PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 teams in 2009 on the rise & 5 teams in decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harrison, up until the last game he played in (the Jacksonville game), was averaging 41.2 yards a game.

Clarke, up to the NE game, was averaging 50.4 yards a game.

Gonzalez, up to the NE game, was averaging 25.9.

Not really impressive, wouldn't you say?

And I love how you didn't address any of my other points.

Good job, champ.

That would have been a breakout game for all of them though.

Seriously, BigTimeColtsFan, and I say this with all due respect (none, in your case), get a life. For the life of me, I'll never understand how someone can be so insecure and pathetic at being a fan that they feel the need to start an account on another team's fan board just to try to claim over and over again that their team is better using faulty non-logic. We have some Colts fan posters here who are actually reasonable people whose opinions I respect: if I want to get the Colt perspective, I'll just ask them. you're useless.

Add Broncos to the list of teams on the decline.

Maybe for this year, but in the long term they'll be better for it. No player (or certainly not Cutler/Marshall, at least) is more important than having a disciplined, all-in organization full of real professionals.

In fact, Patriots-related stuff excepted, there's nothing I'd like to see more than the Broncos doing great this year, just to shove it in the face of Cutler and Marshall.

Last edited:

Why? I love what the Broncos have done under lousy circumstances.

Maybe for this year, but in the long term they'll be better for it. No player (or certainly not Cutler/Marshall, at least) is more important than having a disciplined, all-in organization full of real professionals.

In fact, Patriots-related stuff excepted, there's nothing I'd like to see more than the Broncos doing great this year, just to shove it in the face of Cutler and Marshall.

IMO The Broncos are going to have to go after Tebow in next year's draft - They have no answer at QB right now,Kyle Orton is not a great starting Quarterback

That would have been a breakout game for all of them though.

Seriously, BigTimeColtsFan, and I say this with all due respect (none, in your case), get a life. For the life of me, I'll never understand how someone can be so insecure and pathetic at being a fan that they feel the need to start an account on another team's fan board just to try to claim over and over again that their team is better using faulty non-logic. We have some Colts fan posters here who are actually reasonable people whose opinions I respect: if I want to get the Colt perspective, I'll just ask them. you're useless.

When did I ever say my team was better? Show me. If you read this thread I said I think the Pats will go about 13-3, maybe 12-4. Is that insulting or something? Did I say the Pats were a bad team? You want to hear what I think of the Pats? I think BB is a great coach, one of the best ever. I think Tom Brady is one of the best QB's ever and I think the Pats have a legit argument as being one of the best teams ever.

Now with all that being said:

Someone said the Colts were getting old and I pointed out that Brady and Manning are basically the same age, and Moss is older than Wayne, etc and that the Colts are a younger team than the Pats. People keep saying the window is closing around for the Colts, what key player from 2006 besides Marvin Harrison isn't on this team and in his prime? Booger McFarland?

I also said that if it was "pathetic" the Colts lost to an 8-8 team, (and that's quoting a Pats fan who was insulting my team), what do you call a 30-10 loss to an 8-8 team? Of course the excuses came out "no Brady no Brady no Brady". The Pats won 11 games without Brady and had one of the best offenses in the league WITHOUT BRADY. So how come an 8-8 team destroyed them?

And no, it's no big deal losing a hof reciever, a Pro Bowl TE, and the Rookie who was replacing the HOF receiver and was third on the depth chart. Being down to the backups backup is no big deal when your offense is built around passing and you're playing the best team in the league.

My point is I see "we didn't have Brady" used as an excuse for a 30-10 beatdown from an 8-8 team. But mention the Chargers injuries in 2007 or the Colts injuries in 2007 and it's "they don't matter".

And honestly I could care less about your opinion or if you want mine but Pats fans around here talk crap about the Colts constantly. I get it. You hate the Colts. The Colts have beat you 4 out the last 5 times you've played (and Brady played in 4 of those BTW) and it ticks you all off. I get it.

But don't whine about injuries and then turn around and blow off other teams.

Last edited:
My point is I see "we didn't have Brady" used as an excuse for a 30-10 beatdown from an 8-8 team. But mention the Chargers injuries in 2007 or the Colts injuries in 2007 and it's "they don't matter".

If you come here, and see someone use the 'Brady injury' excuse, just ignore them :D

But don't whine about injuries and then turn around and blow off other teams.

Brady is the quarterback, and is the best player in the NFL. The others aren't. That makes all the difference. Feel free to look back to 2003 and 2004 and see how the Patriots were able to succeed despite a ridiculous amount of injuries.

