PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Best Defensive Free Agents for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCPatriot

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots: 5 Defensive Free Agent Targets in 2011 NFL Offseason

I didn't see this posted anywhere and its actually pretty spot on.

1. Nnamdi Asomugha
2. Marcus Spears
3. Cullen Jenkins
4. Mike Vrabel
5. LaMarr Woodley

I don't think it will happen but Vrabel being back might not be such a bad idea, for anyone. Someone to teach Cunningham and another possibly rookie LB the ropes all while providing leadership and experience.

Woodley, imo would be great! He is still a very effective playmaker, and for the right price, but I guess it depends on if Pittsburgh re-signs him. Spears and Jenkins seem like upgrades from Ron Brace, Pryor and maybe Wright but I think sticking with those guys for now is the best option.

As for Asomugha, I don't see it making very much sense. Bodden is coming back, and with McCourty on the other side, that a pretty good duo. If Asomugha was picked up, he would HAVE to get valuable reps, reps that will most likely be taken away from McCoury, maybe even Bodden. I just don't see it happening.

Discuss.

Vrabel will be a great new weapon for Brady in the backfield. :O

Last edited:
Isn't Richard Seymour an free agent this year?

Isn't Richard Seymour an free agent this year?

He has already said he would go to 31 teams and guess which one he said he wouldn't go to.

Last edited:
He has already said he would go to 31 teams and guess which one he said he wouldn't go to.

Ummmmmmmmm ours? Can't say I blame him though......

Cullen Jenkins on the Pats would be pretty badass.

I don't want to see the team die with a bunch of short-term deals for aging players, but there is one out there that just makes too much sense to pass up.

Champ Bailey.

Hard to believe he doesn't feel that window closing and doesn't believe he could make a huge difference with the Pats. How about a 2 year, $11M contract. If Bodden comes back, that's McCourty-Bodden-Bailey. That's a better set of d-backs than the Jets had last year, and it would even rival the Packers. Not bad if you have Butler and Arrington as depth players.

from that list, I'll take Woodley without a doubt over the other 4.

Out of those players Woodley would be my 1st choice and Jenkins a not too distant 2nd.

Last edited:
I don't get Spears or Vrabel as a top 5 guy. I don't see how either would be better than, say, Ngata or Hali, for example.

I don't get Spears or Vrabel as a top 5 guy. I don't see how either would be better than, say, Ngata or Hali, for example.
Well, it is an article from Bleacher Report.

I would give a year off he end of my life for either of those guys to wind up on the Pats.

Hali is easily the #1 defensive free agent for the Pats

Yeah, the only way his list could come close to making sense is by adding "who won't be franchised" to it. (But IS there even a franchise tag? Last I heard it that was unclear at best.)

Woodley would be a godsend, so would jenkins.

Jenkins and Woodley are the only two there I could see happening.

1. Nnamdi Asomugha
2. Marcus Spears
3. Cullen Jenkins
4. Mike Vrabel
5. LaMarr Woodley

I don't think it will happen but Vrabel being back might not be such a bad idea, for anyone. Someone to teach Cunningham and another possibly rookie LB the ropes all while providing leadership and experience.

Woodley, imo would be great! He is still a very effective playmaker, and for the right price, but I guess it depends on if Pittsburgh re-signs him. Spears and Jenkins seem like upgrades from Ron Brace, Pryor and maybe Wright but I think sticking with those guys for now is the best option.

As for Asomugha, I don't see it making very much sense. Bodden is coming back, and with McCourty on the other side, that a pretty good duo. If Asomugha was picked up, he would HAVE to get valuable reps, reps that will most likely be taken away from McCoury, maybe even Bodden. I just don't see it happening.

Discuss.

I would say Bodden coming back is awesome but if you have a chance to pick up Asomugha as long as you dont break the bank but very fair market value and chance to and pair him up with McCourty and put Bodden in nickel sorry Butler but that would be one nasty secondary and address our pass rush needs though the draft or trade with our picks

1. Nnamdi Asomugha
2. Marcus Spears
3. Cullen Jenkins
4. Mike Vrabel
5. LaMarr Woodley

Discuss.

I don't see the Pats adding anyone from that list. Spears, Jenkins and Woodley I expect will be franchised.. Vrabel, I expect he'll retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes