PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Non-Patriots you would want on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one surprised that Jason Witten has shown up on two of these lists? I mean, nice player, but one of the top 5 sought-after guys in the league??

Other than Fitzgerald the only receiver I would want here to fit in with what he already have would actually be at the TE position...Thats Dallas Clark - He would be perfect in this offense and is as clutch as it gets and would send Watson packing which is not something I would be sad over.

Last edited:
Chad Jackson
Ken Walter
Shockmain Davis
Grey Ruegammer
Garrett Mills

Other than Fitzgerald the only receiver I would want here to fit in with what he already have would actually be at the TE position...Thats Dallas Clark - He would be perfect in this offense and is as clutch as it gets and would send Watson packing which is not something I would be sad over.

Dallas Clark does not impress me much. I think he is one of a long line of TEs that just amass some catches because their QBs like to throw to the TE, and they have good WRs outside. Not saying he is awful, but the best thing to be said about him is the # of catches and I think that has more to do with the other 10 players on the field creating his opportunity than it does with him. The Colts can plug a lot of people in to that offense at TE and get similar results IMO.

To be honest and some may think I am crazy, but Drew Brees would be my pick over P. Manning at this point - He is much younger and can light up the scoreboard with receivers like we have.

Well, the question is are you looking for someone now or someone who is still at a top level 4-5 years from now. I think Manning could light up the offense as much as Brees could right now, I would bet more.

1. Jake Long, LT
2. Patrick Willis, ILB
3. Andre Johnson, WR
4. Antonio Cromartie, CB
5. almost any starting NFL OLB to replace Pierre Woods.

-SS Troy Polamalu
-OLB DeMarcus Ware
-MLB Patrick Willis
-OT Ryan Clady
-WR Larry Fitzgerald

Just Missed: RB Maurice Jones-Drew

Am I the only one surprised that Jason Witten has shown up on two of these lists? I mean, nice player, but one of the top 5 sought-after guys in the league??

He's extremely versatile: does all of the things that Belichick looks for, and he wouldn't have invested multiple first round picks into the position this decade if he didn't think that it was important to get exactly that.

I'm assuming of course that there is no salary cap, or even a team budget to be concerned with in regards to this list, correct?

DeMarcus Ware
Jake Long
Jon Beason
Ed Reed
Nnamdi Asomugha

I picked Reed rather than Polamalu because I think Chung will turn out to be a good SS, and Reed is a bigger upgrade over Sanders in the long run. Beason could easily be replaced by Willis for the ILB position; same goes with Clady for Long at OT.

I left off running backs such as Adrian Peterson and wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson only because I felt they would improve those positions less than other players at other positions would - though it sure would be fun to watch the Pats offense with them on the team too.

Since we were playing in this fantasyland of no budget and no salary cap I almost included a QB, but went for a CB instead for the final pick.

I'm assuming of course that there is no salary cap, or even a team budget to be concerned with in regards to this list, correct?

DeMarcus Ware
Jake Long
Jon Beason
Ed Reed
Nnamdi Asomugha

I picked Reed rather than Polamalu because I think Chung will turn out to be a good SS, and Reed is a bigger upgrade over Sanders in the long run. Beason could easily be replaced by Willis for the ILB position; same goes with Clady for Long at OT.

I left off running backs such as Adrian Peterson and wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson only because I felt they would improve those positions less than other players at other positions would - though it sure would be fun to watch the Pats offense with them on the team too.

Since we were playing in this fantasyland of no budget and no salary cap I almost included a QB, but went for a CB instead for the final pick.

Good call on Beason, he'd be better than Dansby. Going to go ahead and gank your pick.

ILB patrick willis
RG shawn andrews
OLB james harrison
TE jason witten
WR larry fitzgerald

Dallas Clark does not impress me much. I think he is one of a long line of TEs that just amass some catches because their QBs like to throw to the TE, and they have good WRs outside. Not saying he is awful, but the best thing to be said about him is the # of catches and I think that has more to do with the other 10 players on the field creating his opportunity than it does with him. The Colts can plug a lot of people in to that offense at TE and get similar results IMO.

I know he is on a great offensive team and that may showcase him as a better athlete per say,but can you think of a better TE in the game now that you would trust on 3rd and long to find an opening in a small zone if your receivers are well covered?

I really can't think of many right now and Gonzalez is on his way out so how many true clutch TEs are there? - The only one other than Clark I would go for is Gates and maybe Crumpler who has sporadic great games.

Troy Polamalu
DeMarcus Ware
Jason Witten
Ryan Clady
Patrick Willis

I know he is on a great offensive team and that may showcase him as a better athlete per say,but can you think of a better TE in the game now that you would trust on 3rd and long to find an opening in a small zone if your receivers are well covered?

I really can't think of many right now and Gonzalez is on his way out so how many true clutch TEs are there? - The only one other than Clark I would go for is Gates and maybe Crumpler who has sporadic great games.

Thats just the thing though, I dont think his #s are a reflection of his ability but more a reflection of the style of offense. I've rarely seen TEs that make their own opportunities. Their routes are typical run off of the WRs routes, and their route is designed to go to the area vacated by covering the WRs. In other words, a TE being open is more a result of play design that of his ability.

Interestingly, prior to last year, Clarks stats and Ben Watson stats for the previous 3 years were very similar:

Clark 125 to 114 catches Watson 1473 to 1471 in yards Watson 12.9 to 11.8 ypc but Clark 19 to 13 in TDs.
Now last year was a big difference with Clark having his most productive year, and Watson his least, but going from Tom Brady to Matt Cassel surely affects that.

We have not even begun to discuss Clarks weakness as a blocker either.

Ware, Peppers, Cromartie, Ed Reed, Palumalu.

In honor of the our Defense that needs more playmakers. I think offense is pretty good, the last two years. ok probably swap Palumalu with A.Petereson

Last edited:
OL--Joe Thomas
TE--Owen Daniels

OLB--DeMarcus Ware
CB--Nnamdi Asomugha

P--Brian Moorman

if that's all you want him for, maybe......but I would take witten.....better target who can block

Chad Jackson
Ken Walter
Shockmain Davis
Grey Ruegammer
Garrett Mills
There's some good potential there.

One day to retirement signings:
Willie McGinest
Rodney Harrison
Hank Poteat (King of the Bongos)
Ty Law
Jonathon Ogden (we need to get that tradition going again)

Dallas Clark does not impress me much.
Leg snap!

Stop taking off your glove when you're about to halfback pass, Andy. I wrestled at Okemos, Michigan, with your nephew.

Jason Whitten

Demarcus Ware

Patrick Willis

Ed Reed

Jason Peters

#6 L Fitzgerald

Ty Law
Willie McGinest
Asante Samuel
Adam Vinatieri
Mike Vrabel

(Mostly kidding, of course, but we've let some pretty good guys go.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back