PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

58 Passes, Most in His Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Tom Brady threw 58 passes, most in a game in his entire career. Why throw it so much, when you are leading most of the game, and playing against Seattle's defense which is only giving up 14 a game? You know their secondary is nasty, their corners are big and physical, and they have a great free safety.

6 trips to the red zone, only 1 touchdown out of it.

The Patriots won the last two games pounding the ball, and they got away from it for no reason. Only 6 points in the second half. The offensive line was running the ball well early, then they got away from it. The O-line was protecting Brady well all game (only 1 sack), but that still doesn't justify a game plan where Brady passed the most in his entire career, in a game where the Pats weren't trailing for most of the game.

W didn't run because the Seattle defense close down the run. The offense was a couple of penalties away from scoring enough to control the game and win.

Great run D for the Hawks. And for some reason the Pats are always throwing in this type of weather. Hence I took the Hawks on a moneyline..

Seattle's pass defense is top 5 in the league, it's not like by passing it 58 times the Patriots were going after the Seahawk's weakness. Their secondary is excellent. With a lead during most of the game, why not shorten the game?

The Patriots threw 47 times for 32 completions, 325 yards and 2 TDs with 0 interceptions in the first 3 quarters.

Do you honestly describe that as a nasty secondary? The Patriots exploited them.

In the 4th quarter, while they were ahead, they ran it 10 times and threw it 10 times.

Look at end of the 3rd quarter.

The Patriots threw it 7 times, ran once, moved the ball from their 30 to Seattle's 7 yard line. They were moving the ball by passing. Almost at will.

I'd have to see the snap counts, but I saw Red Bryant in there more than Bruce Irvin. In that situation, I'd want to pass a ton too.

The Patriots threw 47 times for 32 completions, 325 yards and 2 TDs with 0 interceptions in the first 3 quarters.

Do you honestly describe that as a nasty secondary? The Patriots exploited them.

In the 4th quarter, while they were ahead, they ran it 10 times and threw it 10 times.

Look at end of the 3rd quarter.

The Patriots threw it 7 times, ran once, moved the ball from their 30 to Seattle's 7 yard line. They were moving the ball by passing. Almost at will.

I agree. Over all they were good. Brady made some bad plays, like most QB's do occasionally. You've got to remember, TB got knocked in the head, They flew 3000 mi, played in the rain, a cold going around the locker rm.... But I'm not giving the secondary a pass because they've been awful all season:snob:

mistakes are going to happen with 58 passes.

mistakes are going to happen with 58 passes.

agreed, but even with his mistakes he played well enough to win that game, the secondary **** the bed

Sadly, we need Brady to pass even more than he did. The offense sputtered only when it became balanced in the 4th.

Bledsoe still holds the ridiculous record at 70, a record I hope TB never has to break.

Run the ball more? Ridley averaged 2.1 yards on 16 carries for 34 yards. When they got the ball back with 3:02 left in the game and up 6 they gave the ball to Ridley on 1st and 2nd down and he got 1 lousy yard each carry. So they tried to "run it out" but couldn't do it.

Brady threw for 395 yards and 2 TD's, he carried the offense on his back until he inexplicably lost it in the second half. The two picks really hurt and he was off target on a number of other throws but if the defense wasn't so ridiculously incompetent then Brady's three-quarters of excellent play would have been surely good enough for a win.

Brady's still by far the most valuable person to franchise because absent him they would be a non-playoff team for certain.

We were passing because we couldn't run...duh. Also it was working. They just did a poor job of getting points out of the red zone.

agreed, but even with his mistakes he played well enough to win that game, the secondary **** the bed

Im not sure I agree with that. Your red zone offense was not doing well, and you won TOP. I think the offense shared the blame, and to keep putting a average defense on the field is not a good idea.
Your run was shut down,and Brady had to short pass to make downs.

Last edited:
W didn't run because the Seattle defense close down the run. The offense was a couple of penalties away from scoring enough to control the game and win.

This is the obvious answer that so many seem to be forgetting.

While I hate the fact that we didn't run when Brady threw his 2nd INT in the endzone, as a FG would have been more than fine at that point, the gameplan was to throw the ball; and it was working just fine.

We had a 23-10 lead driving to score again with about 10 min left in the game.

We just weren't getting much via the run game today, and I don't think that was a surprise to Belichick.

Another thing about the Seahawks' run defense is that even though Red Bryant is the guy who gets a lot of the credit for the run defense (mainly because the Pats tried to sign him), Alan Branch has been fantastic as a run-stopper inside for Seattle, and Brandon Mebane is a very good overall DT. There may not be a more talented group of three run defenders in the NFL.

Another thing about the Seahawks' run defense is that even though Red Bryant is the guy who gets a lot of the credit for the run defense (mainly because the Pats tried to sign him), Alan Branch has been fantastic as a run-stopper inside for Seattle, and Brandon Mebane is a very good overall DT. There may not be a more talented group of three run defenders in the NFL.

Also Bobby Wagner played lights out in run support.

Last edited:
Im not sure I agree with that. Your red zone offense was not doing well, and you won TOP. I think the offense shared the blame, and to keep putting a average defense on the field is not a good idea.
Your run was shut down,and Brady had to short pass to make downs.

TOP was lopsided in favor of Patriots so the D's tiredness should not have figured into it.

The red zone offense was not about lack of execution but rather lack of playcalling. They ran it 3 times on one series in the RZ, then settled for a FG. They got it down there by passing 7 times on another series, then ran twice and Brady's INT. At the end of the first half, there were 3 different errors made (which had a lot more to do with brainfarts than problems with red zone execution). One, Brady's normally excellent fieldclock went haywire and Belichick had to call a TO after much time wasted. Two, Belichick decided to go for it with 6 seconds left (I think because they were gambling because of the previous screw-up). Three, Brady didn't get rid of the ball fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes