PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Guys I would like to get everyone's thoughts on

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been putting together my scouting profiles (you may have read some of my other threads on those) but I thought rather than continue doing each position, I would mix it up and give you my thoughts on 5 guys that have stuck out to me or I could use some additional help on. So here are the 1st five that have stuck out to me.

1. Dominick Easley, DT-
Positives: Great burst off of snap. Relentless motor and pursuit. Constant disruption in the backfield despite double teams. Has a variety of pass rush moves. Good balance and footwork. Stays low and gets under blockers.

Negatives: Not great size and weight for the position and scheme. Multiple knee injuries. Needs to keep his eyes up and on the play, can loose where the ball is because he is working so hard to get through blockers. Over aggressiveness has cost him from making plays.

2. Jimmy Ward, S
Positives: Fluid athlete for the safety position. Looks like he could play corner with how he is able to flip his hips and run with receivers. A willing tackler who can hold his own against the run. Good hands. Seems to be a leader on the field. My favorite S in this class.

Negatives: More of the FS type that I am not sure the Patriots necessarily need, but I think could play the role of SS if asked to. Size and bulk are on the small size.

3. Kyle Fuller, CB
Positives: . Good height, weight, and length., great fundamentals and footwork. Above average in run support. Agressive in pass defense. Recognizes routes and makes plays. Tapes shows him playing multiple positions, including some LB and S. Very versitile.

Negatives: Some durability issues. May get a little too aggresive sometimes which could lead to his fair share of PI calls. Timed speed does not always show up on film. Looks to freelance a bit out there.

4. Phillip Gaines, CB
Positives: Intriguing size, weight, speed, length guy. Scheme diverse. Good footwork and play recognition. Very good coverage skills and ability to stay with the ball when in the air without loosing speed or his man.

Negatives: Lanky corner who could benefit from adding some bulk. Not a great tackler and seems to be not overly interested in run support.

5. Trai Turner, OG
Positives: Wide body with good bubble and strength. Sneaky athletic and can pull. Has long arms and uses them well to keep defenders from getting into him. Great run blocker and has the ability to get to the second level and will continue to block through the whistle. Has a mean steak on the field.

Negatives: Stuggles against speedier pass rushers. Can get a little off balance when dealing with rushers who get low on him. Needs to improve his overall pass protection. Does not move as well when going side to side as he does going forward.

So those are 5 guys that stood out to me that haven't been brought up as much in threads for potential patriots. I think they all have potential to be great players for the Patriots and I would love to hear if anyone else is as high on these guys or if you think I am crazy on being high on these guys, tell me why? I would love to get a good conversation going on any one of these guys.

Also, a name I picked up on in another thread was Terrence Fede. His size and numbers intrigue me, but I can only find a few highlight tapes.(Which are extremely impressive, BTW) I would love to see more of him to make a more educated assesment of him, so if anyone has any games of his, please share.:D

Hi all,
I have been putting together my scouting profiles (you may have read some of my other threads on those) but I thought rather than continue doing each position, I would mix it up and give you my thoughts on 5 guys that have stuck out to me or I could use some additional help on. So here are the 1st five that have stuck out to me.

1. Dominick Easley, DT-
Positives: Great burst off of snap. Relentless motor and pursuit. Constant disruption in the backfield despite double teams. Has a variety of pass rush moves. Good balance and footwork. Stays low and gets under blockers.

Negatives: Not great size and weight for the position and scheme. Multiple knee injuries. Needs to keep his eyes up and on the play, can loose where the ball is because he is working so hard to get through blockers. Over aggressiveness has cost him from making plays.

2. Jimmy Ward, S
Positives: Fluid athlete for the safety position. Looks like he could play corner with how he is able to flip his hips and run with receivers. A willing tackler who can hold his own against the run. Good hands. Seems to be a leader on the field. My favorite S in this class.

Negatives: More of the FS type that I am not sure the Patriots necessarily need, but I think could play the role of SS if asked to. Size and bulk are on the small size.

3. Kyle Fuller, CB
Positives: . Good height, weight, and length., great fundamentals and footwork. Above average in run support. Agressive in pass defense. Recognizes routes and makes plays. Tapes shows him playing multiple positions, including some LB and S. Very versitile.

