PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5/24 OTA Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole Ocho Cinco saga just saddens me. I know a lot of you guys wanted him to fail ,Lord knows why. He seemed genuinely happy to be a part of the team I love,it was refreshing after the way Moss left. Just sad it hasn't worked out.

Another link on observations from CSNNE. Mostly the same. Did confirm that it was LG Gallery was playing, not one of the tackles. All the other guards not named Cannon were rotating at RG sans Waters. Must have been Cannon at RT then since Vollmer was out.

Observations from Patriots OTAs

The whole Ocho Cinco saga just saddens me. I know a lot of you guys wanted him to fail ,Lord knows why. He seemed genuinely happy to be a part of the team I love,it was refreshing after the way Moss left. Just sad it hasn't worked out.

I don't think anyone wanted him to fail. No reason to. I think some of us questioned the system fit on one or more levels. At this point I think some fans are just done with it and him. This is supposed to be a meritocracy where everyone is personally accountable. $6M in sunk cost already for 15 receptions by a guy who still requires attendants to line him up... And it's become this season a matter of who do you root for to make the club from among a much broader range of potential WR's, some of whom have already proven they can function at a pretty high level within the system.

I don't think anyone wanted him to fail. No reason to. I think some of us questioned the system fit on one or more levels. At this point I think some fans are just done with it and him. This is supposed to be a meritocracy where everyone is personally accountable. $6M in sunk cost already for 15 receptions by a guy who still requires attendants to line him up... And it's become this season a matter of who do you root for to make the club from among a much broader range of potential WR's, some of whom have already proven they can function at a pretty high level within the system.

c'mon....you wanted him to fail, just like you want mallett to fail

I can't speak for others, but while I have never been an Ochocinco fan, I wanted him to succeed, just as I do for anyone wearing the Pats' laundry.

Unfortunately, at this point it appears that he HAS, indeed, failed, and it's time to move on.

I understand that jumping offsides in an OTA is no cause for people to call for someone's head, but after a full year of having to be told where to line up, and having very limited production, what makes you think he will suddenly start "getting it", when other players come in and pick up the system, and produce, in a relatively short time?

He certainly isn't the only guy who has had trouble "getting it", but the Pats cut ties with the others sooner than they have with Chad, and it won't be any different in this case.

If the Pats were desperate for WRs it might be different, as reports are that his work ethic and attitude have been exemplary, but the fact is, we are already looking at having to make some tough cuts at WR, and there doesn't seem much reason to keep Chad based on what he is producing on the field.

BB likes and respects Chad, and with a player like that, he will generally cut him loose earlier, rather than later, to give him an opportunity to catch on elsewhere.

If Ocho is still on the roster after the first cutdown I will be very surprised.

The Ras-I Dowling reports seem to be contradictory, I don't really like that at all.

it is relatively typical for rookies who wind up having lost rookie seasons via IR to wind up being non-contributors.

the good news in this instance is the relatively low number of draft picks, so there's plenty of resources typically dedicated to rookies.

it would complicate things for him if dennard shows up and plays to the level of where he was expected to be drafted prior to getting into trouble.

I expected Stinco to fail....right from the start. To this day, I can't fathom what BB saw in him. The guy was a pin head and a distraction throughout his Bengal career. He embodied the me-first personna above team, coach and QB every chance he got. The final kicker was how TO became the best Bengals WR the moment he stepped on the field in Cincy. The signs were always there...and either BB missed them or ignored him. Maybe it was a desperation move on part of the Pats. Six mill???

Mallet's 'struggles' set up an interesting hypothetical, assuming that the struggles are legitimate and continue:

With the disaster of the Kevin O'Connell drafting being so recent, would BB still be willing to pull the plug on another 3rd round QB in year two, or would he carry Mallet even if he thought it was a KOCII situation?

Mallet's 'struggles' set up an interesting hypothetical, assuming that the struggles are legitimate and continue:

With the disaster of the Kevin O'Connell drafting being so recent, would BB still be willing to pull the plug on another 3rd round QB in year two, or would he carry Mallet even if he thought it was a KOCII situation?

If Ryan Mallett continues to struggle and ends up failing like KOC, BB would hopefully trade him for atleast something to a stupid team.

Also, I think it would show that the Brady successor would end up being a late round/UDFA QB (Cassel, Hoyer) that was groomed in the system for a few years rather than a 1st/2nd round talent QB taken a year or two before Brady retires.

I say he'd pull it were it necessary, but why is it? Need somebody at #3 even a seeming KOC Release 2.0. But with a healthy Hoyer why waste team effort bring in some castoff to be #3 vs rolling the dice on The Hammer "getting it". That said I don't think any of us really view OTA misfires as indicating much. I'm eager to see how Mallet does at camp in person and in exhibition games this summah.

No worries...Mallet is locked in on the punt team.....its a copycat league and Sexy Rexy is a trailblazer in the QB/punt package

Nice post. I 2 short paragraphs you propose a player sucks after one report of an OTA practice that isn't very specific, and manage to imply that BB would make roster decisions based on what people may think of his drafting if he cuts a player. Think twice, post once.

I say he'd pull it were it necessary, but why is it? Need somebody at #3 even a seeming KOC Release 2.0. But with a healthy Hoyer why waste team effort bring in some castoff to be #3 vs rolling the dice on The Hammer "getting it". That said I don't think any of us really view OTA misfires as indicating much. I'm eager to see how Mallet does at camp in person and in exhibition games this summah.

