53 players- just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddylove

Rookie
Reaction score
I look at the roster and this is how I see things shaking out

QB (3) Brady, Cassel and Vet possibly Fiedler/or udfa Bramlet
All depends on the growth of Cassel from rookie season. If he does grows just a bit like Brady he could be the backup.

RB (4) Dillon, Faulk, Maroney and Mills
Mills does all the things that Pass and Evans do but is a younger/cheaper player.

WR (5) Branch, Bethel, Jackson, Brown, Caldwell
Bethel is going to work hard and make something of himself. The group we probably all expect.

OL (9) Light, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Mankins, Stevenson,O'Callaghan,Hochstein, Gorin
Just what Belichick likes versatility and a bunch of guys who fit the system.

TE (3) Watson, Graham and Thomas
So Surprises here

DL (6-7) Seymour, Green, Wilfork, Warren, Hill, Smith and (Klecko)
Smith is the backup NT, hill must really step up in year #3. Klecko is competing with Paxton for spot #53. They are't directly competing but if Thomas or Mills can snap then Paxon is expendbable.

LB (10) Bruschi, Colvin, Vrabel, Banta-Cain,Davis, Roach, Izzo, Mincey, Claridge and Alexander.
I truly think the pats would love to get rid of Beisel. He didn't play well, fit in the system or really know how to keep his mouth shut. This group gives the best versatility (inside/outside potential) special teams skills and pushes towards a youth movement at an aging position.

DB (10) Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Warfield, Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Andrews (returner) and Tebucky
Samuel, Gay and Hobbs are the true corners, Harrison, Sanders and Tebucky the safties. The other four (Warfield, Wilson, Hawkins and Andrew) all have the ability to play both. Andrews will be the pr/kr this season. There is always the Ty Law factor which doesn't matter now because he isn't here.

P/K/Snapper (2-3) Gostkowski, Miller and (Paxton)

If Thomas or Mills can long snap then Paxton is gone, if the Pats hold on to Paxton then Klecko is the goner. The biggest name/veteran cuts include Patrick Pass, Chad Scott, Monty Beisel, Hank Poteat and Guss Scott

I don't have any major problems with your 53 players, except for

the fact that you are downplaying the importance of the long

snapper. Lonnie Paxton is one of the best and would be a heck of

an asset for our rookie kicker.

Really like your 53, but have to agree with Jimke - Thomas has NEVER long-snapped in a game and Mills has only done so sparingly. Please, PLEASE don't join the legion of doofi who are actaully buying into the idea that these guys could take over for Paxton. I know how you feel, I LOVE having the versatility, but the guy is THE best in the NFL at what he does. Let him be.

Also, Beisel was disappointing last year, but Dean Pees thinks Monty's like night and day compared to what he looked like early in the year. And remember that Tedy took 3 years to make the transition. Beisel isn't going anywhere.

Overall, though, that's a helluva roster. Good work.

Last edited:
Lots of work there, Buddy. We'll see what O'Callaghan shows in camp - if it's not much, I'd personally rather carry Bam Childress at WR than O'Callaghan on the line. Stick him on the practice squad. Also, if you're throwing a roster spot at Bethel, make him do the kick return duties, PR too if he can handle it (if not, leave that to Troy...) and get room for one more body (hey, we can even take O'Callaghan back if it works out.)

All idle speculation of course, especially with camp still off in the distance... but what else are we gonna do with the lean months?

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
We'll see what O'Callaghan shows in camp - if it's not much, I'd personally rather carry Bam Childress at WR than O'Callaghan on the line. Stick him on the practice squad. PFnV

I feel like we've just heard WAY too much about O'Callaghan for him not to be somewhat intriguing enough to be more than mere practice squad fodder. From the coaching staff, to former opponents and his college coaches - no rookie is guaranteed but this guy seems like a good enough prospect that judging him by his draft-round is a bit short-sighted, IMO.

patsox23 said:
I feel like we've just heard WAY too much about O'Callaghan for him not to be somewhat intriguing enough to be more than mere practice squad fodder. From the coaching staff, to former opponents and his college coaches - no rookie is guaranteed but this guy seems like a good enough prospect that judging him by his draft-round is a bit short-sighted, IMO.

I'd love to hear that he's mowing down people left and right once camp starts. It's just so easy to get psyched about the new toy Christmas morning and forget the one you treasured on Dec. 24. I know I know I know, everybody loves him... but he hasn't even played one NFL practice snap! Of course we've still got to see what he brings!

PFnV

My edited version of the roster. Changes are in red.
Buddylove said:
I look at the roster and this is how I see things shaking out

QB (3) Brady, Cassel and Bramlet
I can see Cassel being ready to be Brady's #2.

RB (4) Dillon, Faulk, Maroney and Pass
Mills gets IR'ed

WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Brown, Caldwell, Childress
I don't really see Bethel doing anything as he gets beat out at PR and KR. He is traded to a team like Jacksonville or New Orleans for a draft pick.

OL (9) Light, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Mankins, Stevenson,O'Callaghan,Hochstein, Gorin
Just what Belichick likes versatility and a bunch of guys who fit the system.

TE (3) Watson, Graham and Thomas
So Surprises here

DL (6-7) Seymour, Green, Wilfork, Warren, Hill, Smith
Smith is the backup NT, hill must really step up in year #3. Klecko does not make it.

LB (10) Bruschi, Colvin, Vrabel, Banta-Cain,Davis, Roach, Izzo, Mincey, Beisel, Claridge.
Beisel's only been around for a year and we need players at his position.

DB (10) Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Warfield, Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Andrews (returner) and Tebucky
Samuel, Gay and Hobbs are the true corners, Harrison, Sanders and Tebucky the safties. The other four (Warfield, Wilson, Hawkins and Andrew) all have the ability to play both. Andrews will be the pr/kr this season. There is always the Ty Law factor which doesn't matter now because he isn't here.

P/K/Snapper (2-3) Gostkowski, Miller and Paxton

Other than that, this seems basically right on.

I'd like to see Wesly Britt beat out Gorin, 'though Gorin's experience is of some comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back