Welcome to PatsFans.com

50 cent gas tax, how does that hit ya

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 2 / -9

The only way to fight the "gas bastards" is to use less of their product, if the people could stand together and stay home for two days (same days) and don't drive unless a life depended on it that would back them up and force them to make a move.

Does this Democrat have a good idea------:confused:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,339589,00.html

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

More money out of every gallon already goes to the government than to the refiners, the guys who take the risk to pull it out of the ground or the stations.

Why should they get more? Now, if this money could go into a separate fund dedicated solely for alt. energy development, and the other plethora of taxes could be reduced by say .25/gallon, sure.

But that will never ever happen.

3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm all for a boycott and a National Day we're people don't get gas. Of course they would still probably just use the same amount of gas consumption. Instead of fueling up Sunday and Monday they'd just do it different days.

if her intent is to get people to stay home then isn't that slowing down the economy? people won't be going to the stores, to resutaurants, to entertainment events. and how is that good for a slowing down economy.

maybe a higher gas cost will fuel people's motivation for an answer to cheaper transporation costs.

we need radically smaller cars that don't weight thousands of pounds and we need them electrical or a different source of energy. problem is... do you want to drive this next to a SUV or big rig? smaller vehicles would mean we could make more lanes on a high way.

more expensive fuel costs means conservation but it also means a slowing down in expenditures to help the economy.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I like that.
    You're right. I don't trust the government with more money. It'll just go back to the corporations in the form of subsidies.

5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

Of course, the Saudis, Libyans, Iranians, Texans , Halliburton (which has now moved to Dubai) and Al Qaeda don't get a dime, right?

But dammit if any should go to the US Government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this is probably just a front so the 50 cents per goes into Geo Bush's bank account.

:woohoo:

Dum-dum, dum-dum, do-do, do-do.....

//

7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

He's the Greatest US President in Iranian History.

There should be statues of W on every traffic circle in Teheran. He has built up that economy in a brilliant fashion. Without him and Halliburton Dick, the Mullahs would have been overthrown 5 years ago.

8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nothing wrong with that!!

//

9. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

Salaam aleikum to you too!

However, as an American, I judge my Presidents on what they do for MY country.

10. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why should the US government? What risk do they take, exploring for oil, drilling for oil, transporting oil, refining the oil into the 18 thousand different blends required, opening and running a gas station, employing people, what risk does the government take in that?

But they do take the largest percentage. Something on the order of 34% of the cost of a gallon of gas goes to government in it's various forms.

You don't think that's a little excessive, considering how obscenely wasteful all governments are?

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Which brings us back to the issue of reducing the demand as patriotic Americans. We can control the price.

12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't really think we can control the price.

The world market for gasoline and diesel is too great for a few gallons here or there to make a difference. If demand in the US dropped, BP or XOM etc etc would simply ship it to China.

If anything, the price should increase here--only that will lead to widespread adoption and development of alternative sources.

Not that I really want to pay more--just that that's about the only way I see out of this mess. The example is Brazil. Their economy went in the tank for several years when they weaned themselves off of oil and onto ethanol. Of course, their advantage is that sugar cane ethanol is much more efficient than corn ethanol, which is mandated (stupidly) in this country.

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

There's something suspicious about this story. Dingell's home district is where Ford is, and it's pretty rare for a politician in either party to turn against a major company in their district. The only other thing I could find contained this, which, naturally, Fox left out:

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/dingell-to-propose-50-cent-gasoline-tax-increase-2007-07-07.html

"In the interview, Dingell acknowledged that voters may not be willing to bear the cost of limiting greenhouse gas emissions, and that he would propose the new tax 'just to sort of see how people really feel about this. I sincerely doubt that the American people are willing to pay what this is really going to cost them.'"

If there's not something more to this story, then Dingell has lost his mind as a politician.

14. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

IIRC Dingell has pulled this out a few times. At least once he was told to shut up and sit down by dem leadership.

Just because a politician brings something up really doesn't mean much. He puts it out there, and maybe people start saying "you know, we should" then they've got a new revenue stream. OTOH, if people are outraged, he says "it was just testing the waters".

And btw--do say he's lost his mind assumes he ever had one, and I'm not sure you can make that argument.

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.house.gov/dingell/carbonTaxSummary.shtml

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Thanks for posting that a.paul. It's odd Dingle is proposing this given that sales taxes are regressive, and this tax would especially penalize those who have to drive to low-paying jobs, while wealthier people could handle the increase easily. I would think the progressive thing to do would be to increase incentives for those who invest in cleaner cars and other cleaner energy solutions. Also, a small tax hike with the money earmarked towards building alternative energy solutions would be a reasonable idea, but personally I'd rather see it come from progressive income taxes, not regressives sales taxes.

17. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

Exactly! I share your view on the price increase.

I hope the US Gov't taxes the hell out of gas at the pump (and stops funneling the $4billion per year tax break to Big Oil). It will get our public (which suffers from ADD) off its arse.

We need to do what Brazil (Sugar Ethanol), Germany (Solar), France (Nuclear - albeit with improve spent-rod disposal), the Netherlands (Wind) are doing or else we WILL be further left behind in the 21st Century economically (or at the whims of Saudis, iranians, Libyans and Al Qaeda)..

This IS a National Security issue.

18. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And the funny (that's SAD not HA HA HA) part is, I believe in many ways it's a conservative issue as well. Being independent wrt energy, keeping money this country, not being subject to whims (and empowering) thugs like Chavez and Crazy Bunny in Iran, seems to me to be very conservative. And yes, as you say, a national security issue.

But what do I know.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  19. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

I see it as a Common Sense American issue that we Liberals, you Conservatives and everyone else in between should be coming together on.

The Balkanization of America has to stop at some point and we need to pull together.

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey