PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5/24 OTA Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herr Vollmer missing OTAs? Not good if the reason is his back.

Couple that with the fact that three FA linemen were brought in for looks, and this becomes somewhat more disconcerting. Hope Cannon is ready to make that year 2 leap.

Pretty sad that Lloyd can just waltz right in and be on the right page and Ocho STILL can't figure out what he's supposed to be doing. I just don't get why he can't get it.

Just as an FYI, Lloyd's been in the Patriots/McDaniels system for 3 seasons.

Well aware, but he hasn't been playing with the Patriots and catching from Brady/Hoyer ever. I'm sure even with McDaniels back, the terminology and nuances aren't 100% the same. System guy or not, it's still telling that he sounds great off the bat and Ocho still looks lost with a year in the actual home system. Really just a criticism of Ocho, and nothing to do with Lloyd.

Last edited:

Wet blanket! :(

Your're killing the little fun available to us off season, making fun of Ocho's confusion with all things Pats offense

There's plenty of depth, so not terrible for the Pats.
With Mankins and Waters out, I guess it's interesting that Gallery is at tackle. Seemed like he would be a better candidate at guard giving his current strengths and weaknesses.

Something we've been touching on in some of the threads for a couple of weeks.

In my opinion, there's more of a need at tackle than there is at interior positions right now, so that's a thought.

Another is Gallery's size, and the fact that he played tackle in college/early NFL (something I was not initally aware of either).

There's also the thought that Gallery is being groomed to play BOTH, depending upon the need.

In my opinion, the probability of all 3 is pretty high.

Since we're discussing the OL, I still think that the likelihood of Koppen starting at C is pretty high, much to the dismay of most posters. One of the bigger reasons for that prediction is the need for Connelly to play at RG.

Last edited:
Well aware, but he hasn't been playing with the Patriots and catching from Brady/Hoyer ever. I'm sure even with McDaniels back, the terminology and nuances aren't 100% the same. System guy or not, it's still telling that he sounds great off the bat and Ocho still looks lost with a year in the actual home system.

Johnson lined up wrong once, and he jumped a snap. It happens. I'm not saying that the underlying cause is/isn't there, because one day of OTA doesn't tell us much of anything. I'm just noting that pointing to Lloyd is not the way to show it, since Lloyd's actually had about 3 times as long in the system.

Last edited:
Pretty sad that Lloyd can just waltz right in and be on the right page and Ocho STILL can't figure out what he's supposed to be doing. I just don't get why he can't get it.

So how soon before BB let's Ochocinco go?

It would be nice if the Pats could get a pick for him, but that is unlikely at this point. BB has often released respected veterans early to give them a chance to catch on with another team, and he obviously respects Ocho.

Just as obvious though is that Ocho is not going to cut it here, and with the glut that already exists at WR, I'm thinking there isn't much reason to prolong this.

I have never been a fan of Ocho and his antics, but I root for the laundry, and even BB at this point has to be close to throwing in the towel on him.

Last edited:
Johnson lined up wrong once, and he jumped a snap. It happens. I'm not saying that the underlying cause is/isn't there, because one day of OTA doesn't tell us much of anything. I'm just noting that pointing to Lloyd is not the way to show it, since Lloyd's actually had about 3 times as long in the system.

I would agree. These stories often get overblown due to a reporter's early analysis regarding a play or two.

This thread is a perfect example of what 99% of football threads are. One fact we learned is that Llyod is doing awesome, another is that Ocho jumped off sides and lined up wrong. Most responses, ofcourse are in bashing Ocho while ignoring the good.

I'm being taking too seriously... I'm just noting the immediate discrepancy between the reports between the two of them. We all know Lloyd is primed to slide into the offense seamlessly and Ocho is still working an uphill battle. It's more of a "c'mon, man!" moment for Ocho. If we can't have premature, knee-jerk reactions to May OTA reports, what's the fun?

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect example of what 99% of football threads are. One fact we learned is that Llyod is doing awesome, another is that Ocho jumped off sides and lined up wrong. Most responses, ofcourse are in bashing Ocho while ignoring the good.

To be fair, most people expected Lloyd to come in and kill it as he has a wealth of experience in the system. Most people aren't shocked with Ocho's early reported struggles but were hoping for the best right out of the gates. Since that didn't happen, the reaction of disappointment is only natural.

Last edited:
I'm happy to hear mostly positive things, but OTA reports are really useless in the grande scheme of things. Remember when all the media fell in love with Chad Jackson at OTAs?

It is interesting reads, but nothing impresses me less than OTA and minicamp reports.

I'm being taking too seriously... I'm just noting the immediate discrepancy between the reports between the two of them. We all know Lloyd is primed to slide into the offense seamlessly and Ocho is still working an uphill battle. It's more of a "c'mon, man!" moment for Ocho. If we can't have premature, knee-jerk reactions to May OTA reports, what's the fun?

Not meaning to take you too seriously, buddy.

Your words are duly noted.

My only point was that sometimes too much media attn is placed on the viewing of a play or two...nothing more.

Things appear to have gone smoother in Foxboro than at certain other OTAs:

Giants' Hakeem Nicks fractures foot, out about three months | NJ.com

In the Giants' first organized team activities session on Wednesday, Brian Witherspoon tore a knee ligament.

Today, in the second OTA, a much more integral player suffered a significant injury.

Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot while running a route and is expected to miss about 12 weeks, the team announced. Nicks will undergo surgery on Friday to have a screw inserted in the bone.

Of course, predicting rehabs is an inexact science. Last year, then-rookie Prince Amukamara broke the same bone as Nicks on Aug. 6. He didn't practice fully until almost 15 weeks later.

Tebow used on punt protection, also throws 2 picks

Tim Tebow often appeared a step behind in the team's seven-on-seven drills and threw two interceptions on plays he later said were brand new.

Tebow later practiced as the up man in the punt formation, a role he said will be fun, and the Jets discussed with him in great detail.​

Things appear to have gone smoother in Foxboro than at certain other OTAs:

Giants' Hakeem Nicks fractures foot, out about three months | NJ.com

In the Giants' first organized team activities session on Wednesday, Brian Witherspoon tore a knee ligament.

Today, in the second OTA, a much more integral player suffered a significant injury.

Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot while running a route and is expected to miss about 12 weeks, the team announced. Nicks will undergo surgery on Friday to have a screw inserted in the bone.

Of course, predicting rehabs is an inexact science. Last year, then-rookie Prince Amukamara broke the same bone as Nicks on Aug. 6. He didn't practice fully until almost 15 weeks later.

Tim Tebow often appeared a step behind in the team's seven-on-seven drills and threw two interceptions on plays he later said were brand new.

Tebow later practiced as the up man in the punt formation, a role he said will be fun, and the Jets discussed with him in great detail.​

Good..eff them both.

Let's begin the GFY/FTW tour part 2 right now, starting with both NY teams.

Couple that with the fact that three FA linemen were brought in for looks, and this becomes somewhat more disconcerting. Hope Cannon is ready to make that year 2 leap.

Fwcking back injuries. They oftentimes become a source of recurrent issues.
Do we know if had surgery in the offseason?

-Jamman

Can we stop dumping on Chad Johnson? OK guys we get it he struggles in this offense.

ROFL, ROFL! A harbinger of things to come for the Jets! We will DESTROY Tebow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back