PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and Friggin 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ravens are winning games that teams that want to get to the SB have to win in ways that those teams have to win them; ugly and with some luck. What? We don't know about that?

Instead of griping about perceived bad calls or how inept or prone to choke Norv Turner and Philip Rivers are (which indeed, they are), let's just deal with the fact that eventually we're probably going to have to beat the Ravens in their own house and perhaps Houston in their house to get to New Orleans.

Personally, that's exactly what I expect this Pats team to do. And, they're going to win the SB when they get there.

It is what it is...let's not try to wish it into what it isn't.

Last edited:
What really gets me is two things.

1) Like everyone I dont see how they could spot the ball at the 33 and 3/4 spot on the filed when his knee was clearly down at the 35 and 1/4 spot. Maybe you could have spotted the ball at the the 34 and 1/4 spot which would have been a full 3 feet from a Short Ray Rices knee to the tip of the ball. A stretch in my opinion to say there was 3 feet there but given some poor camera angles I think we all could have lived with this spot which likely still would have been a first down as the sticks were at the 34 and 1/4 spot. Which leads to by bigger annoyance.

2) Given all of our complaints about the ref just not understanding how to use the solid lines painted on the field in relation to Ray Rices knee the Ref clearly shows that he has no clue by needing to pull the chains out to remeasure. The Sticks were cleary on the plus side of the 34 and they cleary spotted the ball on the minus side of 34 (33 and half is what they announce to the crowd).

I know this seems pretty harmless that they would need the sticks to confirm this but to me it just shows how utterly clueless this ref was at looking at the field and making a determination using the evidance present. I mean if you cant determine that the ball crossed one line and the stick is before that line than how can we trust that you placed the ball in the right spot to begin with.

I mean seriously go look at where the sticks are prior to the play and then listen to the ref announce 33 and half yard for the spot and then proceed to measure what was already clear to anyone with half a brain.

The Ravens are winning games that teams that want to get to the SB have to win in ways that those teams have to win them; ugly and with some luck. What? We don't know about that?

Instead of griping about perceived bad calls or how inept or prone to choke Norv Turner and Philip Rivers are (which indeed, they are), let's just deal with the fact that eventually we're probably going to have to beat the Ravens in their own house and perhaps Houston in their house to get to New Orleans.

Personally, that's exactly what I expect this Pats team to do. And, they're going to win the SB when they get there.

It is what it is...let's not try to wish it into what it isn't.

This is ultimately the reality of it. What we couldn't do a few times which is sealing the deal against teams like Arizona and Seattle, BAL-HOU are doing right now and will have to continue in the next few weeks to stay ahead of us. Though AZ and SEA are no cakewalks like some of these teams and a bit more of a challenge, fact is those are games we are supposed to win and we put ourselves in this position by blowing those games.

The most important things IMO is being healthy, namely Gronk/AHern, and having a fair officiating crew. I have confidence in our ability to take on any team in this league, and hopefully all the bad luck and BS breaks is out of our system. And please no more inept, biased officiating crews.

Last edited:
Pictures?

10char

What really gets me is two things.

1) Like everyone I dont see how they could spot the ball at the 33 and 3/4 spot on the filed when his knee was clearly down at the 35 and 1/4 spot. Maybe you could have spotted the ball at the the 34 and 1/4 spot which would have been a full 3 feet from a Short Ray Rices knee to the tip of the ball. A stretch in my opinion to say there was 3 feet there but given some poor camera angles I think we all could have lived with this spot which likely still would have been a first down as the sticks were at the 34 and 1/4 spot. Which leads to by bigger annoyance.

2) Given all of our complaints about the ref just not understanding how to use the solid lines painted on the field in relation to Ray Rices knee the Ref clearly shows that he has no clue by needing to pull the chains out to remeasure. The Sticks were cleary on the plus side of the 34 and they cleary spotted the ball on the minus side of 34 (33 and half is what they announce to the crowd).

I know this seems pretty harmless that they would need the sticks to confirm this but to me it just shows how utterly clueless this ref was at looking at the field and making a determination using the evidance present. I mean if you cant determine that the ball crossed one line and the stick is before that line than how can we trust that you placed the ball in the right spot to begin with.

I mean seriously go look at where the sticks are prior to the play and then listen to the ref announce 33 and half yard for the spot and then proceed to measure what was already clear to anyone with half a brain.

And what can the Pats or any of us do about any of that? All we can do is beat Miami in Miami on Sunday and then deal with tough games against Houston and SF. It's frustrating, I agree, but what's the point?

After missing every possible tackle opportunity, the refs (rightfully) are not going to reward San Diego, or go out of their way to nullify Rice's tremendous effort.

An appropriate head coach replacement for Chargers: Jack Del Rio

I doubt Jackie Boy can make Phillip Rivers become a dedicated film watcher. And that was horrific defense. In no universe should a check down turn into a 30 yard gain.

And what can the Pats or any of us do about any of that? All we can do is beat Miami in Miami on Sunday and then deal with tough games against Houston and SF. It's frustrating, I agree, but what's the point?

