Welcome to PatsFans.com

5% of the Population Accounts for 48% of Health Care Expenditures.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 27, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Interesting report here ... if reading reports excites you. :eek:

http://nihcm.org/images/stories/NIHCM-CostBrief-Email.pdf

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 6 / -8

So the point seems to be... sick people cost more in health care expenses?

Here's the thing, Icy. You don't get to pick when you get sick. My mom was 84, swimming 3x a week, drinking sports drinks like they were going out of style, perenially concerned with new health articles, anti-oxidants, the whole 9. Didn't smoke, rarely drank.

But thing is, she was 84. Surprise surprise, she had a major stroke.

Things happen. A cell decides it wants to keep dividing, even though all the nice cells around it don't particularly like that. Too much blood goes through the wrong vessel at the wrong time. Clots build up, break off, and shower your brain.

It's a classic risk pool situation, and combined with our outrageous health costs -- you cannot "save up" to deal with a major health event -- it amounts to a no-brainer: You put everybody in the same pool, 95% foot the bill for the sickest 5%, and Bob's your uncle. Oh and by the way, it's cool. You'll be in the 5% sooner or later, most likely.

Have a nice day!

:singing::singing:
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

If you realize that a year in a nursing home costs anywhere from a low of $84,000 per year in Indiana to a high of $108,000.00 per year in New Jersey (and that does not include the cost of daily medications, special diets or medical costs like routine blood work, chest x-ray, diabetes testing, adult diapers, physical therapy, occupational therapy, dental care, eye care, hospitalizations or doctor visits) it's not hard to see where end of life care adds up.
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I did not say good or bad ... merely bringing the info to the forum.

Someone piss in your Cheerios this morning ...
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

ROFLMAO Just for the record - I had nothing to do with MrP's breakfast today.

It's an interesting topic, Icy. I've read quite a bit about it and much of the medical costs incurred occurs at the very beginning or the very end of a life.

It is the most vunerable who are the most expensive, I suppose. Those coming in and those going out.

Things like diabetes and heart ailments and blood disorders are expensive, also, I am not denying that - but simply getting old can be hideously expensive medically speaking. Especially if something happens where you are unable to care for yourself or are too ill to have a family member assist you.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -13

I remember an interview with R Romer ex gov of CO. He said that 50% of a person's health care cost for their lifetime was incurred over the last 6 months of life. My in-laws and parents have had living wills, 2 of them have passed and lived as home with hospice care and the necessary painkillers (cancer). They didn't want to end up being veggies living on life support, Their spouses were happy with their choices, as they were.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

A living will is only good if you have a terminal disease.....old age is not considered a disease no matter how terminal it's going to be.

Nursing homes are full of people who have living wills, PF13....but they were unfortunate enough to suffer from diseases such as Altzheimers or they've lost limbs due to diabetes or they've had strokes which incapacitated them but did not kill them...or they are blind or paralyzed or they are in relatively good health but are simply so old and frail that they can no longer live alone and they have no families or their family members are unable to care for them at home for whatever reason.

Most people in nursing homes are not "veggies living on life support." In fact, most nursing homes do not even have the capabilities of caring for people on life support systems.

They are simply sick - with non-fatal diseases. If your parents or in-laws had hospice care then you are aware that hospice only cares for people who've been given less than a year to live and who are diagnosed with an incurable disease.

There are tens of thousands of people in nursing homes who do not fit that criteria.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

Euthanasia can be cost effective..
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I have it all in writing to make it as easy as possible for my family to send me into the unknown. To me it's easy - I'd rather live (X) amount of decent years rather than have it all ruined by (X+Y) amount of years where (Y) equates being a tremendous burden and/or life as a shell. If you live your life right and do good by your friends and family it should be more than enough to say you spent your time on earth well. Why spend tremendous amounts of money keeping my shell alive - pictures and memories can do that far cheaper.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

I agree...and yet there is a huge percentage of the population who insist that all life is sacred at all costs and who have fought all the way to The Supreme Court to force families and doctors to sustain life by feeding tube in a brain dead individual.

And, once again, let me point out that a living will only works in certain situations. They do not work in cases of old age or non-fatal but debilitating and costly diseases.

I had an aunt who spent 7 years on a nursing home. Her health was perfect, she was able to eat, drink, talk, read the paper, watch television and hold an intelligent conversation. She was, however, unable to move without excruciating pain due to severe bone degeneration which had eaten holes in her spinal column and destroyed the long bones in her legs and the joints in her shoulders.

But her heart was strong, her lungs were good and her general health was excellent. She simply existed in horrible pain when and if she tried to move.

So we administered pain killers - but her living will did her no good. There was nothing unusual being done to preserve her life. No antibiotics to quit, no feeding tube to remove, no respirator to take away.

She was ready to die, she wanted to die but there was nothing going on which would cause her death. She even refused all antibiotics and breathing treatments during a bout of pneumonia - and yet she survived it and lived another 4 years.

Euthenasia is not a valid option - and assisted suicide is not readily available in the great majority of The United States.

Sometimes it just takes a long time to die no matter how well you think you've planned to avoid taking the time.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 6 / -8

Compare and contrast with our recent health care debate:

- back then, it was terrible if your insurance paid for you to discuss living wills... which was characterized as a "death panel."

Now, one of our best parroters of the "death panel" meme smugly informs us that his parents have living wills.

- back then, euthenasia was "the E word," and end-of-life care was off the proverbial table.

Now, we are all concerned with how much this care costs.

Back then, all life was sacred. Now, well, we have to think about all those tough choices.

Back then, Pubbies told government health care seniors that government health care would undermine their government health care.

Now, it all has to go. Here's a coupon. Have a nice day.

Sorry Icy, but you wonder why I get cranky?

PFnV
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Bottle of Jack and a double-barrel sawed-off.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +125 / 7 / -13

The government didn't order them to have a living will it was their choice.....:rolleyes:
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

Agree completely last thing I want to be is sitting in a rocking chair in diapers staring into space on some foreign porch, while listening to Bob Dylan on my IPOD.. let me go with dignity, and if they do not let it happen I will will myself to death.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

The insurance will be voided..
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What insurance? I don't have regular life insurance...just for that reason. I have been saving for my kids in different ways. I just need another ten years and I can check out if I have to. There's no way in hell that I'm getting hooked up to a machine or living the last years of my life in excruciating pain or some sort of degenerative brain disease. No way in hell. Hopefully I have lived a good enough life to have more than one friend or relative who will help me if I need it.
  17. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Suicide exclusion clauses are typically only for the first two years of a policy.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -22

You learn something new every day.. never knew that will check it out.
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

OT: except when it's the government doing the killing, of course
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

That's basically how a family member (not immediate family) did it... but not in old age.

It would probably be different for somebody who was sick or elderly, but the big problem with suicide is the havoc it wreaks on the remaining family.