Or, to put it in terms a Colts fan can better appreciate:

Would you rather face the Steelers with Manning in the lineup but being without your top 2 receivers, tight end, and 3 defensive players, or would you rather face the Steelers with your entire roster available except for Manning?

When you respond "I want Manning in the lineup", perhaps you'll begin to understand.

It goes without discussion, that playing a rookie QB results most often in a losing season. The Jets may be headed upward, but not in 2010.:snob:

Someone said the Colts were getting old and I pointed out that Brady and Manning are basically the same age, and Moss is older than Wayne, etc and that the Colts are a younger team than the Pats. People keep saying the window is closing around for the Colts, what key player from 2006 besides Marvin Harrison isn't on this team and in his prime? Booger McFarland?

Valid point. I think the whole "Colts are getting old" angle is overplayed, kinda like how people still insist that the Pats have an aging D even though they only have a couple of starters over the age of 30. That's just what fans of other teams do. FWIW, if you go back to my first post on the first page of this thread, I said pretty specifically that I didn't think the Colts were on the decline.

As for why people talk about Manning aging more than Brady, it's probably because of the statistical trends. Manning's stats have been trending downward significantly for a few years, whereas Brady's spiked. Plus Brady has significantly less wear-and-tear on him, considering that a) he didn't start full-time at Michigan and b) he didn't see NFL playing time until 2000. He has a lot less football mileage on his body than Manning does. That said, obviously Brady's relative aging is all a moot point until we see how well he's recovered from his injury.

I also said that if it was "pathetic" the Colts lost to an 8-8 team, (and that's quoting a Pats fan who was insulting my team), what do you call a 30-10 loss to an 8-8 team? Of course the excuses came out "no Brady no Brady no Brady". The Pats won 11 games without Brady and had one of the best offenses in the league WITHOUT BRADY. So how come an 8-8 team destroyed them?

I wouldn't call it pathetic, although it certainly doesn't bode well for the Colts. For some reason, the Chargers match up really well with them, and pretty much always beat them. It is what it is.

As for why did they 'destroy' the Pats? Teams change over the course of the year. Especially when you have a QB who's starting for the first time since high school. The Pats were outright *bad* for the first few weeks after Brady got hurt. It was a pretty brutal combination of the OL not being able to create a pocket and Cassel having no pocket presence. Cassel was sacked 23 times in his first 5 starts. Trust me, it was ugly.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if Belichick had listened to all the mediots out there and signed Chris Simms or something, but he had his own vision for the path forward. He was going to let Cassel take his lumps early, so that by the time they really needed him to come through he'd be able to. And he was right: the Pats were peaking just in time for the playoffs, only to miss them outright because of a historic fluke; any other year, 11-5 makes the playoffs. I'm not bitter about it, not trying to claim that they should have made it, none of that. I'm just saying that they were so bad those first couple of weeks because they needed Cassel to learn on the job, and he did. That's why I'm still kinda pissed that they didn't make the playoffs. Not because of some abstract concept of merit or anything- just because of the simple observation that they were a damn good team by the end of the year. They absolutely murdered the Dolphins the second time they played them, and if you ask me they wouldn't have rolled over for the Ravens like the Dolphins did. That would have been a real game.

Anyways, going back to the beginning of the season, like I said- the Pats were bad. They were playing a JV quarterback with the varsity, because they weren't playing for that game- they were playing for having the best team possible come playoff-time. Luckily for us, the Jets and the 49ers were so bad that they still couldn't capitalize on it, and we beat them anyways. Along the way, though, we suffered some ugly losses to San Diego and Miami. I can't emphasize enough, that, that that was a different team. It was even more extreme than the Colts at the beginning of the season vs. once Manning got his legs back.

So why does the 30-10 beatdown by the Chargers not really matter to me? Because by the end of the season, the Pats were a completely different team. Cassel went from a nobody who had just enough pocket presence to get sacked almost 5 times per game to an asset that warranted franchising, and who many, many people in the industry thought would fetch at least a first round pick in a trade.

In the remaining 11 games after the ugly start, the Pats went 8-3, with a 1 point loss, a 3 point loss, and a pretty ugly beating at the hands of the SB champion Steelers. If the Pats had played the Chargers in week 17, there's no doubt in my mind that we would have absolutely crushed them.

And no, it's no big deal losing a hof reciever, a Pro Bowl TE, and the Rookie who was replacing the HOF receiver and was third on the depth chart. Being down to the backups backup is no big deal when your offense is built around passing and you're playing the best team in the league.

Point taken, except calling Harrison a HOF receiver in the context of that game is kinda ridiculous. If the Pats signed Jerry Rice then didn't dress him for the game, could they say that they were down a HOF receiver too? At that point his his career Harrison was a marginal #2 receiver at absolute best (more like an adequate #3), and Gonzalez was a marginal #3.

