Welcome to PatsFans.com

64K in income and still qualify for free health insurance under Obamacare

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I guess Speaker Pelosi was right. You have to pass the legislation to find out what's in it....

AP NewsBreak: A twist in Obama's health care law - Yahoo! News

<<<<<WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's health care law would let several million middle-class people get nearly free insurance meant for the poor, a twist government number crunchers say they discovered only after the complex bill was signed.

The change would affect early retirees: A married couple could have an annual income of about $64,000 and still get Medicaid, said officials who make long-range cost estimates for the Health and Human Services department.
    The Medicare actuary's office roughed out some examples to illustrate how the provision would work. A married couple retiring at 62 in 2014 and receiving the maximum Social Security benefit of $23,500 apiece could get $17,000 from other sources and still qualify for Medicaid with a total income of $64,000. <<<<<<<<<<
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -4

Is a couple making $64k per year really middle class anymore?

I wouldn't think that income level would require free health insurance from the government, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were to be subsidized.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Everythings relative I guess. $64k where, and under what circumstances? In some parts it's not much, in others it's good coin. Also, is that $64k taxed, in pocket. Some "income" isn't taxable. I'm not a CPA but I don't believe SS is taxable, nor are some IRA's. The devil is always in the details. Generally speaking, your average couple making $64k wouldn't be too well off. Not here in Massachusetts that's for sure.

One thing this points out, which some of us have been saying from day 1, is that this bill is going to cost a lot more than they're saying.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

people shouldn't have to worry about getting sick. Its a 100% guarentee that you'll need a doctor at some point.

medicare for all!
    30% savings off the top.
    cover the youngest and most cost effective people.
    re-employ all healthcare workers as fraud investigators
    put those who have profited off denial of coverage in jail.

bring back manufacturing, don't tax anything that is "Made in the USA"

focus on educating our youth, and protecting our citizens.

(i'm off my soapbox)
  5. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is the difference - to make ObamaCare work a % of people will have to always croak to make the numbers jive.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Harry Likes This
    See this is why I don't think your a Loon, what you suggest is a good plan for the people, thats why we will never see it.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

HD breathes a sigh of relief :cool: ... he is not a loon. :p
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I'm all for this as long as we don't 30% of Americans paying for 70% of the population to benefit from these programs.
  9. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -10

to someone whose children are out of college, and their mortgage is paid off, it's a nice chunk of change to live off of, especially if you bothered to do some saving as you aged.

it's a pretty good ride to the sunset
  10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Is that Gross or Net?

Gross 64 is around 45k a year in take home.

That's NOTHING unless you live in the country.

That's 3750 a month in take home money.

Let's assume 150.00 a month in Electricity ( if your lucky )
    Assume a 1k mortgage a month ( modest home )
    Lets assume 2 200.00 car payments ( 400.00 )
    Let's assume a 150 a week grocery bill for a family of 4.
    Let's assume a 200 credit card(s) payment

-----------
    = 1400

1400 a month to pay for things like Medical, Gas, Entertainment like Cable and Internet, and other things.

So... I'm not seeing an issue with this.
  11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -10

if you retire with a mortgage payment, then you did not prepare for your retirement properly......

if you're retired, you don't borrow money for cars and have car payments......you pay cash....usually straight out of your retirement savings.

same goes for whatever you would buy that would cause you to have CC debt.

non-recurring expenses (capital expenditures) get paid for out of retirement savings, and living expenses (monthly bills for food, energy, property taxes) are paid for by regular income......quite simple, really
  12. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Is the 64k limit only for retired people? Sorry didn't have time to read the finer details. I believe your right if your retired, but then again most people won't be in a paid off retirement... most people will still owe on things like houses and cars even in retirement. Not to mention property taxes, and home insurance as well, even if it's paid off.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

If you're referring to a family of 4 in an expensive state like Massachusetts, you're right. But if it's a family of 4 in Alabama, you're wrong. $64k for a family of 4 in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas (among several others) is a good annual household income.

If we're discussing a retired couple (2 people), then $64k annually kicks arse mcgraw!

My parents live in Weymouth, MA and live off $32K annually since they both retired 9 years ago. Their house is paid off and they bought their car with cash. They spend 3 months in Florida and my dad plays golf 3 times/week...I'd say they're living very comfortably.

Oh, and they pay for supplemental health insurance on top of their medicare coverage.
  14. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And the vast majority of the countries population does not live in those states, they live on the Coasts, where 64k isn't very much.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Which is why income requirements should be based upon cost of living. We don't want to give those who can afford to buy their own health care insurance, free health care. I believe that's very, very important.

It would be very foolish to set the minimum HH income requirements based upon the most expensive area's to live and let those who live inexpensive areas get free health care just because....
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  16. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

This is what happens when mammoth bills are passed in the middle of the night that no one's read.

Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed?

And people making this type of money should not be recipients of government largesse.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Incredible!!! People making 64K a year are, in this instance, considered quite well off enough to afford all kinds of things - but if you talk about raising taxes on those making over $200,000 a year, suddenly those 200K people are struggling to live comfortably and barely hanging on the fringes of "middle class" and couldn't possibly be considered part of the "wealthy."
  18. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

You perhaps need to re-acquaint yourself with William Graham Sumner's brilliant summation of The Forgotten Man that Amity Shlaes used in her must-read book title on the Great Depression and the New Deal
    Remembering 'The Forgotten Man' - Reason Magazine
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Forgive me, State, for I am but a poor uneducated semi-retired female from an obscure small town in Indiana - but it's always been my observation that the more insecure a person feels the more frequently he tends to quote authors and books and to drop names of colleges, colleagues and casual acquaintances as if they mattered to anyone but himself.

Perhaps you need, not to reacquaint yourself with brilliant but long dead authors, but to actually hit the streets and meet real people. They are far more iteresting, far more educational and way far more pertinent.
  20. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

I hope you're not over-reacting.

I have been deeply influenced by Ortega y Gasset's Revolt of the Masses. The typical person on the street isn't knowledgeable about matters outside his or her immediate purview.

Haven't you seen those man-on-the-street interviews where the ignorance is on display in copious ways? There's that famous interview of a handful Harlem voters on the Howard Stern show that's hilarious.