Welcome to PatsFans.com

6 point underdogs?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patsguy05, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsguy05

Patsguy05 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Can someone explain to me how the Pats are 3-1 compared to the Chargers 2-3, both lost to Miami and yet the Pats are 6 point underdogs? Does the fact that the game is in SD make that much of a difference or do the "experts" (haha) actually believe that the chargers are that much better?
  2. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes and yes. Miami throttled the Pats, and held on to beat SD by 7 iirc.
  3. NJPatsfan26

NJPatsfan26 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Mediots from ESPN and FOX sports will more than likely be rooting against the Patriots in all the ways they can.

:eek::spygate:
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The line has no predictive or analytical value other than indicating how many people are betting on what team. That's it.

Here betters are following conventional wisdom and positing that 1) the Chargers need the win 2) it's the Patriots' second straight road game and 3) no Tom Brady. That's all the thought that's going into it and there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch over something so paltry.
  5. Patsguy05

Patsguy05 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So more of the same is what your saying?
  6. NJPatsfan26

NJPatsfan26 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Of course....More of the same. There is always going to be a hatred between them and us. Just the way it is.
  7. Patsguy05

Patsguy05 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hey thanks for the info. I am going to try now to unbunch my panties.
  8. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The chargers are at home. Playoff teams are suppose to win those. I think the Patriots will win this game. I doubt the Chargers make the playoffs.
  9. Patsguy05

Patsguy05 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

diddo!!!!!!!!
  10. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Homefield alone is generally worth 3. So they are really saying SD by 3 which absent Brady and playing week 2 on the road is not remotely a stretch. If SD weren't struggling adn damn near snake bit in their own right it would likely be SD by 10.
  11. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

iam surprised it isnt higher. they are 2 and 3 but they played the broncs and panthers too. both teams are better than the chiefs and SF. Plus they still have decent talent all around and havent played well. And they still have their QB which is a big factor.At home on national tv against a backup QB. iam not surprised its 6pt dogs for the chargers.
  12. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Very simple equation....

With Brady - Likely spread would be .... Patriots -2 1/2 over SD
    Without Brady .... Patriots +6 vs. SD

Its about what I expected
  13. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What do you mean they haven't played well?

If it were not for a jump ball catch by a Panther in the end zone and a bogus referee call against Denver the Chargers would be 4-1 right now

If they could have scored on that goaline against Miami last week they could have tied the score in that game and went on to win and would have been undefeated - IF IF IF all those things happened which did not.

The Chargers may be the most unlucky but best 2-3 team ever but luck has not been on their side

Don't let 2-3 fool you,they could have easily have been 5-0 if a few things went the right way for them - They are a very good team with a lot of bad luck and we will see if Bad Luck is going to stay sunday night or will they finally break out and destroy thier prey like a bear in the woods like I am afraid they might on prime time.
  14. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

well iam agree they have been unlucky but defensively they haven played as well especially in the secondary like they are capable of.
    i too am worried of a break out game for them sunday night.:(
  15. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Cromartie is definately capable of better, in fact if he matches up against Moss on sunday it will be fun to watch.

Like I had said in another thread - Jamal Williams at times can be a one man wrecking machine and shut down the run almost as if by himself much like Wilfork when he has one of his great games - I hope we don't see the pro bowl Williams at his best because if he is not Jordan should have a great game.

To me Ronnie Brown based on his play thus far is the best overall back in the game right now and he shred the Chargers DL - I can see a healthy Jordan doing the same with a little help from Morris
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

The spread seems right. I expect us to win, but they are a better team at this point. and they are playing at home. Would it be outragious if it were a pickem' game in Foxboro?
  17. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

New England would have been a 1 point favorite at Gillette IMO

I can't remember the last pick em game in Foxboro or at least while Gillette is standing - Maybe back in 2001 with the Rams visiting was the last?
  18. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

i dont think jordan will play.hope iam wrong.
  19. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I hope you are wrong too,I think Jordan when 100% is our best weapon on offense this season - Jordan moves the chains consistently.

Maroney is a waste against most solid fronts to which SD has a good one most of the time - Jordan is the type of hard running bruiser that could send Jamal and co. back a few feet at least.

I expect to see evans getting some more carries than usual in this game as well - The Patriots will most likely try and slow this game down using thier rotation of backs and that is the best way to beat the CHargers and keep Cassel from having to be the guy to win the game - I don't want to see Cassel in that position right now against a solid team like SD - The defense,special teams and rushing attack are keys to beating SD in thier house.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  20. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Though it is true that with one play in each of the three losses going their way the Chargers could be 5-0, I think a lot of the betting public may be going with the Pats due to injury concerns to LT, Gates, and Rivers. In addition, as bad as the Pats have been statistically on offense, the Chargers have been just as bad, or worse, on defense without Merriman. They rank 28th in yards allowed/game, 24th in points/game, 18th against the run and dead last against the pass.
  21. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I think they just don't buy into Cassel yet. Talentwise the Chargers are stacked but they are playing terribly so I think we will beat them, even without Brady.

Sheesh, why don't you go out and buy your Chargers jersey already!
  22. patriotsdynasty12189

patriotsdynasty12189 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Matt Cassel...seriously.
  23. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I understand what you're saying, and it does need to be a team win, but I think Cassel is going to have to have a 2-3 passing TD game. I'm ok with him being thrown into the fire this week, to a degree. It's not like we have a stretch of painfully easy games this year, especially in our division. He needs to be ready for a lot of good teams. The chargers chasing him down is a great way to get him ready for that.

It might be that we can win ball control again, but I'm not positive on that one...
  24. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well the home team usually gets 3 just for bein the home team, so really it's only 3 point dogs.
  25. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Exactly,and the remaining 3 points after factoring in HFA really isn't that shocking. Thinking in terms of how the Pats are viewed by the betting public I'm sure many are still a bit wary of Cassel's consistency plus there's probably a question mark regarding them,in their present status, being able to win again out there this week. :blahblah::D
  26. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Game managers tend to be underdogs. I wouldn't be surprised if Brady won the MVP again by NOT playing.
  27. GostkowSKI

GostkowSKI Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Were the Pats a pick em' or a dog in 2005 and/or 2006 at home vs. the Colts?
  28. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

IIRC NE was 2 to 2 1/2 point favorites in both those games

I think the Brady-led NE team has not been an underdog at Gillette since the 2002 season - I may be wrong but I don't think so
  29. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Given the homefield advantage and the fact that the Chargers were robbed off a victory at Denver (and nearly got one against the Panthers, both on the road btw), I am a bit surprised that the spread is not more. But I guess they factored in Mr. Tomilson's injury and the absence of their WR.

I don't care to be honest.

I would rather have the whole world doubting us and keeping us the underdogs for the entire season. :cool:

GO PATS!!
  30. 420jim

420jim Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So far this season team "A" looked good one week and the next they looked like a dog. Team "B" looked bad one week and champs the next. The only thing "WE" know is that the Giants are good and the Raiders are the Raiders for a reason (Al, I took too many trips on the Ronald Reagan freeway, Davis)

The line means little, Las Vegas Books have no bettor (pun intended) handle on teams than we do. Which brings up a different train of thought...

The NFL has a hair across its @ss about Las Vegas, I live there and the rules the NFL imposes are nuts. And yet, there is a spread line posted in the papers and on its own sports shows. A line that only comes from Las Vegas, but that is a topic for another thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.