We're not talking about injuries in general. If we were, we'd bring up Neal, Maroney, Harrison, Adalius, etc. No, literally the only injury that warrants mentioning, to us, is Brady. You've watched Manning for the last decade plus, so you of all people should understand that losing a Manning or a Brady isn't even remotely comparable to losing anyone else.

Of course Pats fans don't like the Colts. It's not because you've beaten us 4 of the last 5 times. As much as I dislike the Colts, I dislike the Chargers and Steelers more, even though the Pats routinely trounce both of those teams. Hell, I dislike the *Jets* more than I dislike the Colts, and they're a joke. I don't like the Colts for one very specific reason: 2006 AFC Championship Game. That's it. I actually respect the team, mostly because I like Manning (although I'm no fan of Dungy or Polian).

And of course Pats, on a Pats fanboard, are going to all not like the Colts. For all the Colt-bashing that you seem to think goes on here, I see far more Patriot-bashing on Colts boards on the rare occasion that I actually go to them (last time was to get some perspective on the Dungy retirement, so I guess I'm overdue). The difference is that that doesn't bother me at all. I couldn't care less what a bunch of a Colts fans on a Colts fanboard think about the Patriots, and it would never even occur to me to register at one just so that I could spend dozens of posts being mad that a Colts fan would dare to not like the Patriots. It reeks of juvenile insecurity, and it's kinda pathetic.

Last edited:
That was me. :cool: Want to know what is even more pathetic? Losing to the same team at home in the '07 playoffs. And the icing on the cake? The Colts lost to the Chargers backups in the 4th quarter. In fact, Billy Volek replaced Rivers and drove them down field for the winning touchdown. Tomlinson was once again a non factor but Turner and Sproles had a field day against that small, soft, worn down defense the Colts possess. The sad thing is, Manning and the Colts only want to play their hardest when the Patriots are on the opposite sideline. The '06 title game is a great example. Had the Chargers, Steelers or any other team had a 21-6 half time lead, Manning and Colts probably would have thrown in the towel. Manning and the Colts played that second half like it was their last game. After winning the super bowl, Manning and the Colts are back to what they do best; have a great regular season and lose early in the playoffs.

Dumbest argument ever. Brady is the best QB in the game and the biggest difference maker in the game. It was a surprise that they were able to win 11 games with a back up QB who hasn't played a game since high school and an average defense. Try winning a game without Peyton Manning.

Last edited:
Surprised my Chargers arent in the decline list seeing that so many of our most important players are in contract year. Whatever tho, this is just another of many lists largely based on opinion and speculation.

Surprised my Chargers arent in the decline list seeing that so many of our most important players are in contract year. Whatever tho, this is just another of many lists largely based on opinion and speculation.

I think it's partly because Merriman's coming back and partly because you finished 8-8--you'd have to be pretty bad to 'fall' from that.

Like most people's list, they're not on my list because the AFC West is extremely weak. In fact, the Chargers are a lock to win the West once again.

Last edited:
Like most people's list, they're not on my list because the AFC West is extremely weak. In fact, the Chargers are a lock to win the West once again.

Yep, if the Chargers don't win the West this season then they really did get Norv'd.

Why does every one insist that the Dolphins are going to regress because the Wildcat? First of all, the formation has just seen the surface, there are plenty more wrinkles to come.

Also, what about the base offense? The Dolphins did have a quarterback with a +12 TD/INT ratio and 3,500+ passing yards. It also features one of the most talented backfields in football with Ronnie Brown at full strength, Ricky Williams playing consecutive seasons for the first time since 2003 and a beefed up offensive line.

And no way Moss abuses us like he did last year; we took care of our cornerback problem via the draft.

Last edited:
Why does every one insist that the Dolphins are going to regress because the Wildcat? First of all, the formation has just seen the surface, there are plenty more wrinkles to come.

Also, what about the base offense? The Dolphins did have a quarterback with a +12 TD/INT ratio and 3,500+ passing yards. It also features one of the most talented backfields in football with Ronnie Brown at full strength, Ricky Williams playing consecutive seasons for the first time since 2003 and a beefed up offensive line.

And no way Moss abuses us like he did last year; we took care of our cornerback problem via the draft.

What about Welker?

What about him? Does he have any relevance to this thread?

Last edited:
You had an answer to Moss apparently, so I wanna hear your answer to Welker.

Well we took two guys. We can put our best cover corner in Will Allen on Welker and that should work; Welker can't beat premiere corners, we all know that. Put the big rookies on Moss, we'll find out who it is by September, Sean Smith or Vontae Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes