PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5th Year Eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
5th Year Eligibility.

Does anyone here know if any of 2011's impending Seniors have the ability to simply stay another year, if they so choose? Do they have to have a particular reason ~ injury, for example ~ or is it something they can just opt for, without needing a particular reason?

I believe the answer is currently "No", but I read, a few months ago, that there was a campaign, afoot, to allow them that option on a universal basis.

So really, it's a 3 part question, which I'm hoping the College experts here can answer:

1 ~ Do the impending Seniors have the automatic option of extending for a 5th?

2 ~ If not, is there any chance that this will change, between now and March?

3 ~ If the answer to #1 and #2 is "No" for both...is there anywhere I can Google up a list of Seniors who ~ for whatever reason ~ might have that option, on a case by case basis?

5th Year Eligibility.

Does anyone here know if any of 2011's impending Seniors have the ability to simply stay another year, if they so choose? Do they have to have a particular reason ~ injury, for example ~ or is it something they can just opt for, without needing a particular reason?

I believe the answer is currently "No", but I read, a few months ago, that there was a campaign, afoot, to allow them that option on a universal basis.

So really, it's a 3 part question, which I'm hoping the College experts here can answer:

3 ~ If the answer to #1 and #2 is "No" for both...is there anywhere I can Google up a list of Seniors who ~ for whatever reason ~ might have that option, on a case by case basis?

(1) AFAIK, there is no automatic option for extension, although players who missed a chunk of time due to injury or illness can request a fifth or even a sixth year of eligibility (if it happened twice, as was the case for Jordan Shipley).

(2) Who knows, although signs point to no.

(3) If you find one, let me know. ;)

5th Year Eligibility.

A player can come back for a 5th year if he has either missed a season due to injury. Or, if the team just didn't play him. If it's an injury, you can petition the NCAA to not count that year. But, the injury usually has to be very early. 1st or 2nd game.

1. The school must accept him back. If not getting much playing time, schools don't want to bring the player back. Tying up a scholarship. If player can help team, school can take him back. You have 5yrs to play 4 seasons.

2. Don't see any changes to the rules.

3. Some schools list players by academic class on their rosters. PSU usually does. But, many put football eligibility there. Rivals has a list of rosters for all teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes