PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

51 plus 2 free agents

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The reality is that we have no OG/C worthy of adding to the roster and no DT's worthy of the 4th DT spot. Personally, I think that this is a very strong roster. I am somewhat amazed that we are able to include both a dedicated KR and a dedicated PR, and still have room for 4 TE's.

On the defense, I eventually decided that I'd rather have two special teamers: Rivera and Ebner, rather than Beauharnais and Buchanan.

===============================
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden, Washington
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (4) Ballard, Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Fells
C (1) Wendell
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard
DT (3) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(4) Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Rivera
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
SS (3) Wilson, Wilson, Ebner
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (3) Gostkowski, Aiken, Mesko

Total players: 51
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2013
====================
NFI - Armstead, Harrison
IR - perhaps after Game 1, perhaps earlier - Dowling
Yes, Dowling could win a roster spot.

Can't disagree with any of it.
1. Might cut Ebner to keep Buchanan.
2. Might PUP Gronk to keep Hooman/Develin.

Definitely looking at whether Eagles keep Matt Tennant.

Definitely looking at who the Seahawks cut at both CB (possibly Will Blackmon) and DT (Jaye Howard)

Also looking at the Dolphins possibly cutting a DT like Vaughn Martin.

So much can happen between now and then, but your roster is rock solid.

I don't think the Pats necessarily need an additional center on the 53. No matter who they would sign, a injury to Wendell would more than likely involve moving Connolly to center and putting Cannon at RG. They'll want a center on the PS to call up in case Wendell misses multiple games (and there are a few candidates), but it seems to me that Zusevics is clearly the #8 offensive lineman if he's healthy (currently back practicing but limited). He was playing RG ahead of Svitek before he got hurt, so in theory that makes him the #4 guard and tackle.

Basically, I don't think you need three centers if your eighth best offensive lineman isn't a center.

Here's mine without looking at yours :

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Tebow
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Blount, Washington
TE (4) Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells
C (1) Wendell
DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Benard, Buchanan
DT (3) Wilfork, Forston, Kelly
ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
FS (3) McCourty, Harmon, Gregory
ST (3) Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

Total players: 53

Re: Re: 51 plus 2 free agents

Is that a legitimate possibility or just a hope of yours?

I completely agree that we'll sign a camp casualty OL and DT, but I think it might even be 50 + 3 free agents. I'm not convinced Forston is worthy of being on an NFL 53 man roster yet. When he played last year vs Baltimore, he was absolutely terrible. Almost a year has gone by since then, so he could have improved, but I think the team could do better and keep him on the PS.

Agreed.......

I completely agree that we'll sign a camp casualty OL and DT, but I think it might even be 50 + 3 free agents. I'm not convinced Forston is worthy of being on an NFL 53 man roster yet. When he played last year vs Baltimore, he was absolutely terrible. Almost a year has gone by since then, so he could have improved, but I think the team could do better and keep him on the PS.

Yeah but now, the team is short on TEs. As Gronk could be looking at missing up to six weeks of time to recover.

We are NOT short on TE's with ONLY three until Gronk returns. Cannon has been our blocking TE before, if there is an injury to one of the others.

But, yes, I know, some would have FIVE TE's on the roster. That amount seems excessive to me.

Yeah but now, the team is short on TEs. As Gronk could be looking at missing up to six weeks of time to recover.

I can see DT and CB as being two spots we'd take a stab at camp casualties.

As an aside, I think 4 DEs isn't enough and 6 safeties is too much. I could see Gregory getting cut due to the numbers game, although I think maybe we would have done that already due to respect and giving him time to get into someone else's camp. We have needed Gregory in practice as of late though since we've had to move McCourty to CB. Ebner is the other one I could see us moving on from.

I doubt any ST cover guy would make the roster injured except Slater. In particular, that includes Ebner.

Here's mine without looking at yours :

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Tebow
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Blount, Washington
TE (4) Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells
C (1) Wendell
DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Benard, Buchanan
DT (3) Wilfork, Forston, Kelly
ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
FS (3) McCourty, Harmon, Gregory
ST (3) Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

Total players: 53

I think you did a great job here.

The one and only disagreement I'd have is that I think we're definitely too light on OL (you only have 7), so I would take away one of Ebner/Dowling and add Zusevics, thus giving us 8 OL.

