PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Weeks To Re-sign Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Free agency starts in a bit over five weeks.

One a week seems about right. My list:
Thomas
Edelman
Arrington
Koutouvides
Human

Re-sign Welker, Woodhead ,and Thomas, offer Edelman vet minimum. Try to sign Vollmer and Talib but don't get sucked into the market for them as neither is worth what they will get in free agency. I would love to have both but the league is going to overvalue them. Vollmer's recurring back issues make hima big risk for a big money long term deal, and Talib is one screw-up from a year vacation, not too mention his inability to stay on the field this season, which really surprised me.

*If they can get Edelman back cheap then do it, but he is simply too injury prone and too unproductive to get much more than vet minimum.He has not shown any ability to be a consistent starter for them at any position.

Thomas
Edelman
Arrington
Koutouvides
Human

Koutavides and Hooman are end of the roster guys, and Arrington just sucks, I can't wait to see him gone. They can replace him with Cole or a draft pick. Ballard replaces Hooman pretty easily.

maybe its a mind-block but....Thomas who?

Donald Thomas OL, he played really well for them this season.

in spot duty, thats right....isn't his best spot LG though?

Thomas
Edelman
Arrington
Koutouvides
Human

Thomas - bleh
Edelman - absolutely
Arrington - no
Koutouvides- no, was unemployed to start last year. Easily replaceable
Hooman - probably expendable with Ballard coming back

Thomas and Edelman should be kept.

Arrington wants to stay so they could probably keep him on favorable terms. Good slot corner.

Hooman and Koutouvides can walk for all I care.

Thomas definitely
Edelman yes at a reasonable above vet minimum deal
Arrington only if not planning to draft a CB
Koutouvides NFW
Human disappeared when he was needed against the Ravens Goodbye!

I believe we both think Welker is gone
And Vollmer goes too for big LT bucks
I'd say that we have a 50-50 shot at Talib; wish odds were better
Glad we re-signed Fletcher

If talib walks which he could very well do..we will NEED a CB in FA and go after one hard..i would hope

If talib walks which he could very well do..we will NEED a CB in FA and go after one hard..i would hope

As I said in another thread, Brent Grimes. #1 CB talent who could come cheaper due to injury problems.

Other guys that could come cheaper due to the fact that they are younger guys and haven't hit their peak yet are Keenan Lewis and Cary Williams.

Thomas
Edelman
Arrington
Koutouvides
Human

Edelperson = definitely want
Thomas, Arrington = good depth players, but don't want them (esp. Arrington) starting
Koutovides = meh
Hooman = RFA, bring him back (Pats really need four TEs, even with Ballard)

I think that we need to get real.

We need at least 3-4 corners (and more for camp) to take the spots of Talib, Arrington, Cole and Martin. We also need camp competition and injury protection. One possibility is Dowling.

With regard to Hooman, I expect us to consider carrying 4 TE's again. Hooman is inexpensive camp competition, competing with Ballard and Fells for 2 roster spots.

We're not talking about final rosters. We are talking about building an 80 man camp roster that will give us the best shot at having the best roster for the season.

The players to be signed before free agent could include one of our top free agents, who have a shot at a big contract elsewhere. I find that unlikely, except for Thomas, who I think that we (quite rightly) really want to keep.

I believe we both think Welker is gone
And Vollmer goes too for big LT bucks
I'd say that we have a 50-50 shot at Talib; wish odds were better
Glad we re-signed Fletcher

I think that we need to get real.

We need at least 3-4 corners (and more for camp) to take the spots of Talib, Arrington, Cole and Martin. We also need camp competition and injury protection. One possibility is Dowling.

How do you know talib is gone? Inside sources?

I do NOT know that Talib is gone. He is one of four free agent corners. He is not under contract. Obviously, he can be re-signed, as can Arrington, Cole and/or Martin. Of the big three, I think that Talib is the most important to re-sign. HOWEVER, the patriot staff knows more about his injuries that we do, and know much more what he is worth to the patriots.

I do NOT expect Talib to signed by the time free agency starts. Therefore, his position will need to be filled. Personally, I do not think that we will re-sign him once he hits the open market.

BTW, I am always intrigued by the disconnects between the coaches and message board gurus. Arrington was OK at nickel. He is certainly worth bringing to camp to compete for one of the five corner positions. The coaches played him a lot this past year.

How do you know talib is gone? Inside sources?

Arrington is great to have cheap as long as we have 3-4 CBs that play outside on the roster so he can stay in the slot and never be a trainwreck. Slot CB is an important position and he plays solid in that role.

As I said in another thread, Brent Grimes. #1 CB talent who could come cheaper due to injury problems.
Great, another 5'9 CB who can't match up with bigger WRs. Exactly what the Patriots need.

Koutavides and Hooman are end of the roster guys, and Arrington just sucks, I can't wait to see him gone. They can replace him with Cole or a draft pick. Ballard replaces Hooman pretty easily.

I'm sure that they could replace him with a comparable player or draft pick, but he does have experience here in this system which is certainly worth something.

On top of that, replacing him with Cole is one of the reasons why the defense ended up giving up a 21-0 run in the last 1/3 of the game last Sunday, so I wouldn't think that Cole can easily replace him, at least not as well as you may think.

I still think he's our best option for the slot, so I personally hope that they come to a mutual agreement that isn't expensive. That would be the best case scenario I think.

Great, another 5'9 CB who can't match up with bigger WRs. Exactly what the Patriots need.

I'm not so sure about that one. Grimes made the probowl and was coming off of 5 and 6 INT seasons. On top of that he defended 50 passes in a three year span.

Atlanta felt good enough about his ability to match up with bigger type receivers to pay him 10 million dollars last year under the franchise tag.

He is also closer to 5'11" than 5'9" but I get your point.

In this case I am not seeing the problem of having a "smaller" or average CB, because I think he's extremely talented. The concern will be price and if he's recovered enough from his injury in the beginning of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes