens think it should not be allowed, then so be it. If Massachusetts citizens do, then so be it.
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Woman hater! Misogynist! REPUBLICAN!!!
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

Woman hater? Now THAT is a low blow my friend. I love women every time I undress them. I love them even more when they're walking out the door. :D