Negatives: Some durability issues. May get a little too aggresive sometimes which could lead to his fair share of PI calls. Timed speed does not always show up on film. Looks to freelance a bit out there.

4. Phillip Gaines, CB
Positives: Intriguing size, weight, speed, length guy. Scheme diverse. Good footwork and play recognition. Very good coverage skills and ability to stay with the ball when in the air without loosing speed or his man.

Negatives: Lanky corner who could benefit from adding some bulk. Not a great tackler and seems to be not overly interested in run support.

5. Trai Turner, OG
Positives: Wide body with good bubble and strength. Sneaky athletic and can pull. Has long arms and uses them well to keep defenders from getting into him. Great run blocker and has the ability to get to the second level and will continue to block through the whistle. Has a mean steak on the field.

Negatives: Stuggles against speedier pass rushers. Can get a little off balance when dealing with rushers who get low on him. Needs to improve his overall pass protection. Does not move as well when going side to side as he does going forward.

So those are 5 guys that stood out to me that haven't been brought up as much in threads for potential patriots. I think they all have potential to be great players for the Patriots and I would love to hear if anyone else is as high on these guys or if you think I am crazy on being high on these guys, tell me why? I would love to get a good conversation going on any one of these guys.

Also, a name I picked up on in another thread was Terrence Fede. His size and numbers intrigue me, but I can only find a few highlight tapes.(Which are extremely impressive, BTW) I would love to see more of him to make a more educated assesment of him, so if anyone has any games of his, please share.:D

It's a great list, but you must not read the draft list very much if you think those 5 guys haven't been brought up very much (and also Terrance Fede). Each of those guys has been extensively discussed, and are among the favorites of many on this board. I would suggest you look at some of the recent board discussion - just do a search on these guys and you'll see plenty of discussion. Or, for starters:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/1106517-official-binkie-thread.html
riots/messageboard/13/1097184-my-blueprint-defense.html (see especially post 801, and post 809 and subsequent discussion)

easly has never watched an entire nfl game... says "i have a life outside of football" and has never seen more than 2 qtrs of the Super Bowl because he would rather watch cartoons.

NOT a patriot player. BB wouldn't draft him. He wants guys who study hard and make football their life

easly has never watched an entire nfl game... says "i have a life outside of football" and has never seen more than 2 qtrs of the Super Bowl because he would rather watch cartoons.

NOT a patriot player. BB wouldn't draft him. He wants guys who study hard and make football their life

:bricks:

Tom Brady didn't watch the SB either, and enjoys an active life outside of football. We should dump him. NOT a patriot player, obviously.

:bricks:

Tom Brady didn't watch the SB either, and enjoys an active life outside of football. We should dump him. NOT a patriot player, obviously.

The difference is Tom Brady doesn't watch the Super Bowl because he's still pissed that the Pats aren't there. Easley doesn't watch because he's just not that interested in football. I agree with MrNathanDrake, I don't see BB taking this guy, especially with his other issues (multiple knee injuries and limitations as a base DT). I love him as an interior sub rusher, but I don't think his value to this team matches up to his value in the draft.

The difference is Tom Brady doesn't watch the Super Bowl because he's still pissed that the Pats aren't there. Easley doesn't watch because he's just not that interested in football. I agree with MrNathanDrake, I don't see BB taking this guy, especially with his other issues (multiple knee injuries and limitations as a base DT). I love him as an interior sub rusher, but I don't think his value to this team matches up to his value in the draft.

No, he doesn't watch because he's just not that interested in watching football. There's a difference.

Dominique Easley- I dont really like to watch football, I just like to play | Video | 11alive.com

Hi all,

1. Dominick Easley, DT-

2. Jimmy Ward, S

3. Kyle Fuller, CB

4. Phillip Gaines, CB

5. Trai Turner, OG

Any list with Kyle Fuller and Jimmie Ward on it is a great list. I have been a big fan of both since before the last college season started and both are in my top 5 favourite prospects for this year. Just one note, can people stop calling him JIMMY Ward, the correct spelling is JiMMIE. Thank you.

We both agree on our evaluations, I particularly agree with your assessment on Dominique Easley, I was talking about how he buries his head yesterday. Nice to get that confirmation from elsewhere. My only critique is that you called Kyle fuller as "above-average" in run support. This is nit-picking but I think he's even better than that. He's the best I've seen in run support.