Other than that, I'd have to think that you'll be pretty darn close.

I'm praying that Detroit cut TE Michael Williams. He is currently battling with Joseph Fauria for the #3 TE job in Detroit and Fauria had more offensive snaps in the last preseason game (although Williams had more on special teams). I still think Williams is the best blocking TE in the NFL despite having yet to play a game and I think he would be a big upgrade over Hooman, especially early in the season when I think we will run the ball a lot to give the passing game time to get going.

Right now there really are a lot of interesting questions about the Pats final 53. How many RB's, how many TE's, will they use a roster spot on a pure kick returner (Washington), what to do with Tavon and even the punter competition could end with a surprise. And that's not even bringing the Tebow situation into it, where most media members thinks he makes it while most fans want him gone. I'm not even going to try and predict a final 53 right now because I'm only going to change my mind straight away.

Can't disagree with any of it.
1. Might cut Ebner to keep Buchanan.
2. Might PUP Gronk to keep Hooman/Develin.

Definitely looking at whether Eagles keep Matt Tennant.

Definitely looking at who the Seahawks cut at both CB (possibly Will Blackmon) and DT (Jaye Howard)

So much can happen between now and then, but your roster is rock solid.

Agree with your differences. Buchanan over Ebner is a no-brainer. You can never have enough pass rushers. He may not be this year. But, we might have something in a year or two once he gets stronger. If you want Tavon Wilson cut instead of Ebner. No prob. But, I would keep Tavon.

We've got three tough games in weeks 4-6; at Atlanta, at Cincy and New Orleans. Would love to have Gronk for those 3 games. Obviously, don't want to rush him back. But, if BB thinks another month is enough. We can prob live without 4 te's. Another possibilty could be Devlin/HooMan over that 5th rb. If we cut Washington, is it a certainty he gets picked up? Gronk plays week 4, and we bring Washington back if one of the rb's or te's go down. Tough positions to stay completely healthy.

The more I look at combinations of the Patriots 53 the less I can justify a spot for Tim Tebow. I'm not sure I want him on the roster ahead of a skill position player or a special teams contributor.

The one and only disagreement I'd have is that I think we're definitely too light on OL (you only have 7), so I would take away one of Ebner/Dowling and add Zusevics, thus giving us 8 OL.

I figure we'd only have 7 active anyway (maybe I'm wrong) so we could have one on the PS. We'd have to lose 3 in one game to be in trouble and there's good versatility with Connelly being able to play C and G and both Cannon and Svitek being able to play G and T.

The more I look at combinations of the Patriots 53 the less I can justify a spot for Tim Tebow. I'm not sure I want him on the roster ahead of a skill position player or a special teams contributor.

I don't disagree but I think he is on the team so I figured I wouldn't fight it on mine.

What is amazing it that according to my count of BF's roster, it includes 11 rookies... that is 20% of our entire roster is all young'uns.

This team is being rebuilt in front of our eyes...

What is amazing it that according to my count of BF's roster, it includes 11 rookies... that is 20% of our entire roster is all young'uns.

This team is being rebuilt in front of our eyes...
I only count 9 - although Armstead would be on PUP or NFI - so that would make 10. Regardless it's got a lot of young talent, hopefully they develop well.

I really think they need 4 DT, whether that comes from this roster or a FA release is a question but trying to get through a season with only 3 for a team that likes to run 3-4 as much as this one does seems really risky to me.

The reality is that we have no OG/C worthy of adding to the roster and no DT's worthy of the 4th DT spot. Personally, I think that this is a very strong roster. I am somewhat amazed that we are able to include both a dedicated KR and a dedicated PR, and still have room for 4 TE's.

On the defense, I eventually decided that I'd rather have two special teamers: Rivera and Ebner, rather than Beauharnais and Buchanan.

===============================
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden, Washington
TE (4) Ballard, Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Fells
C (1) Wendell
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard
DT (3) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(4) Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Rivera
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (3) Gostkowski, Aiken, Mesko

Total players: 51
====================
NFI - Armstead, Harrison
IR - perhaps after Game 1, perhaps earlier - Dowling
Yes, Dowling could win a roster spot.

7 deep on the offensive line is scary thin. No way I can see the team doing that to itself in order to have Rivera and Ebner on the roster.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back