My point is that we are being asked to agree with a refs decision who cant even understand the basic concept of left of the 34 and right of the 34 (from the cameras angle) as it pertains to the placement of the ball and where the sticks were in relation to the 34 yard line.

If you see no point to me complaining about a bad call that could effect the outcome of our playoff seed and all that matters is the next game then what is your reason for even being part of this message board nothing you write on here has any effect on anything that goes on on sunday.

This is ultimately the reality of it. What we couldn't do a few times which is sealing the deal against teams like Arizona and Seattle, BAL-HOU are doing right now and will have to continue in the next few weeks to stay ahead of us.

You say this like Baltimore is great and were able to seal the deal and we stink and could not when you can easily compare the Penalty called on Gronk that would have sealed it vs Zona to the penalty not called on Anquan that would have basically ended the game with a loss for Balt. One penalty called one not is the difference between sealing a game and not.

Reality of it is that it is what it is but thats not to say that I cant complain about but the team and us as fans also must look past it and figure out how else we can secure the byes or figure out how to win 4 in Jan/Feb.

Speaking of SD. What the hell has happened to Rivers? That dude has fallen off a cliff.

25 turnovers last year. 18 turnovers and 18 TDs this year.

You say this like Baltimore is great and were able to seal the deal and we stink and could not when you can easily compare the Penalty called on Gronk that would have sealed it vs Zona to the penalty not called on Anquan that would have basically ended the game with a loss for Balt. One penalty called one not is the difference between sealing a game and not.

Reality of it is that it is what it is but thats not to say that I cant complain about but the team and us as fans also must look past it and figure out how else we can secure the byes or figure out how to win 4 in Jan/Feb.

It's not about being great or stinking, that will be determined when the time comes and I feel both teams are very good. It's about earning the right, so far this year yes they've had luck on their side but give credit where it's due, they've earned their record. And will have to earn a better record than us in the last 5 weeks.

Speaking of SD. What the hell has happened to Rivers? That dude has fallen off a cliff.

25 turnovers last year. 18 turnovers and 18 TDs this year.

Years of the team underachieving taking its toll?

Ray Rice said:
I left it in the hands of the officials. I’m not going to say that they owed us one, but I’m just glad we came out on top.

Owed you for what? Years of letting your team play by old timey rules? Or for handing you multiple games this season? The Ravens are quite possibly the biggest bunch of self entitled, fake tough guys in the league. I actually like Rice, but that's a boner of a quote.

Any good images, movies, gifs of this play that show things clearly?

I gotta admit...that last block by Anquan Boldin was absolutely amazing and was the difference in getting to that yard marker,Rice has no chance of making it if Boldin doesn't block that guy.

I'm pretty sure that was a graphic example of an illegal crack back block and should have been a 15yd penalty against the Ravens. Another call blown that would have ended the game in a Ravens loss. Bad enough they couldn't mark the ball right, but how did they miss that penalty when it happened right in front of the ball carrier? Wasn't it earlier this year that Spikes was flagged for the same thing on INT return?

I'll say again that SD didn't deserve any help from the refs after their ole's on Rice but the fact is those blown calls could change the course of the playoffs dramatically.

How about the steel eyed nerves of Flacco throwing a dump off when he needed 29yds? If Rice hadn't made it that's what everyone would be talking about.

Here's some video-
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/25/ray-rice-4th-and-29-chargers-ravens/1726101/

Last edited:
San Diego sucks, so I'm not at all surprised that happened.

I'd love for the Pats to play the Ravens in Baltimore in the playoffs. No way we lose to that team twice in a year. To watch and listen to that idiot fan base after a playoff loss is pure comedy gold (I live in MD). Especially if it's at home and to Brady and the Pats:)

I knew SD was going to blow that game because the Patriots have gotten no help from anyone all season. It's looking pretty far fetched for a bye right now. First, the Pats have to run the table, which is a very tall task considering their schedule. They also need Baltimore to lose twice and Houston to lose twice (with one loss to the Patriots). Stranger things have happened, but I just don't see it. Actually, the most important thing when you look at the way the AFC competitors are playing, is to maintain that tie breaker over Denver....

San Diego sucks, so I'm not at all surprised that happened.

I'd love for the Pats to play the Ravens in Baltimore in the playoffs. No way we lose to that team twice in a year. To watch and listen to that idiot fan base after a playoff loss is pure comedy gold (I live in MD). Especially if it's at home and to Brady and the Pats:)

Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go to Baltimore while Baltimore hasn't lost there in years... let's see how they deal with the pressure.

Denver is the only team where home field advantage is a gigantic advantage for either the Pats or Broncos. I wonder if playing at Houston would actually benefit the Pats.

What a joke! Texans & Ravens really cashed in for "Thanksgiving"

Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go to Baltimore while Baltimore hasn't lost there in years... let's see how they deal with the pressure.

Denver is the only team where home field advantage is a gigantic advantage for either the Pats or Broncos. I wonder if playing at Houston would actually benefit the Pats.

I would say Denver looks to be the team that's developing into the biggest threat. I'd prefer to play them here in Gillette if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back