Welcome to PatsFans.com

$68 Million Taxpayer Money Jesus Christ

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +532 / 2 / -9

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Eh, the justification seems weakish, wouldn't weep if it were defunded. Defunding it would put 20 cents extra, for one year, into the average American's pocket.

As for destoying the union over it: I don't know that twenty cents is the price at which I sell my country down the river, but you and I are different that way, Harry. I consider my country to be of inestimible worth. You consider it to be worth some figure south of 20 cents.

PFnV
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I don't like dismissing unjustified govt spending on the basis of it being relatively a relatively small amount. (That said, I do have a problem with people who get upset over the objectionable small sums while ignoring the objectionable large sums just because of partisan leanings.)

I do hope that Republicans opposing this also oppose government funding for similar boondoggles honoring the likes of, say, their exalted leader Reagan.
  4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Look Chico, living in the DC area, I'm pretty sure some GOP-sponsored law over the last 30 years has actually renamed my penis Ronald Reagan...

But as to your issue with ignoring relatively small sums, I think a demonstrably bigger issue is the obsession with relatively small sums and the elevation of said relatively small sums to the status of "the problem in Washington."

That's bullsh1t. We have systemic problems that need real life solutions, and the big news is that the solutions can't be "Wahhh the other guy's spending is pork."

The problem - and the solution - isn't the waste of 168 m bucks, though I wouldn't care if they DID defund the damn thing.

It's also not this study of a bear or that study of a bee.

The problem is that you can't keep giving stuff to people and never taxing them, which in broad strokes is what we have in the U.S. Even the people pretending to be fiscal conservatives add the coda "but I earned my social security/medicare, so don't even THINK of cutting from the MAJORITY of those obligations..."

And again, as to what you believe is worth selling out your American patriotism for, I do believe Harry's picked a singularly unworthy reason to turn traitor.

PFnV
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I agree with all of that.
  6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Whoops, my mistake. I typed "168 m" and meant "68 m". I suppose were the 168 correct, this project would be worth between 2 and 3 civil wars.

PFnV
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -26

If there any fools who want this memorial, they should pay for it.. all memorials to specific person, should be done son by private funds, not public.

The Kopechne's have endured enough without their .20 going to this fund.
  8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

... and yet, conspicuously, have remained silent on destroying the United States over it.

Like I said, Darryl, don't much care whether they de-fund this or not. The stated purpose is actually information on the U.S. Senate, rather than "shrine." It has Ted Kennedy's name on it, and that's why all the girls are crying.

I'm sure Jane Wyman's family is offended by the last 30 years of Reagan-namings... and every time Congress met to name something Ronald Reagan this or Ronald Reagan that, we all paid for the time they took to name it, the new signage, etc. etc. etc. Every metro map in Washington, Maryland, and Virginia needed to be re-done to stick the old codgers name on National Airport.

Cry me a freakin river.

PFnV
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -26

Do not disagree, shrines should be built 20 years after a person's death, to make sure that that person has stood the test of time.. and is still considered to deserve public adulation, and when done so it should be paid for by private concerns, not the Tax Payer.