I certainly don't, and we're talking about just one OTA anyway, which is why I put 'struggles' in the single quotations. Realistically, a few stray passes and an INT in one OTA is meaningless. I just thought it set up an interesting hypothetical. I'm glad I posted it, too, because it got me to thinking about the exhibition games, and how they might have more import this year because of the new limits on offseason activities.

Nice post. I 2 short paragraphs you propose a player sucks after one report of an OTA practice that isn't very specific, and manage to imply that BB would make roster decisions based on what people may think of his drafting if he cuts a player. Think twice, post once.

He didn't "propose" anything. There's no positive declaration, only a query based on a hypothetical. The fact that the evidence used to support said hypothetical is limited based on sample size isn't particularly relevant.

Why is Ebner working with the medical staff?

From the Hart OTA observations.

Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Matthew Slater and Nate Ebner did not take part in the practice but rather worked with the team medical staff both in Dana Farber Fieldhouse and on the side of the practice field. Gronkowski is rehabbing from offseason ankle surgery, while Ebner was also limited in his participation in rookie mini-camp.

Tebow used on punt protection, also throws 2 picks

Tim Tebow often appeared a step behind in the team's seven-on-seven drills and threw two interceptions on plays he later said were brand new.

Tebow later practiced as the up man in the punt formation, a role he said will be fun, and the Jets discussed with him in great detail.

Good..eff them both.

Let's begin the GFY/FTW tour part 2 right now, starting with both NY teams.

ROFL, ROFL! A harbinger of things to come for the Jets! We will DESTROY Tebow!

I think you can criticize the actually move to trade for Tebow but now that he is there I dont see where using him on the punt team is a bad thing.

He has great size and the idea of using him as a FB is pretty common thinking and it is very common for the punt protectors to be a FB so seems like a natural fit. Now start thinking about the added attention a team would need to give if Tebow was on the field for punts.

Again I question trading for A gimmick player in the first place but once he is there you should be coming up with interesting ways to use him.

I can really only think of 2 negatives to this 1) what if he beats out Sanchez as the starter (which isnt a negative so much as wasted effort) 2) You risk injuring your back up QB and leaving yourself with nothing behind Sanchez (which is where they were the last few years anyhow).

Why is Ebner working with the medical staff?

From the Hart OTA observations.

Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Matthew Slater and Nate Ebner did not take part in the practice but rather worked with the team medical staff both in Dana Farber Fieldhouse and on the side of the practice field. Gronkowski is rehabbing from offseason ankle surgery, while Ebner was also limited in his participation in rookie mini-camp.

Because he is hurt.

I think you can criticize the actually move to trade for Tebow but now that he is there I dont see where using him on the punt team is a bad thing.

He has great size and the idea of using him as a FB is pretty common thinking and it is very common for the punt protectors to be a FB so seems like a natural fit. Now start thinking about the added attention a team would need to give if Tebow was on the field for punts.

Again I question trading for A gimmick player in the first place but once he is there you should be coming up with interesting ways to use him.

I can really only think of 2 negatives to this 1) what if he beats out Sanchez as the starter (which isnt a negative so much as wasted effort) 2) You risk injuring your back up QB and leaving yourself with nothing behind Sanchez (which is where they were the last few years anyhow).

Agreed- Tebow as a punt protector will make opposing teams awfully nervous quite a few times per game. How many teams have such a credible threat to convert a trick play on the field on every fourth down? The Pats definitely don't.

Exactly.

I was going to post a related concern earlier but the Mallett defense league has a low tolerance for hypothesis. If he doesn't progress (from an unimpressive rookie debut irrespective of circumstance) it also sets up something of a conundrum going forward since there isn't any depth behind him pushing him or potentially passing/replacing him and Hoyer won't be here on a franchise tag or otherwise come 2013. He wants a shot at a starting job and he will likely get at least the appearance (and unaffordable as a pure backup contract to match) of one.

Really wish they'd taken a shot on McElroy...but Mallett falling to a slot they coulnd't find value for took that possibility out of the equation. The best QB on the JETS roster may never be a franchise caliber starter but he looked to better fit the part of a solid backup in this system.

I wasn't as upset as you were with the Mallett pick initially. I get Bill's desire to create value where he perceived none and with the QB position in particular via trading chip. But the more I saw and read about this kid, apart from any off the field concerns, the less he seemed like a fit here as a backup, let alone successor... And Bill just isn't built to be the salesman that you have to be in part to make that investment work. He isn't going to showcase players for trade at the expense of or to the detriment of getting his team ready to turn in a winning season. And barring catastrophe, it's become the norm for mediots and scouts to downgrade the value of any backup here for the same reason they long strove to downplay Brady's value...the system QB label.

Might be time to start rooting against Cassel rebounding in KC much as I'd hate to...LOL Or next season I may have to commence rooting against whatever team Hoyer is getting a shot on... Because as KOC and Gutz and even Rohan underscore, you don't always get even a viable backup via the draft, whether you go high or low. Although Bill or Josh hopefully have their eyes on another late round sleeper or UDFA come 2013. Because we're gonna need a viable #3 developmental prospect by then if not a #2. And God help us if we need a #1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back