PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5/24 OTA Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian

Any thought about organizing training camp reports and reporters this year?

Yes we definitely will. I'm going to try and sift through 2010 and 2011 and try and put those together as well. We didn't do that the past two seasons, so I'll create one so we can get those going again :)

Last edited:
The Ras-I Dowling reports seem to be contradictory, I don't really like that at all.

it's interesting what i got out of that as far as the secondary rotation. As they said McCourty was at CB, Ras-I was lining up against Lloyd, No rookies were starting (but were close) and he said there was a consistent set up i would guess that atm we have Chung and Gregory at safety with Ras-i McCourty at cb with Arrington in slot.

This makes me assume Wilson was getting in there as a Slot CB and the 3rd safety with Barrett.

Really have my fingers crossed that someone can emerge as the clear choice opposite Chung and Ras-I can stay on the field

WAAAYY to early to read anything into these reports other than OCHO still has his head somewhere else....... :ugh:

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect example of what 99% of football threads are. One fact we learned is that Llyod is doing awesome, another is that Ocho jumped off sides and lined up wrong. Most responses, ofcourse are in bashing Ocho while ignoring the good.

I see it more like: we now know that, at the outset of OTAs, Lloyd made a good play or two, and Ochocinco made a bad play or two. It's one day- doesn't make it meaningless, but let's not go and prop one day's results up as being indicative of a whole lot.

I see it more like: we now know that, at the outset of OTAs, Lloyd made a good play or two, and Ochocinco made a bad play or two. It's one day- doesn't make it meaningless, but let's not go and prop one day's results up as being indicative of a whole lot.

Read into it what you want but it seems a continuation of a pattern: Llyod thrives in a Patriots offense and Ocho is lost in it.

Last edited:
the fact that Ocho cares more about his Starbucks card than he does learning the playbook says a lot.

the fact that Ocho cares more about his Starbucks card than he does learning the playbook says a lot.

That and his reality TV show. Wonder how many laps he will be running tomorrow

Ocho still having trouble getting lined up..

0073_9x6v.gif

Well, I guess that is what OTA's are for.

I tweeted him "how long will it take for you to learn the playbook?"..lets see if he responds LOL

Hopefully LLoyd can light it up and we can start lessening Wes Welker role on this offense.

Hopefully LLoyd can light it up and we can start lessening Wes Welker role on this offense.

So we can throw the current post-Moss era out the window?

I'm guessing that it's a pretty high probability that Welker remains our bread and butter, especially for almost 10 million dollars this season (amongst many other reasons that lean towards productivity).

Llyod is exactly what we needed for a 'downfield threat/stretch the field' kind of guy, and that alone can pay dividends for everyone.

While I do want the added bonus of being able to throw a bit more vertically (and more importantly draw coverage), I also do not want Brady having to sit back there and take a bunch of hits waiting for the route to develop or Llyod to get open either. I think that you may not be taking that into account when assessing Welker's importance here.

Welker and the slot are still an important part of this offense, and I expect that to remain the same--even if it means someone else will be taking over duties in 2013 and beyond.

If you're waiting for Llyod/Brady to be connecting deep every single game (which is basically the only way that they'd 'replace' Welker's productivity), I would lower my expectations...as exciting as it sounds, it's not going to happen to the extreme that some here think. Llyod is simply another piece of the puzzle, albeit a very important one in terms of his ability.

They didn't go from the Moss-era to a more successful one, only to revert back again. At least that's my opinion anyway, for whatever that's worth.

I hear what you're saying, but what we REALLY need is for the two sides to come to an agreement so that #83 can be here for the next few years to come. That will allow Brady the comfort to know where the open man will likely be, take lessened step drops, and ultimately get rid of the ball quicker. Not only that it will enable this offensive machine to consistantly put up big numbers.

Last edited:
Can we stop dumping on Chad Johnson? OK guys we get it he struggles in this offense.

I wonder how much longer BB will put up with it if Sinko is still in left field by training camp?

I think Sinko will be among the first round of cuts so he can shop for another team.

An offense that relies heavily on 2 passing options (Gronk and Welker) is great for fantasy football, but terrible when 1 of those options is hurt or has a bad game.

With a more balanced passing attack across the board - Lloyd, Branch, Gaffney, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez the Pats wouldnt miss a beat if 1 component was missing or taken out of the game.

I am in the camp of those that think it's way too early to tell anything much about the team in terms of production and depth charts. OTAs are the equivalent of prototypes, the full training camp is like a beta test for the team and the pre-season games a beta release. As this is one of the earliest OTAs it is more like the clay and stick model that you propose to get funding to build the prototype. Things are going to fall off and look rickety as the principles of the model are being refined. As one poster noted things that look good in OTA can change 180 degrees in the season.

The news that has most relevance to the future 2012 team is really news about injuries and absences and how much practice and familiarity players are getting with whatever BB and the coaches cooked up in the late winter/early spring.

I am in the camp of those that think it's way too early to tell anything much about the team in terms of production and depth charts. OTAs are the equivalent of prototypes, the full training camp is like a beta test for the team and the pre-season games a beta release. As this is one of the earliest OTAs it is more like the clay and stick model that you propose to get funding to build the prototype. Things are going to fall off and look rickety as the principles of the model are being refined. As one poster noted things that look good in OTA can change 180 degrees in the season.

The news that has most relevance to the future 2012 team is really news about injuries and absences and how much practice and familiarity players are getting with whatever BB and the coaches cooked up in the late winter/early spring.

Continuing your technology analogy, I would say that the first half of the regular season is an early release, with the full version 1 unfolding in the second half, and major updates installed in the playoffs. It's no surprise that OTAs are partly closed to the media and the media are not allowed to discuss anything related to strategy or schemes. I expect that BB will keep things pretty vanilla in pre-season games, and that he will be relatively conservative in how quickly he moves things along, on both sides of the LOS.

The Ras-I Dowling reports seem to be contradictory, I don't really like that at all.

Agreed. Hopefully he hasn't lost a step because of the hip injury and surgery. Hopefully just still regaining his full range of motion and quick twitch fluidity in the hips after surgery.

As for the contradicting reports I tend to go with Bedard's assessment of the actual plays more than Riess as I think Riess is a little more factual/stats oriented while Bedard does some pretty solid/fair play analysis.

There was a good deal of work on the screen game on offense. Some have speculated that Josh McDaniels might put a renewed focus on that area in his return to the coordinator job and they hit the ground running in that area.

Good. As for the other stuff in my opinion Stallworth is a big long shot to make the team unless there is an injury so him losing a step isnt a big deal. I'm not going to crap on Ocho for anything during OTA's but he has to know at this point that with 2 outside receivers that know this system now on the team that he needs to be better in camp or he's done. I hope Reiss is more on the money than Bedard, a healthy Dowling will be huge this year. Interesting that it was mostly 4 man fronts on D but again I'm not going to look too much into that with it being OTA's.

Only 76 days until the first pre season game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back