He's the best I've seen in run support.

You obviously haven't seen my Run Support.
harumph.gif

It's a great list, but you must not read the draft list very much if you think those 5 guys haven't been brought up very much (and also Terrance Fede). Each of those guys has been extensively discussed, and are among the favorites of many on this board. I would suggest you look at some of the recent board discussion - just do a search on these guys and you'll see plenty of discussion. Or, for starters:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/1106517-official-binkie-thread.html
riots/messageboard/13/1097184-my-blueprint-defense.html (see especially post 801, and post 809 and subsequent discussion)

LOL! I started writing this piece awhile back and actually decided to post it because I had seen the names popping up quite a bit. Just forgot to change the 1st paragraph. I got so excited to get it out in the world that I skipped re-reading the fluff up top and only concentrated on the good stuff. I am glad to see that there is some support for these guys.

I would say his play on the field tells a completely different story. For a D-lineman, he is one of the most relentless guys I have watched in awhile. He may not like to watch football, but he certainly seems to love playing football.

LOL! I started writing this piece awhile back and actually decided to post it because I had seen the names popping up quite a bit. Just forgot to change the 1st paragraph. I got so excited to get it out in the world that I skipped re-reading the fluff up top and only concentrated on the good stuff. I am glad to see that there is some support for these guys.

That makes more sense. You have very good taste. :rocker:

FWIW:

- Easley is my #2 overall prospect after Aaron Donald.
- Kyle Fuller and Phillip Gaines are probably my top 2 CB prospects. Both are 'risers' - Fuller will likely go Day 1, Gaines day 2. I don't really want to go CB that early given our FA investment, but they are great players.
- Jimmy Ward is the best rangy FS in the draft, in the Earl Thomas/Devin McCourty role. Give that we have McCourty, I'm not sure his skill set is the best fit for what we need, but he's a great player.
- Trai Turner is one of my top 5 interior OL prospects, along with Brandon Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Marcus Martin and Weston Richburg. I have a feeling he'll rise to be a solid day 2 pick by the time the draft rolls around.
- Terrance Fede is my top base DE sleeper prospect, and a day 3 binky.

You've hit on a high percentage of my favorite prospects in this draft. I'd also include Christian Jones, Jordan Tripp, Antone Exum, Trey Millard, and Gator Hoskins.

That makes more sense. You have very good taste. :rocker:

FWIW:

- Easley is my #2 overall prospect after Aaron Donald.
- Kyle Fuller and Phillip Gaines are probably my top 2 CB prospects. Both are 'risers' - Fuller will likely go Day 1, Gaines day 2. I don't really want to go CB that early given our FA investment, but they are great players.
- Jimmy Ward is the best rangy FS in the draft, in the Earl Thomas/Devin McCourty role. Give that we have McCourty, I'm not sure his skill set is the best fit for what we need, but he's a great player.
- Trai Turner is one of my top 5 interior OL prospects, along with Brandon Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Marcus Martin and Weston Richburg. I have a feeling he'll rise to be a solid day 2 pick by the time the draft rolls around.
- Terrance Fede is my top base DE sleeper prospect, and a day 3 binky.

You've hit on a high percentage of my favorite prospects in this draft. I'd also include Christian Jones, Jordan Tripp, Antone Exum, Trey Millard, and Gator Hoskins.

Whoaaa! Mayo, get out of my head! Sounds like we have a lot in common when it comes to this draft. You probably have written somewhere your thoughts on Ryan Shazier, and I probably have read them, but after a while all these threads and thoughts start to run together. He was going to be on my next list of 5.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this forum!

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this forum!

:confused:

Could you be more clear?

You've had a tremendous influence on this forum, and I think I've given you full credit for the many cases in which you've been far ahead of me.

:confused:

Could you be more clear?

You've had a tremendous influence on this forum, and I think I've given you full credit for the many cases in which you've been far ahead of me.

I don't have an issue with you Mayo, you have always been fair. Don't worry about it.

I don't have an issue with you Mayo, you have always been fair. Don't worry about it.

OK, but please keep on "bothering". I for one rely tremendously on your eagle eye, and on your independent evaluation and judgment to keep me honest (or at least, closer to honest than I would otherwise be).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back