PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 FAs: who stays, who goes?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I know it is about 10 months early, but who will stay and who will go out of the 5 big FAs. Seymour?? Branch?? Koppen?? Graham?? Samuel?? Not really interested in reasoning or who would fans like to keep...(ALL) but who will be with the team and who will not be. Just that simple....
My guess...Seymour, Branch and Samuel all stay...Koppen and Graham gone...

5 FA's

Based on this year, anyone not signed to a contract extension before the

start of this season (except Seymour) gone. Seymour will be franchised

one time.

Pats726 said:
I know it is about 10 months early, but who will stay and who will go out of the 5 big FAs. Seymour?? Branch?? Koppen?? Graham?? Samuel?? Not really interested in reasoning or who would fans like to keep...(ALL) but who will be with the team and who will not be. Just that simple....

Good post.....I think we keep Seymour, Branch and Samuel. I also think we keep Graham, he seems to really like it here and is one hell of a blocker, our coaches seem to like him.
I do agree Koppen will be gone.

Why do you think Koppen will be gone????

Jimke said:
Based on this year, anyone not signed to a contract extension before the

start of this season (except Seymour) gone. Seymour will be franchised

one time.
So you think all others will be gone??

Pats726 said:

Koppen and Samuel will stay...all the others will be gone.

Ochmed Jones said:
I believe he has expressed a desire to play close to home PA..Eagles..I think that may be the large driving desire

Ochmed Jones said:

Unsubstantiated story a few months ago supposedly coming from a Koppen relative that he's going to want big,big money from the Pats to stay and that the only hometown discount he would possibly give would be to the Eagles since he's a Philadelphia boy.

(Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what I read here a while back.) :rolleyes:

edzo44 said:
Unsubstantiated story a few months ago supposedly coming from a Koppen relative that he's going to want big,big money from the Pats to stay and that the only hometown discount he would possibly give would be to the Eagles since he's a Philadelphia boy.

(Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what I read here a while back.) :rolleyes:
I wasn't sure where that was from..I do think I have heard that repeated by more than once (other sources)....but it maybe the case..maybe not..maybe the relative is an Eagle fan...interesting that tehy didn't sign Bentley this year..

Last edited:
5 FA's

Probably all gone but Seymour.

The days of the home town discounts appear to be over.

Outside of drafted players, many of the Pats signings are players over 30

years old with minimal bonus money. They shy away from players who

have just finished their rookie contract since they usually demand and

get the most money.

how old is samuel now

Why anyone would think, even for a second, that the Patriots will not re-sign Deion Branch is beyond me. He's a YOUNG, elite player. They don't let those go. I believe Seymour will stay, as well. Asante - maybe. Graham - maybe. Koppen - GONE.

Unfortunately, this is where the Belioli-style of picking talented players comes back to bite the team in the ass. They were amazing at identifying starter-level talent like Samuel (a 4th?) Koppen (a 6th), Branch (a late 2, if I remember), Givens (7th).

So they got these great players on the cheap, and each one has outplayed their contract -- Branch and Koppen to a tremendous degree. Don't get me wrong, it's the fact that these guys are so good, but so inexpensive, that allows us to sign a guy like Dillon, who was instrumental to one of our Super Bowls.

But now what do you do? You've got players who were all expecting to be taken care of after outperforming their rookie deals -- but now they're all expecting to be taken care of AT THE SAME TIME. Any hemming or hawing, or if Samuel gets more than Koppen, etc. and it's easy for these guys to feel unappreciated, and head straight for free agency, where they have watched guys like Givens get *more* than their fair share.

It's going to be tough keeping this team together, that's for sure.

It sounds like Seymour has already worked a deal that will be signed come august. Branch will likely be resigned as well, I think he is more than just talk in regard to wanting to be a patriot long term, and Im sure he knows that what he and Brady have together is something special. He'll sign for good money, but I dont see him demanding a top 5 contract.

