PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 wide on offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyb

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What do you think of 5 wide?

I'm thinking it's kind of a mistake. It basically says, obviously, "we're throwing". Maybe I'm missing something. It's usually a short pass too. One reason so many balls were batted possibly in the first half, is they throw too short.

Anyway, I always dread seeing 5 wide. Play action, or at least plays with 1 or 2 RBs in the backfield are better for confusing the defense. Although some of the Blount runs were seemingly obvious runs based on the way the OL was lined up.

I would think you'd want maximum confusion on the defense so the best way would be to run plays with multiple options available to the QB, ie the same formation could be run, pass, play action pass, etc.

What do you think of 5 wide?

I'm thinking it's kind of a mistake. It basically says, obviously, "we're throwing". Maybe I'm missing something. It's usually a short pass too. One reason so many balls were batted possibly in the first half, is they throw too short.

Anyway, I always dread seeing 5 wide. Play action, or at least plays with 1 or 2 RBs in the backfield are better for confusing the defense. Although some of the Blount runs were seemingly obvious runs based on the way the OL was lined up.

I would think you'd want maximum confusion on the defense so the best way would be to run plays with multiple options available to the QB, ie the same formation could be run, pass, play action pass, etc.

the point is to spread the defense out and there's always a target with a short route than can replace the run.......it is especially effective in the hurry up when DL's get gassed....good short route running makes it easier

have to make the quick read if there's a blitz though

it has been proven as ineffective as a full time formation, but when you have good 3rd down backs and TE's who can line up wide, you can always audible one to the backfield in order to pick up pressure.

I'm no expert, but I've always thought that 5 wide formation were more about identifying coverages and forcing different matchups. Usually the Pats go five wide with at least 1 tight end and 1 running back. Then they look to see is the opponent covering the running back (we'll say Vereen) with a linebacker or the tight end (Gronk) with a DB. If neither is happening, they might pull Vereen back into a shotgun position and run a draw or leave him to pickup a blitz. But by spreading those two guys out, they force the defense to tip their hand a bit on what the plan was.

940x.jpg

"Make me a tight end. I'm 5 wide all by myself." :D

Do the Pats even have 5'wrs? Like above poster. It's not surprising to see it with a mix of te's and RBs filling. Pretty much see this during any game.

As an addition, I think it's different when you have a team like the 07 team, where we had 2 all-world WR's and 2 very competent WR's. With that many true wide outs, you can spread the D out and you're bound to have a matchup you love (not many teams are 4 deep on cover guys). Or you can run multi-layered routes that tend to free someone up via a rub or zone confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back