PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

50th Anniversary Minute – The 2001 Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll always remember that season as a feel-good sports movie that happened in real life. The emergence of Tom Brady from 4th string QB to Super Bowl champ obviously is the main plot of the story, but the subplots are right out of Hollywood...

- The Bledsoe vs. Brady subplot

- The Jets with an awful loss in Buffalo late, setting the Pats up for the divsion

- Oakland losing 3 straight to end the year, the last on a 53yd Jets FG while the Pats were flying home from Carolina, setting up the Pats as the #2 seed and host for the Snow Bowl

- The Snow Bowl itself and the ridiculous sequence of events: Pats stuff Oakland on both 2nd- and 3rd-and short, forcing a last-chance punt; Brady fumbles and the game is over...but wait...The Tuck Rule; AV's 45yd FG to tie the game; Oakland sitting on two timeouts before allowing the game to go to OT; Pats win the toss and Brady goes 8-for-8, setting up the chippie winner.

- The AFCCG in Pittsburgh with The Bledsoe Redemption, the special teams (predictably) winning the game, the D overplaying the run and daring inaccurate Kordell to win the game with his arm.

- SB36 and the win over The Best Show on Turf, two years removed from their title and everyone's annointed new dynasty. McGinest's hold, swinging the game back into competitiveness. The frantic 4th quarter that saw a 14pt lead disappear. Madden with his "take a knee and go to OT." JR Redmond's outstanding play to get a 1st down and out-of-bounds inches before being downed (most underrated play of the game). Brady to Brown and the "Oh my God they're in FG range!" moment. AV with the truest 48yd FG I've ever seen - would have been good from 60 - as time expired. Red, white and blue confetti. Brady with the "We won" to Drew.

Regards,
Chris

I remember this Super Bowl well! I was actually cheering for the underdog Pats to win this game. It was two years later that the hatred for them began. Alas........
I think that's fairly universal outside of New England. People love you when you're the underdog, but win more than once and you are the evil monster that must be slain. I can recall hearing more than just one person say "I'm tired of the Patriots win all the time" and "I want to someone else win for a change" - and that was before the Super Bowl following the 2003 season had been played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back