I really dont know about Samuel, I dont feel like he's a player that would demand a ton of attention on the open market. That being said he might opt to leave for a couple million more.

Graham is gone unless he takes a discount, as he's good but keeping Ben Watson for the long term is more important at TE. I really hope he sticks around though, if they start working some double TE formations more that opens up some posibilities that would scare me as an opposing player.

Like you guys are saying, Koppen is gone. :( It wouldnt shock me if they drafted a C at some point this year.

Last edited:
I think after reading his interview with Tomase that Branch may realize he is not an Elite #1 but could carve out a very nice living as a #1 on a team that strives to spread the ball around and help him get open. Of course that's provided they can continue to do that this season.

I think Seymour has had one foot out the door since last July. But if or when he goes it will involve draft picks and it will be sooner rather than later. He won't play here under a tag. Not sure he plays more than the requisite number of games here this season without an extension. Holdouts hurt players less entering FA than repetitive injuries do.

I think this season is huge for Asante since he won't have a market anywhere unless he shows he's at least the player of 2004 and not 2005 consistently. If he looks improved and consistent early he may get his this year.

Koppen's options may be vastly different also following his injury. Will depend on when and how he comes back. If he's 100% early in the season he likely goes to market. If he struggles early but looks to be able to regain his form they may try to extend him early while his stock is lower.

Graham is another player long rumored to have harbored a somewhat inflated value perspective. I doubt we keep 2 potential bg ticket TE's, but again his future depends to some extent on how well he AND Watson play this season. Graham has been a tad injury prone while Watson has remained wildly inconsistent. But if Watson remains inconsistent and Graham's durability is not an issue in 2006 he may get his here. While if Watson finally puts it all together Graham won't have a prayer of getting his big deal here.

I don't think they franchise anyone except as a means to tag and trade them. That would be the exclusive tag and I only see them using that for a Seymour.

It looks like BB will spend money on Seymour and Branch, but I'm guessing that Koppen, Samuel and Graham all leave in FA. At most, one of the three cuts will re-sign for mediocre money... in the same way that we lost almost all our UFAs, except Stephen Neal who tested the market and came back.

rookBoston said:
It looks like BB will spend money on Seymour and Branch, but I'm guessing that Koppen, Samuel and Graham all leave in FA. At most, one of the three cuts will re-sign for mediocre money... in the same way that we lost almost all our UFAs, except Stephen Neal who tested the market and came back.
I tend to agree..but I think there is an outside shot we will only lose 1..but again, Big Sey could be the one out the door.

Koppen depends on how he returns from injury.

Graham depends on how much he demands (although drafted in Round 1 he is not among the best all purpose TEs in the league and won't be offered such money)

Branch I expect to see back because I believe he is smart enough to accept what he knows he is worth - the average to above average money made by #1 receivers.

I'm optimistic Seymour will be back - a rare case when the Patriots overpay, made possible by their current frugality, as they know he makes average defensive players appear above average for all the attention and disruption he causes.

Samuel may decide to try the free market regardless of what the Patriots offer. I like him and want him back, feeling he has lots of potential - but potential is the big card that Samuel has to pay and not having had a big payday yet, he will likely want to give other teams a chance to overpay him based on his potential.

I wouldn't count Koppen as a sure thing gonner.

First of all, you cannot say he's going to Philly just because he's from the area and has (reportedly) said he'd like to play there. Would there be mutual interest ? Does his skill set fit with teh Eagles line ?

He's done avery nice job here, but I just don't see the world beating a path to sign Dan Koppen. There would have to be an opening AND it would have to be a team looking for his style of play. He'll probably get some interest, but will someone want to pay him enough to entice him away from a comfortable situation here ? I'd say about 50-50.

So since most everyone sems to feel Koppen will jump ship, does it make sense to trade for Faine and sign him to a cap freindly deal now that his value is depressed. Just as insurance of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back