PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and Friggin 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same team that blew a 24 point 2nd half lead against Denver, getting steam rolled 35-24. Just more of the same from SD...

Even if Rice didn't convert Rivers could F up taking a knee, Norvs team finds ways where no one else thought possible.

Speaking of SD. What the hell has happened to Rivers? That dude has fallen off a cliff.

25 turnovers last year. 18 turnovers and 18 TDs this year.

He's always been abysmal under pressure but also had good numbers, past couple years not so much.

- How does Norv Turner still have a job ?

- How do 3 SD defenders all bunch up together to tackle Ray Rice and leave the entire left side of the field open to allow Rice to make that cut to the left ? Odds of that play happening again are equivalent to one hitting PowerBall - #Fate and #PissPoorJudgement and #OurLuck

- How do the officials, even after seeing Rice's knee down and the ball at or just barely over the 35 yard line actually RE-SPOT the ball at the 33 and a half yard line ? #WhatTheEffWereTheyLookingAt #AreYouBleepinMe?

- (Flacco = Horseshoe up ass): Thows a 3rd and 10 low percentage deep out pass that is high and miracuously caught by the finger tips by a very well covered Torry Smith. How the eff did that happen ? #Fate #PissMeTheEffOff

You say Flacco has a horseshoe up his ass.

BRO Brady must have at least 10 up his!! ;)

This is ultimately the reality of it. What we couldn't do a few times which is sealing the deal against teams like Arizona and Seattle, BAL-HOU are doing right now and will have to continue in the next few weeks to stay ahead of us. Though AZ and SEA are no cakewalks like some of these teams and a bit more of a challenge, fact is those are games we are supposed to win and we put ourselves in this position by blowing those games.

The most important things IMO is being healthy, namely Gronk/AHern, and having a fair officiating crew. I have confidence in our ability to take on any team in this league, and hopefully all the bad luck and BS breaks is out of our system. And please no more inept, biased officiating crews.

Exactly: we had the ball and the lead with less than five minutes left in the game and couldn't hold stay on the field.

My point is that we are being asked to agree with a refs decision who cant even understand the basic concept of left of the 34 and right of the 34 (from the cameras angle) as it pertains to the placement of the ball and where the sticks were in relation to the 34 yard line.

Ravens fan here. Don't want to stir up stuff but if you're open to hearing a different perspective, have a look at where the marker is at the 13 second mark:

[Original] [HD] Ray Rice's Phenomenal 4th & 29 Conversion [Review] - YouTube

The unofficial TV yellow line on the field is further from the line of scrimmage and on the other side of the 34 yard line, but the yard marker on the field is on the line of scrimmage side of the 34 yard line.

And, not only that - the far side marker wasn't the official marker. The official marker is on the side of the field closest to the viewer's perspective, and I don't know about you but I cannot see where that marker is.

I am not saying Rice got the first down. I do think it is not as clear-cut as you suggest.

Ratbirds continue to pull games out of their @ss.
They have a tough next five games, all against teams still in the playoff hunt. They play better at home, actually haven't lost at home is quite a while, but I could see them losing any of them the way their offense is playing.
Steelers home
Redskins on road
Broncos home
Giants home
Bengals on road

That is a brutal schedule. If they struggled against the Chargers, they'll definitely lose to the Broncos and the Giants.

My point is that we are being asked to agree with a refs decision who cant even understand the basic concept of left of the 34 and right of the 34 (from the cameras angle) as it pertains to the placement of the ball and where the sticks were in relation to the 34 yard line.

If you see no point to me complaining about a bad call that could effect the outcome of our playoff seed and all that matters is the next game then what is your reason for even being part of this message board nothing you write on here has any effect on anything that goes on on sunday.

The refs and the NFL aren't asking us to agree to anything. I watched that replay a dozen times too and I don't think the "re-spot" was unreasonable. You saw if differently. I'm not going to change your mind. You're not going to change mine. The bottom line, on which we might actually agree, is that Philip Rivers could have put the game away with one first down and, in typical Rivers fashion, threw up all over himself in a clutch game and clutch situation.

I think there's a difference between commenting on a call with which we disagree and going on and on about something over which we have no control, which is what I felt you were doing.

You're quite correct that nothing any of us writes here has an impact on much of anything, let alone what happens between the lines on Sunday.

I come here to discuss the Patriots, whom I've followed for distressingly close to four decades, and the NFL with like-minded people, many of whom are quite intelligent; sometimes, I just get tired of what comes across to me as whining. I'm sure that's not what was on your mind; it's just how I perceived your post.

Where's the line between "commenting" and "whining?," you might then quite reasonably ask. I have no idea, but I thought your post crossed over it. No big deal, but just what I thought and I said so. You disagree. Ain't free speech great?

if baltimore and houston keep pulling wins out of their butt holes like this i'm gonna lose all of my marbles

trying to upload a pic ...

Attachments

• RayRice.jpg
    RayRice.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 189
Let's face it - no one is going to help us out. I am resigned to the third seed right now, unless we beat the Texans, but even then they have to lose another game somewhere for us to overtake them, and we have to win out. Baltimore has to lose two more for us to overtake them. I don't see it happening.

Let's face it - no one is going to help us out. I am resigned to the third seed right now, unless we beat the Texans, but even then they have to lose another game somewhere for us to overtake them, and we have to win out. Baltimore has to lose two more for us to overtake them. I don't see it happening.

The only seed I'm (realistically) thinking about getting is #3 over the Broncos at #4; we have the tie-breaker, thank goodness. The Pats have had problems in Denver in December and January over the years and I don't want to play Manning there, whereas Peyton, by his own admission, just hates coming to Foxboro in January!

Anything better is, IMHO, gravy.

Last edited:
The only seed I'm (realistically) thinking about getting is #3 over the Broncos at #4; we have the tie-breaker, thank goodness. The Pats have had problems in Denver in December and January over the years and I don't want to play Manning there, whereas Peyton, by his own admission, just hates coming to Foxboro in January!

Anything better is, IMHO, gravy.

Right and I can actually see a scenario where Denver goes into Houston and beats them along with us going into Baltimore and beating them, setting up the AFCCG of (Denver at NE).

Right and I can actually see a scenario where Denver goes into Houston and beats them along with us going into Baltimore and beating them, setting up the AFCCG of (Denver at NE).

This would be great, but we are (obviously) getting ahead of ourselves here...

What would be worse...

A Manning brothers Super Bowl or a Harbaugh Brothers Super Bowl?

What would be worse...

A Manning brothers Super Bowl or a Harbaugh Brothers Super Bowl?

Trivially easy. Mannings would be worse. How couldn't it be worse? Either Goober gets a 2nd SB and now can put "multi-SB winner" on his resume, or Eli gets his 3rd (including 2 in a row) and ties Brady at 3.

Thanks to i82much for posting link to video. It isn't all that clear of a bad call to me. If someone can post an image or something countering this, I'd love to see it. E.g., knee clearly down, clearly not past the marker.

Thanks to i82much for posting link to video. It isn't all that clear of a bad call to me. If someone can post an image or something countering this, I'd love to see it. E.g., knee clearly down, clearly not past the marker.

You're welcome! About 1:29 of this video shows the replay, but it is very grainy and Rice is blocked from view by the defender on his way to the ground.

Ravens vs Chargers week 12 highlights - YouTube

I keep hearing people say his knee was down on the 35, but I don't know for sure if that's the case and if that is the case I don't know whether he'd have gotten the 1st down or not, really.

You say Flacco has a horseshoe up his ass.

BRO Brady must have at least 10 up his!! ;)

Opposition posters bring a lot to this Board when they make polite and intelligent comments, even if they challenge our provincial wisdom.

Another one of the benefits of opposition posters is that they occasionally have clever or funny things to say about the Pats, at which we have to laugh in spite of ourselves.

However, your retort to the Flacco "horseshoe" observation (a comment that was itself "humor challenged" for starters) is one of the lamest lines I've ever read out here. Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where George spends hours coming up with a bad response to a perceived insult, only to fall on his face at the big moment.

I'd stick to X's and O's if I were you. Ray Rice and that great run are plenty to brag on!

Last edited:
Regardless, a fourth and twenty nine should never even come down to the 'spotting of the football'. Shame on the Chargers for letting it even get to that.

You're welcome! About 1:29 of this video shows the replay, but it is very grainy and Rice is blocked from view by the defender on his way to the ground.

Ravens vs Chargers week 12 highlights - YouTube

I keep hearing people say his knee was down on the 35, but I don't know for sure if that's the case and if that is the case I don't know whether he'd have gotten the 1st down or not, really.

It seems clear his leg is down at the 35 (I am assuming the thickest of the white lines is the 35), but you are right even based on that his entire body was stretched forward, and assuming his body is 5 feet tall or more, it isn't clear at all it was a bad spot. Certainly not enough to overturn the call on the field in a drastic way.

A beautiful run, he deserved the first. This one is on the crappy Chargers' defense, not the refs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back