PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and Friggin 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
A yard is 36 inches and half a yard is 18 inches. So, using your own numbers, you're trying to argue with me over whether it's over a half yard short when the math using your numbers would have it at over a half yard short.

We're miscommunicating somehow. I think he had about 30 inches to go past the 35 yard line. If you set the back of the football at the 35 yard line, there would be 19 inches to go. But clearly the back of the football was past the 35, the question is how much.

Just for being that close it shouldn't even be debated...Norv and the Charges prevented themselves from winning.:mad:

11 inches long, sure, but as his knee lands, the ball is pointed roughly perpendicular to the turf. He is preparing to extend it out, but after his knee has already touched. He got full credit for that extension, incorrectly.

I agree the spot was wrong - he got too much credit for the extension.

I looked again but was unable to see that the ball is perpendicular to the turf when his knee goes down.

We're miscommunicating somehow. I think he had about 30 inches to go past the 35 yard line. If you set the back of the football at the 35 yard line, there would be 19 inches to go. But clearly the back of the football was past the 35, the question is how much.

First, the back of the football was not clearly past the 35, as I pointed out to you in that last clip. Second, you're making the assumption that the ball was laid out flat and level when the play was dead. I've seen absolutely nothing to back that.

First, the back of the football was not clearly past the 35, as I pointed out to you in that last clip. Second, you're making the assumption that the ball was laid out flat and level when the play was dead. I've seen absolutely nothing to back that.

We're probably disagreeing over when his knee is down. I think it is plausible to say that at (1) his knee is still up and (2) may be his foot? I don't know.

Attachments

• RiceKnee.jpg
    RiceKnee.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 79
We're probably disagreeing over when his knee is down. I think it is plausible to say that at (1) his knee is still up and (2) may be his foot? I don't know.

Again, the knee is down short of the 35. The player on the other side of the 35 has his leg there, which allows us to use it as a reference. Rice (and the ball) is not past that player's leg, meaning that Rice, and the ball, are less than 12 inches (a very generous assessment of any player's knee area) past that 35 yard line. Even if, for the sake of argument, we grant that knee another inch before it hits the ground, we're still talking about the ball being a half yard short, give or take that inch, the difference between 12 inches and the width of that player's knee area, and the 6 inches you were taking off from the 34.

Any way you slice it up, he was clearly short. we're now basically left with haggling about the difference between about a foot short and 18+ inches short. Given that, I don't really see a need to continue down this road.

Last edited:
Again, the knee is down short of the 35. The player on the other side of the 35 has his leg there, which allows us to use it as a reference. Rice (and the ball) is not past that player's leg, meaning that Rice, and the ball, are less than 12 inches (a very generous assessment of any player's knee area) past that 35 yard line. Even if, for the sake of argument, we grant that knee another inch before it hits the ground, we're still talking about the ball being a half yard short, give or take that inch, the difference between 12 inches and the width of that player's knee area, and the 6 inches you were taking off from the 34.

Any way you slice it up, he was clearly short. we're now basically left with haggling about the difference between about a foot short and 18+ inches short. Given that, I don't really see a need to continue down this road.

I am saying his knee is not necessarily down in the picture.

Say the knee is on the 35 and the 1st down is 6 inches from the 34. That's 30 inches from the knee to the first down. You think with a slight forward lean there is no way the front tip of the ball to the knee is 30 inches?

He more than likely was short according to the replay, not conclusive, but you can see it.

I am saying his knee is not necessarily down in the picture.

I'm saying that even if his knee's not down, it'll be down in about an inch or so. Go check out the frame by frame on that last link I posted, and go to 21 seconds. It's not a photoshopped picture. It's a video. He's down at that point.

As I said, you're haggling about 12 inches short versus 18+ inches short. Either way, he's short. Either way, it's not close enough to excuse the officials blowing it on the replay.

Last edited:
I'm saying that even if his knee's not down, it'll be down in about an inch or so. Go check out the frame by frame on that last link I posted, and go to 21 seconds. It's not a photoshopped picture. It's a video. He's down at that point.

As I said, you're haggling about 12 inches short versus 18+ inches short. Either way, he's short. Either way, it's not close.

Eh, you were right about one thing - let's stop. Have a good one.

So wait - the unofficial stick on the far sideline is closer to the line of scrimmage than the 34 yard line, right? But you think the official stick was further from the line of scrimmage than the 34? I don't see why? I can see the top of the near-sideline official stick in the video but it is very hard for me to extrapolate that visual down to a location on the ground that is obscured by the players on the near sideline.

If his knee is down at the 35 and the unofficial stick is correct, I'd say he needs roughly 30 inches past the 35 for the first down. And that is from the tip of the ball, no?

I fully admit to wearing deep purple shades as I write this, but part of me feels like I am actually being reasonable :confused:

You are correct in the way I am reading the sticks and I actually used the first stick or LOS on first down as my baramoter to think it might be further from the LOS than the the 34.

I am willing to give your purple eyes the benefit of 30 inches as you state as I was basically with my patriot eyes saying 3 feet (36 inches).

Ok so now start measuring your short running back from knee to tip of ball but also realize he was not laying flat when the knee came down he was at a 30-40 degree angle and I would contend based on the hight from knee to tip of ball, where his knee hit the ground and his angle at the time his knee hit that he could not possibly have eclipsed the even the 30 inches that your purple eyes required. :D

You are correct in the way I am reading the sticks and I actually used the first stick or LOS on first down as my baramoter to think it might be further from the LOS than the the 34.

I am willing to give your purple eyes the benefit of 30 inches as you state as I was basically with my patriot eyes saying 3 feet (36 inches).

Ok so now start measuring your short running back from knee to tip of ball but also realize he was not laying flat when the knee came down he was at a 30-40 degree angle and I would contend based on the hight from knee to tip of ball, where his knee hit the ground and his angle at the time his knee hit that he could not possibly have eclipsed the even the 30 inches that your purple eyes required. :D

Hey fair enough man. I swear I didn't photoshop anything other than scrawling a 1 and a 2 on that pic though!

Well hey - a football is 11 inches. So right there you are about 1 foot past the 35. If the first down is 30 inches from the 35, you've got 19 inches left to account for.

oh and one more thing it sounds like your mothers been telling stories about me again boy. hahahha:D

oh and one more thing it sounds like your mothers been telling stories about me again boy. hahahha:D

now there's an example of when you REALLY need to do some photoshopping ...

Anyone see the Game Day Recap on Sunday night? They were discussing the play and how, despite the result, it was a terrible decision by Flacco. Marshall Faulk chimed in and said that if Brady made that play we would hail it as a great play. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin immediately shut him down. Faulk sat there for the next hour sulking. It was hilarious!

Anyone see the Game Day Recap on Sunday night? They were discussing the play and how, despite the result, it was a terrible decision by Flacco. Marshall Faulk chimed in and said that if Brady made that play we would hail it as a great play. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin immediately shut him down. Faulk sat there for the next hour sulking. It was hilarious!

brady has that right for it to be called a great play whether it was or not..what has flacco won?

He was definitely short, any eye could really see that. I think that the officials really screwed that up from the get-go, and moving the sticks ahead quickly probably didn't help make matters easier. It was certainly a blown call.

We are pissed about it right now today, but I have a feeling that in a few weeks it will be old news that hardly matters. I'm not saying that I don't think that Baltimore isn't very tough etc, but I am saying that I think they lose another couple of games in the next 5.

brady has that right for it to be called a great play whether it was or not..what has flacco won?

A bad decision is a bad decision, not matter who makes it. Flacco is just lucky that the Chargers gave up twenty something yards to a checkdown, just as Brady would have been lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back