PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5'9" Rookie CB Brandon Flowers vs. 6'4" Randy Moss - Is this the expected matchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just read an article that says the Chiefs Rookie CB Flowers who is 5'9 will be starting up against the 6'4" future HOFer Randy Moss?

If this is true,How does he stop him if the Patriots show no mercy and throw there all day?

If the Chiefs are lucky the weather will be rainy and windy and it will be a grind em out game on the ground like I expect but if not, all I can say is "Welcome to the NFL, Brandon :cool:"

Last edited:
Re: 5'9" Rookie CB Brandon Flowers vs. 6'4" Randy Moss - Is this the expected matchu

dwyane bowe vs wheatley/hobbs could also be interesting

Re: 5'9" Rookie CB Brandon Flowers vs. 6'4" Randy Moss - Is this the expected matchu

We find a way to win with small CB's so that may not be uncommon.

Patrick Surtain is the #1 CB I believe

I followed the one link Chris Price had posted where Surtain was talking about the eyes of his two rookies (Flowers and nickelback Brandon Carr) getting big watching film of Moss and Welker - very amusing. As BB and SP have both opined, the height mismatch is overblown, where Moss will have an advantage is speed - Flowers fell as far as he did because he's one of the slower CBs in the 08 draft class. Flowers' quickness is better than Randy's, and he's not afraid to stick his nose in anywhere - he may lose a jump ball now and again, but jump balls also set up the WR for a big hit. I expect Flowers to play well, within the limits of his experience and coaching (Yeh Herm!, Go Team!).

Just read an article that says the Chiefs Rookie CB Flowers who is 5'9 will be starting up against the 6'4" future HOFer Randy Moss?

If this is true,How does he stop him if the Patriots show no mercy and throw there all day?

If the Chiefs are lucky the weather will be rainy and windy and it will be a grind em out game on the ground like I expect but if not, all I can say is "Welcome to the NFL, Brandon :cool:"

I don't expect the Pats to show any mercy this year.......

I better change my predict the score guess.

the rookie part has me more excited than the 5'9 part. Most CBs regardless of hight can stick their hand in and break up a pass if they are in the right place.

I don't expect the Pats to show any mercy this year.......

I hope so but doubt it considering some of the new faces on both offense and defense.

Last edited:

Um... anyone checked the height of OUR cornerbacks Lately? I believe Deltha is the current CB giant at 5'11"

Um... anyone checked the height of OUR cornerbacks Lately? I believe Deltha is the current CB giant at 5'11"

While that is true that our corners are small, this thread more focuses on the fact that this is a rookie who is smaller than a lot of other corners and on top of that faces his FIRST test in the NFL vs. a WR who is well above the average joe - Thats one tough assignment to handle

If he passes this test and Moss gets little action or shows little then Flowers should be an early ROTY candidate,He won't face HOF WRs every game.

Here's a clue...

CBs are selected for extreme quickness and also for vertical leap. Similar skills used when you front a much bigger opposing player in basketball.

Height of CBs is a source of angst among so many fans, but doesn't seem to bother head coaches, who draft and start 5'9" CBs all the time.

Very, very seldom does a QB try to throw a pass so high over the head of a WR that a six inch shorter CB cannot reach it without raising his arm, let alone jumping.

Height is useful for fade routes into the corner of the endzone. Jump balls on the sideline are no longer a good option, as the shorter CB can now let the guy go up and catch the ball before pushing him out of bounds.

The advantage of a shorter CB is that he is generally lighter than a 6'2" CB and cna change direction easier. Change of direction is important to a CB to be able to follow a WR out of his break.

As a 5' 9" player I can say that as a CB I'd be more concerned facing a 310 LB pulling guard on a sweep to my side than a 6' 4" skinny WR. I once got hit 'accidently' by a 295 LB NFL OT making a spin move towards the basket and landed 5 yds away on my ass.

Here's a clue...

CBs are selected for extreme quickness and also for vertical leap. Similar skills used when you front a much bigger opposing player in basketball.

Heres a clue for you... Moss who is way taller also has a pretty good verticle jump as well which evens your theory out, so if Flowers is to handle Moss the best way is to jump at the perfect time the ball is starting to descend and tip it away or possibly intercept it,The best corners in the game like Bailey who are shorter than the WR they are up against just seem to have a knack on tipping the ball at the perfect time,intercepting it or just play mind games with his receiver by not letting him get loose and just frustrate him,Thats what seperates the best from the not so good shorter CBs.

If Brady throws it high enough where only Moss can leap to grab it then the only thing Flowers would be able to do is PI and hit him just before the ball heads downward and hope the officials don't call it.

I do expect a lot of help from the safeties though,IF they are not busy running down Welker

Like I said earlier,If it is going to rain and be soggy out there as the forcast says then this will likely not be the game plan and the team will run more.

Last edited:

Heres a clue for you... Those WRs who are way taller also have a pretty good verticle jump as well which evens your theory out so if Flowers is to handle Moss the best way is to jump at the perfect time the ball is starting to descend and tip it away or possibly intercept it.

If Brady throws it high enough where only Moss can leap to grab it then the only thing Flowers would be able to do is PI and hit him just before the ball heads downward and hope the officials don't call it.

Read post #13

Heres a clue for you... Those WRs who are way taller also have a pretty good verticle jump as well which evens your theory out so if Flowers is to handle Moss the best way is to jump at the perfect time the ball is starting to descend and tip it away or possibly intercept it.

I do expect a lot of help from the safeties though,IF they are not bust runnig down Welker

Like I said earlier,If it is going to rain and be soggy out there as the forcast says then this will likely not be the game plan and the team will run more.

Local weather says the rain will be gone by game time with sun and warm weather, possibly 12-20 mph winds (I think, I tend to think in KM's, so I'm not positive on the wind speed).

Course if weather prediction is the same all across North America then I don't believe a word of it, hehe.

I think you have to consider that few QB's are as accurate as TB, so while he may be able to account for putting out of reach on a deep route, if Flowers is mega-fast, he's got a good shot at covering most tall receivers in the league. Still, I hope Moss and Brady torch the kid all day long.

Read post #13

Yeah I understood was spacecrime said - A guy like Flowers has to be practically covering the receiver like a blanket to get back some of the height disadvantage - not so easy with the better recievers out there like Moss,Thats why they ARE better receivers as they have the talent to seperate more often unless you force the D into double coverage and take your chances on the WR on the OTHER side going 1 on 1.

Receivers who are blanketed by shorter CBs do get frustrated at times because they cannot seperate because the speed many times is equal between CB and WR
I don't think this will be the case with Moss although like I said Moss could be double covered with one of the Safeties helping out - It depends what Herm decides to do and if they do double team Moss then you might have Gaffney 1 on 1 on the other side and have the other safety 1 on 1 with Welker in a 3 WR formation - its a tough call to make

Last edited:

Hopefully, Brady needs to make me win my fantasy game this weekend:D

CB height is entirely overblown by the average fan, and a lot of your top CB's are in the 5'10" range. The force out rule being taken off of the books actually gives the DB some advantage when playing against the sideline, too.

Someone like Brandon Flowers (who likes to hit and patterns his game after Rodney) will simply time the ball in the air, and take the WR out on the sideline. I've seen some fans claim it would be tough to time your hit just right, but it really isn't. Your average Defender has been making similar hits for years in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Heck, even at 257lbs I don't have that much of a problem timing my impact, so I doubt someone like Flowers who has good quickness will have any problems. I'm not saying he'll contain Randy (that's a lot to expect from any CB let alone a rookie), but I do think he'll be a good CB in the NFL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots